Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a brush and leave in conditioner from Chris Christensen. The brush has long bristles (I sometimes feel like the bristles on the Le Pooch brush are not long enough) and really worked great. Bella still has a short coat left over from after the last grooming disaster :lol: . I'll let you know how it works when her coat grows in. But I really like the feel of the wooden handle and the way is reaches down to her skin. I ordered the #27 oval for $23 because I read a recommendation by a poodle owner.
I also tried the Ice on Ice leave in conditioner. I love it. There is no strong smell, it is a spray pump bottle that sprays out a very light mist. It does make the tile floor a little slippery where you use it (not a bad as the Cowboy Magic ). I would put a towel down next time.
http://www.chrissystems.com/iceonice1.htm
If anyone else has any suggestions, please post! I really want to know how the groomers get that fluffy look post grooming. :D
Here she is relaxing, post brushing:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well, Riley's cut is very similar to that. Short fur on his body and long fur on his head. Whenever I brush him I love to make his long fur poofy!! Im not sure if this is exactly what you were talking about but...
1. I hold down his fur on his head so it's going towards his head.
2. Then I just brush little bits of hair from the back to the front with my hand still holding down the hair.
3. I also just brush up instead of in the direction of the fur.

Hope this works...

·
Registered
23 Posts
grooming

I will be interested in knowing how this brush works for you. IRS has poodle hair- really thick and in parts wiry and she brushes up like the poodles at the dog shows. I try to keep her cut to about 2 1/2 inches long and her face shaved (or she can't see anything in front of her) but those short wire brushes don't even get to the base of her hair. Any conditioners that do the trick, I am interested in also. Belle has fleece and is a lot easier to deal with except that she is a squirmwiggle when brushed (She winds up looking like she has been playing Twister). I'll be looking for your critique on the brush and conditioner. I want to know how you use it also. As for the fluff, yep- holding it up and taking short pieces at a time works.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
our grooming sessions usually turn out being one sided.....meaning, jonah lays on one side and after i'm done, refuses to let me do the other side! :x
when we're finished...he tells me...he lokks like the old half man /half woman from the circus. one side neat, the other side crazy :roll:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had those 'one side' problems in addition to 'biting the brush and hand' problems until.............
I placed a large towel on the dryer and set her on top. I'm not sure why it works, but she stands or sits perfectly still for me, and my back no longer hurts from twisting and contorting my body to reach her. :lol:
Try it and let me know if it works!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used to be a hairdresser so when I got IRS I was all into grooming her. I bought the big air blaster dryer and brushes and even the table with the bar that holds her leash. She outgrew it in record time so I am stuck with a table for a medium size dog. Thanks goodness for that dryer. If I had to use my own dryer, I don't think she would ever get dry, she has that much hair. IRS is good to groom until I come to her feet, then she curls them up under her and that is that. It would take an act of God- not food- to get her to show them to me. I wind up having to do about 2-3 inches at a time- takes me days just to get her feet and lower legs done.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tucker's way too big to put on the dryer but I just spent all morning bathing and combing him out (He's going to meet my son's 2nd grade class this afternoon). My back is killing me. I've been putting conditioner on him in the bath then combing him out while wet. It works but what a chore! I only towel dry him out for the natural look. Wish he could fit in the sink-haha!

·
Registered
23 Posts
It takes me a whole day to bathe the 2 of them. The last time I did it it was on a Saturday and I got down to my undies. My husband asked me why I was undressing......he has never bathed them! I told him that when IRS is tired of the bath, she butts her head into my chest and, with her hair, I am soaked in no time. When Belle has had enough she does her squirmwiggle routine. They both behave until they feel they have been patient enough then I get a bath too.
I have been using Maine n' Tail when they are dry and it works pretty well but I am all for other suggestions, especially for IRS who has that wiry frizzy poodle hair.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
2doodles...Max always cries when someone takes a bath and he isn't allowed to with them

Anyway, other day max and I got muddy from the creek.
I put on a bathing suit...walk into the shower and max just follows in.

Only thing, after he's done catching water with his teeth, he LAYS down in the shower and well it's like a one sided shampoo. He almost falls asleep while I lather him up hahahahhaa I had one heck of a time convincing Max to stand up to rinse him off.

He's getting used to the blowdryer on low....he still attaks towels.

Anyone have any good hints on trimming the lower part of their beards?
Max's is lopsided right now :lol:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
annmarie, maybe just have max tilt his head to one side and it will look even! :wink: i myself couldn't even try to use scissors with the way Jonah jerks at the brushing, 1 of us would end up stabbed...probably me! :roll:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
know what? I couldn't believe just earlier today Max sat like a soldier and let me finish trimming his beard with very sharp haircutting scissors.

So all total 3 times to do the job...hmm he's 5mos i think that's fairly good

He looks so nice now :D

Oh I brush Max daily and it took about 3 weeks for him to stop biting the wooden handles bristle one...the wire brush ehhh another story.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Annemarie I love Max's sweatshirt. Our doodles are black and our carpet is forrest green- we can't see them in the dark. My husband says I need to get material with the glow in the dark, or really white tees for them so we don't fall over them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought the brush and Ice on Ice. First, the brushing went very well. It does get right down to the skin and they don't mind it at all as the tips are not scratching them. I bought the big concentrate bottle, have to go to the beauty store for a spray bottle. I am looking forward to telling you all how it went with IRS. She has really thick coarse wool coat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have decided to try the Grooma Rake. I love the Grooma Comb, so I am sure the rake will be great! I found one cheap on eBay. I'll let you know after I use it.
http://www.grooma.com/rake.html
I like the Ice. It smells nice and makes her coat softer. I like the Chris brush. I can get closer to her skin with it and it does not appear to bother her (much :roll: )

·
Registered
104 Posts
labradoodle grooming dvd

I am a new labradoodle mom ... Mia is a five month old multi-gen miniature. You can see pictures of her on my Flickr space at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaa_pics/

Since her Mom and Grandmas and Grandpas on both sides as well as great-Grandmas and Grandpas all came from the two Australian breeders who developed the first labradoodles (Rutland Manor and Tegan Park) I decided I would check out their website for ideas about training and grooming doodles.

I ordered both of the DVDs they had available about grooming on their website -- Doodle Country Store -- http://www.doodlecountry.com/
While there is overlap between in the material on the two DVDs I found there was something for me to learn on each one. They are a bit pricey as they are shipped from Australia. But I thought they were worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts