Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :
I want to bring up the neutering subject for some opinions please.
Denver is scheduled to be done on January 8th,(This is when my vet thinks it is best for a large breed puppy) he will be 7 months old on December 24th. Everyone has a different idea about when to neuter.
I have heard anywhere from 8 weeks to 12 months.
My friend neutered his male dog at 4 months old and thinks he made an error because his dog has never lifted his leg to piddle. Is this important? I know this may sound silly but even my vet wanted me to wait until Denver was 7 months or better so he would have time to grow into his maleness. Stay with me here folks, ok good, here is the question,
Denver has just started to lifted his leg to piddle, not all the time but starting to be more frequent. Does he need to have this lifting of the leg thing down pat before he gets done or not(you can all stop laughing now) Is this what the vet means about growing into his maleness? I am from the old school where we never neutered male dogs,(no money for those kinds of things in the olden days) Plus times were just different, anyhoo if anyone is still reading this could you please tell me if the lifting the leg thing is important, will other dogs snicker and say that he pees like a girl LOL

Blueteal

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
hi... :) I am still reading :)

there are so many opinions as you expressed, but I havent heard this one before. I thought the point (besides the obvious breeding prevention) was to neuter a male dog PRIOR to "coming into his manhood". One legged lifted on a tree could easily become a leg lifted on a couch is what everyone tells me.

now in real life I know that not to be true because I have three full size un neutered males and never ever have we lifted a leg in the house.
but again, I thought "they" say to neuter prior to "manhood" to prevent things like that from happening. Not sure I have ever came across a study saying how male dogs are suffering from squatting lol.

my only other thought would be testical cancer and the sooner removed the better I would think if the dog isnt going to be bred.

this is just years of what my vets have said and what I have heard and surely not a definitive, but I would be willing to bet if you called 10 vet offices and ask when they suggest nuetering a male it would be a very high percentage that said in the 4-6 month range.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you moviestar, I appreciate that you get my humour. As I said Denver will be done in January when he will be just a little bit into his seventh month. I had a border collie growing up and he was never neutered nor did he ever in the 13 years that we had him, lift his leg in the house. He also never fought with other dogs but he did like the ladies(like I said in those days we just did not know any better)lol

Blueteal

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We're getting Dexter neutered next week and he'll be almost 5 months old. He doesn't lift his leg yet to pee and I want to keep it that way :) My husband thinks it's funny that he'll continue to "pee like a girl", but I like it that way.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Frankie got neutered at just over 5 months, and still does not lift his leg, and he is 7 months now. A person I work with who has a lab, said his lab didn't start lifting his leg until he was over a year old. I figure as long as he is not going in the house, it really doesn't matter how he goes outside.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yep, the whole idea is to prevent all of those hormonal changes...including lifing his leg to mark his territory. Many male dogs "squat"...in fact, I actually found a web site about this once...and about 80% of the people said that their male dog never lifted his leg.
That is, after all, what most people want to avoid. 8)

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much everyone, and Jac, I really appreciate the break you are taking to answer this. Denver will be done January 8th and if he never lifts his leg, I know now that it does not matter.:)

Blueteal

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
how's the studying going jac?

as for me, as long as Max pees OUTSIDE I could care less if he squats from now to eternity :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts