Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all the times i've had my dogs neutered, they would stay overnight at the vets. now i see some vets take them in in the morning and out by 5pm. which one is the better way? isn't 1 day rushing it? i'd like some in-put on this before i take luther. this new vet he will be having, has them stay overnight. thanks, debbie

·
Registered
215 Posts
There are a lot of different opinions on this. The vets that I worked with believed that dogs should stay overnight. I guess its more important with spaying females since its more invasive surgery, but they really should stay quiet that first night. Many people say that they will be better at home where they can be watched since most vets don't have anyone after hours to check on the dog. But, that means that you have to pick them up, put them in the car, get them out of the car, and they will be excited to see you and to be home. That's a lot of excitement and activity for a dog that just had surgery. We never ever had a problem with something happening overnight. The positives outweigh the negatives- I wouldn't want my dog jumping around right after surgery. Just my two cents... everyone has their own opinion. Good luck!

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Debbie,
I think that much of the time, we rely on "old standards" of behavior...I don't know if neutering males has changed much, but I do know that spaying females is very different as it can now be done through laser surgery. Obviously, using laser surgery is much less hard on them than when they have to have an incision. So, the need to stay overnight is not so great with laser surgery.
My only experience with this has been with my litter of puppies and we had them spayed/neutered at 8 weeks. My vet let them go home quite early (and I was concerned about that too) but they did really well. I kept them as quiet as possible (when I had so many, it was hard) but they were really upset at the vet's office, so I think that they did better at home. (They were howling and crying because they were in separate crates at the vet's and they didn't like being apart from each other.)
I personally like to have them home with me and as long as I know that I can call the vet if anything happens, I feel that it is a safe place for the pet to be. (But then too, I don't have young children at home and that might be another thing to consider.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,
How ironic to be reading this post today. It is 6:20 am and Jasmine is sitting beside me and "poking" me with her nose as if to say "Hey Mom, what gives.....where's my breakfast?". What she doesn't know is that
she is going to the Vet's at 7:30 am for her spay surgery. I trust and love my Vet and I know she will do fine......my husband, however, is a different story! He is an absolute wreck...LOL!
Our Vet said he would ideally like to be able to send her home around 5:00 pm, but that depends on how she comes out of the anesthesia, tolerates water, etc.
It will be a long day for us for sure!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just one thought..
If your dog was to be stressed while at the hospital, or trying to scratch out of his kennel ect they can do more harm than good. They rebound really fast from a neuter. I was surprised that my boy was moving like nothing happened. That is why they dont keep them on pain medication, so they dont think they are fine and do too much.

It is stressful though. I remember how I felt leaving my trusting boy at the vets.
Good luck
Terri Lynn

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sawyer just had his neuter surgery 2 days ago and you would never even know it. We brought him home same day around 4:00p.m. and have had him leashed or crated most of the time so as to keep him quiet and he has been fine. Every once in a while he starts to play with a toy a bit vigorously, but I have been giving him some peanut butter on his favorite rubber chew toy toothbrush and it keeps him busy for a long time.

My vet advised me that they tend to come out of it better/faster when they recieve IV fluid and pain meds, which we opted for. We have been putting aloe on the incision, which is phenomenal for its healing properties and tastes awful so he won't lick.

I hope everything turns out well for all the pups being spayed/neutered around this time. Seems like a whole crop of us!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Jasmine will do just great! Don't you worry...my hubby is like yours, if there is any pain, snipping, nipping, general discomfort, or anything "icky" related to his babies, he is in mourning until they get home and bounce all over him again.

Please let us know how she is doing when you get a chance.

Susana, I never thought of aloe! What a wonderful idea! You are doing well to keep Sawyer down. I had 3 females done one day and 4 males 2 days later...it was IMPOSSIBLE to find places for them to be separated and they felt so good that they ran around and played just like normal. I was a nervous wreck! (I watched them like a hawk, couldn't sleep for fear one of them would over do.)

I was able to keep the "wounded" ones in the bedroom with me when they got home the day of surgery, after that, they all wanted to be together, so I put a wire crate inside the x-pen for the girls and they all settled right down. They just needed to be together.

They had no problems at all. I only had to give pain med the first day home (same day of the surgery) and then I gave them a little meds before bedtime so that they could sleep. They never acted like they were hurting at all. Amazing creatures, they are!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts