Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I buy Natural balance sweet potato and fish kibble. It is the only food that stopped her itching and ear infections...oh and runny poops! :oops:

My husband says she eats better than the kids! :shock: :D

Gabrielle

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hi, and Happy Easter weekend back atcha!

I asked my food distributor to explain about the meat type of "meal" and it's all good! CORN or grain meal is not good. Corn specifically has been the culprit in lots of doodle/poodles who have hair in their ears.

Meanwhile the chicken meal is (I'm told) a dehydrated form of meat, so that the density of protein per pound is higher. basically it takes the water out.

does that help?

I've heard good reports on Inova too, by the way :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi Megan

Denver has been on Canidae for a very long time
and we live in British Columbia.
Maybe it is not in Ontario?????????

Happy Easter to you too...........

·
Registered
576 Posts
dixiesmom said:
I buy Natural balance sweet potato and fish kibble. It is the only food that stopped her itching and ear infections...oh and runny poops! :oops:

My husband says she eats better than the kids! :shock: :D

Gabrielle
Is that Dick Van Patten's? Where do you buy it? Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dixiesmom wrote:
I buy Natural balance sweet potato and fish kibble. It is the only food that stopped her itching and ear infections...oh and runny poops!

My husband says she eats better than the kids!

Gabrielle

we are actually in the process of switching from Dick Van Patten Duck & Potato to the Sweet Potato and Fish. We buy at petfooddirect.com...Apparently Kirby may be allergic to duck so we're giving the other variety a try.

·
Registered
576 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
dixiesmom wrote:
I buy Natural balance sweet potato and fish kibble. It is the only food that stopped her itching and ear infections...oh and runny poops!

My husband says she eats better than the kids!

Gabrielle

we are actually in the process of switching from Dick Van Patten Duck & Potato to the Sweet Potato and Fish. We buy at petfooddirect.com...Apparently Kirby may be allergic to duck so we're giving the other variety a try.
I'm confused 'cause it looks like one is made by Dick VP and one is Wellness. Or, are they the same thing?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey there,

I have my guys on Orijen Large Breed Puppy. They seem to be doing well on it so far, but I've only been through one 30 lb bag for 2 doodles. At my local pet store they think EVO is better than Orijen but my guys are too young to be on it right now. I had them on it before I realized that it is too high in calcium for them.

I like Orijen because it also has a fish formula which I've heard can be easier to digest. (sometimes chicken is hard on them?)

Has anyone ever fed their dogs fresh/frozen cooked fish? Just curious because I can get some great deals on frozen cod and I do give my pups some fresh cooked chicken/beef with lunch.

I hope you find the right food!

Cheers,
Sarah

·
Registered
98 Posts
The breeder that I got Murphy from has recently switched to Orijen so i looked into it as I trust what she feeds, but found that on the analysis it is very high in protein and might be better for when they are older. It is all sooooooo confusing! So for now I'm going to stick with the Innova large breed puppy.

·
Registered
385 Posts
In my research the high protein isn't a concern it is the high phosphers and calcium levels. That is why I switched my guys from EVO to Orijen. I wanted them on a grain free food and the Orijen is lower in calcium. I think EVO is around 4% which is really high. For large breed puppies you should be under 1.5% in the calcium department.

Hope this helps! :)
S

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi Megan,

That is an interesting theory. My dogs ONLY eat other dog's poop and they have been on Orijen/EVO for a while now. And they are very selective about the poop they eat. I've also hear that they like dogs poop that are on the Raw diet.

So many theories but all I really know is that my dogs like poop! :lol: :shock:

Sarah

·
Registered
73 Posts
My Callie eats Orijen LBP, and eats poop - but only our cat's poop! It is a challege to keep her out of the cat food, and also out of the litter boxes. She seems to like cat food so well she'll go for it new or used (Ewww).

(When she was a small puppy she also seemed to want to eat the poops of the Canada Geese who rested at the park, but she seems to have given up on that - thank goodness!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts