Labradoodle Forums banner

how would you contain a doodle in an unfenced yard?

• electronic fence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • long lead tethered to a tree

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG my wife and I just purchased our first house. Hershey will be so happy.

Currently we are in the top floor apartment of a house and while she gets to go outside alot, its always in the park and always supervised so she has to be on good behaviour.

Our new place has almost 1/2 an acre of lawn but no fence. What do people here think of electronic fences vs a long lead that lets her romp about? it may take a few months to actually fence in a large area for her properly. I plan to fence it, it will just take some time to pick the right style, size, stain, etc.. and get the post hole dug. Its goint to be a DIY project.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Having used both systems, (different dogs, different phase of life) I definitely vote for the electric fence. It is easy to install, and both of my dogs are very content staying within the fence boundaries. I used one of the dog runs in the past and my dog seemed ok with it, but these are problems I had with the run: sometimes the dog would get excited chasing something and forget where the run ended until she got snapped back, sometimes she got tangled in it, either she would get wrapped around the tree it was attached to, or a couple of times the wire got wrapped around her leg, sometimes the lead would spill her water, kids who run into the dog area can get badly hurt by the wire when the dog runs past them (this is a serious concern if you have little kids who will be about neck level with the lead on the dog), and then finally, the dog was left out of family activities that weren't taking place right where she was and this made her very unhappy.

Congratulations on the new house--how exciting for you.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I myself would save the money for the DIY fence and tether but never unattended. I don't like the electronic fence because it keeps the dog in, but doesn't keep anyone or animal out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I vote for electronic radio fences. It does depend on the dog, but our Doodle was very easy to train to it and she has had absolutely no problems straying out of it (knock on wood). Plus you can fence as much of your property as you want. We've got 5 acres fenced, but at our old house we had 1/2 acre fenced. When we moved, we took the collars and the box with us and they just had to install new wire.

G

·
Congratulations!!!
The tether here lasted one day. It really made her hyper and upset when she could would reach the end of the line. Since we had to wait a few months to install the electric fence, that meant walking her on leash outside a lot. So I would do the electric fence or just wait and do the real fence (you may not want the real fence if you do the electric fence first and like it.)
Some dogs do ok on a tether though , and it's cheap so you could try it. I wouldn't use a tree though, get an in ground stake that swivels so it does not tangle (too much).

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well, I vote for the electric fence if it will be a few months, or so, until the real fence is in. I use the swivel stake in the front yard of our house when I am working and watering out there. Coco doesn't seem to mind, since I am right there. She does knock her water bowl over, and she does get tangled in it some.....but, again ~I am right there to untangle her. She doesn't use it as a romp-around-the-yard opportunity, that much....simply to be out with me with my hands free to garden.

I agree that you may decide to not have a fence once you see how well the electric one works....though I agree with Gene....I like being able to keep other animals and whatever......outside my yard. We are close to a creek and have seen many coyotes wander through our neighborhood.

Many Blessings on your new home and life there!!
8)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
we just moved last weekend and have our electric fence on top of the grass with the flags around and are dogs know their boundaries! We are building a 6ft cedar fence, but it takes a little time with DH working and all. I love our electric fence, this is the fourth home we have used it at!

(just a note here, the neighbors walking their dogs past do get a little scared when they see my three huge dogs running towards them and dont realize the will stop halfway down the front yard! ok not funny but I did laugh at a few of their expressions :))

1 - 7 of 7 Posts