Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experiences to share regarding moving to a new house, and the impact upon their dood?

Our home is on the market, and hopefully sell soon (!!!) - I was just curious if anyone has had "housebreaking issues" in their new homes.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
164 Posts
I personally have not moved, but when we got Leno he obviously moved from one house to another. He was potty trained when we got him, but the first 2 days he was here he had several accidents. I think he just had to adjust to a new surrounding, or maybe he was even scared or nervous. But after that he was fine!

Good Luck with your move!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I haven't moved with Cinnamon, but we have gone to visit for weeks at a time. She seems to do just fine. She is nervous the first night, but seems to settle down once she sees we're staying too. I have moved with a dog and it's the same way. they like their people family to stay close for a while. I guess my advice is to let the dog know they are still part of your family! Good luck on your move!

·
Registered
424 Posts
We rented a house for a week for a vacation and took the dog. We just showed her the backyard area that she was to "go" in and she got the idea. I think they understand what is living space as long as there are people in it. But I would watch your dog in areas such as the basement or garage in case he doesn't understand that is part of the home too.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
We moved and the first time we took the dogs, they went outside and wandered through the bedroom finding an open doggie door and RAN back through the house and out the open front door! They were gone for about an hour...running all over the hills and hot pavement. When we finally found them (thank God we did) they couldn't walk for 2 days! Seriously, they couldn't ...the pads of their feet were so cut up and sore that they had trouble moving.
I felt so horrible...so I caution you...please don't give you dog a chance to "break out" while exploring a new home!
Otherwise, they did fine. As long as we were all together. It was hard at first when we had to leave them...but they soon knew that this was their home.
You might find that they bark at things unfamiliar too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts