Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! I am loving reading this board, I can tell I'm going to learn a lot here.

We have two little sweet girls that if you can believe it, we found at the SPCA! We had been looking at Labradoodles and loved them but just couldn't find the money in the budget so had decided to find a nice mutt. When looking at the online list, they had two "labrador/poodle mix" littermate puppies and we figured it was too good to be true, but went to look anyway. From all appearace they are perfect little Labradoodles! Even if they are not pure though we love them and are having a great time with them.

We got them at two months old and have had them about three weeks now and they are fitting in great. I do have a few questions for you lovely people though.
1. What is the best puppy food? I found the graded list you all have here but most of the ones high on the scale seem to be adult foods. Also, what can they have besides dog food and dog treats for some variety?
2. What is normal weight for them at this age? Also at what age do they reach full size? We don't know if they came from a standard or medium poodle and would like to have a way to gauge how big they will get. They are about ten pounds each now at about 10 weeks old.
3. We are crate training them together, is that the right thing or should they each have their own?

That's all I can think of for now, Here is a picture of my babies!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b151/ ... ct0332.jpg

:) DoodleMom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thank you! I forgot to tell their names. The smoother one on the left is Cocoa and the fluffier one on the right is Snickerdoodle.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Doodlemom,

If you can find the Canidae it is an all stage food that our puppies came to us eating. We can get it at Pet Supplies plus in our area, check out their website for a store in your area. Weight varies, Lani was 11.7 lbs at 11 weeks and Toby was 21 lbs at 11 weeks. They are both standard size Lani is a 1 year now and about 55 lbs. Toby is 9 months and is 70 lbs. I have read that by about 9 months they pretty much have their height and will fill out up to about 18 months.

The crate I'm not sure about but I think probably 2 crates. It has been suggested that when having 2 dogs that they need to get use to having alone time and not be so dependant on having the other around. Ours are 3 months apart in age and have separate crates next to each other. It has worked out very well. We just have a living room with doggi condos :wink:

Congratulations they are beautiful!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
they are lovely! I would guess their full grown weights at 50-65 pounds. I like Nutro Natural Choice Oatmeal Rice Chicken Puppy food. (petco, petsmart or your local feed will normally carry it) and I dont feed anything else except an occasionaly paul newman organic treat, so others will have good chew toy suggestions for you.

Oh I would think together wouldbe fine but as they are a little older it would benefit you to separate them for those times when one has to go to the vet or something, I know its a good idea for them to learn a little separation.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Congratulations! That was a terrific find. I bet they are so happy to stay together, too! :D Can't wait to hear more about them as they grow.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi Doodlemom-

They are so cute!! Dexter weighed 15 lbs when we got him (8.5 weeks old) and he weighed 47 lbs at 5 months (the breeders estimated he will be 55-65 full grown, but we think he'll be more like 75 lbs). We feed him Nutro large breed puppy food (lamb variety). We previously fed him Iaams Smart Puppy (large breed), but read some bad things about it so we switched.

In terms of treats, we have fed him the Iaams puppy biscuits, milkbone bisquits (not sure how good they are, but he sure likes them and we use them sparingly), Authority Liver Treats (from Petsmart) and Nature's Recipe Training Treats (he really likes those and they're nice and small!). I know we have tried other treats too, but these are his favorites. He also loves the "natural bones" (we have found them at Petsmart and Wegman's food store)...we buy the empty ones and put peanut butter in them. Also Kong's are great (you need to put treats in them).

Good luck!

G

·
They are gorgeous! And I would say from the looks of those paws they came from a standard poodle. :lol:
Here is a growth chart from another site:
http://www.goldendoodles.com/Health/growth_chart.htm
If I am reading it correctly it says the puppies are now 50% of their total height and 25% of their total weight....soooo (Math experts join in here!)
I would estimate 40 pounds full weight. That is small, so maybe the poodle WAS a Mini or maybe the Lab was small?
I use Wellness puppy food, it is made with human grade ingredients.
Congratulations!!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
CONGRATS doodlemom!!! You've got 2 beauties there!!!! and at a pound wow!!!!

MAX is doing great on NUTRO oatmeal/rice/chicken sold at Petco and local pet shops. Some doodles have sensitive tummies

I would NOT crate them together just from past experience...they do need time alone and also not become more dependent on each other. The puppies need to also bond with you as well. When fully grown mature adults they may tend to sleep together but as puppies they should have separate crates.

Max was 28bs at 13weeks...is 55lbs at 6mos just to give you an idea.

you are so lucky and your life is going to be enlightened with love, laughter and smiles

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much :)
We just ran up to Petco and found the Nutro food and the kong toys which they are loving at the moment! Can we use regular peanut butter in those or does it have to be the spray stuff? Also I saw somewhere that they can have carrots, is it too soon for that?
We also picked up some of that deoderant spray to maybe help with the doggie smell. Don't want to bathe them too often but they do get a bit fragrant after a while.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I actually recommend the natural peanut butter (dont know why its called natural) it doesnt contain sugar or corn syrup. Most large supermarkets sell it nowadays. (finally :))

·
Registered
853 Posts
On the carrots, my Doc loves them, but, usually throws them up sometime later. It seems he can't really digest them. I know some dogs can handle them and love them. Doc is a year old now and still throws them up.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Congratulations Doodlemom on such a great find :!: They are 2 lucky Doodles :D

If you continue to crate them together, just make sure you separate them for short training sessions.

Jac will probably chime in here, I believe she crated Lexie and Bailey together if I remember right so she will be able to give you some good advice on that.

Have fun :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We use regular peanut butter (I have also bought the spray kong peatut butter and it's really convenient and easy to use, but much more expensive than regular peanut butter). Dexter seems to like the taste of both equally.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I stuff a few doggie treats inside THEN smear the peanutbutter on the kong. :D Max loves it but must say if it's peanutbutter only He licksit longer.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I use regular peanutbutter (Skippy)..he always has digested it even with his sensitive tummy

Carrots are a no go....chicken broth/soup gives him the squirts and other rochester doodles as well :roll:

Regular Milkbones give Max SBDs...so I use Innova and also Nutro dog treats

·
Registered
83 Posts
Congrats,
Your new babies are absolutely adorable! My two cents on the Kong and peanutbutter... I line the inside with peanut butter then pour in cheerios.
That right regular ol Cheerios. The Cheerios stick inside and it takes her some time to finish it. Without the Cheerios, she eats the peanut butter in no time at all. I give it to her when I comb her. It keeps her so busy and distracted she lets me! No Kong = No grooming! :wink:

G

·
Karen, great idea! Bella won't eat peanut butter :? , so I will try the cheerios with yogurt in a kong. Sounds good!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts