Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there! We are getting Charlie neutered tomorrow (he is 6 mths old). Does anyone have any advice/tips about what will happen afterwards (recovery)? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
hi I just had a dog neutered two weeks ago and I simply dropped him off and when I picked him up he seemed fine.... :) He had stitches down there and I just had to watch that he didnt chew them and he never really bothered them so it worked out well. There really is nothing to it and nothing to prepare for. Of course as with everything there can be occasional problems. One would be if your dog chewed stitches..... very rarely an infection can present itself, but it is soooo rare. My dog actually urinated blood drops a little but it was no big deal as it was just an irritation from the stitches, but keep in mind the dog I had neutered was 4 pounds and at that size everything is so close down there :)

So dont be surprised if you get an awake or somewhat sleepy doggie that within a day is playing just like he always has!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. We are dropping him off tomorrow and I'm sure he'll be happy to rest in his crate by tomorrow evening!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
We had Toby neutered at 4 months, we also have another doodle who was 7 months at the time. Toby really didm not show signs of pain or discomfort. He stayed overnight and picked him up early evening the next day. We tried to keep them quiet but it was useless. He healed very fast and had no trouble. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'm sure Charlie will come thru his surgery like nothing ever happened. The hardest part afterwards is trying to keep them calm for a few days. Let us know how he does :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Best advice I can give is to follow your vet's instructions...and try, I repeat, TRY :wink: , to keep him from playing too hard!
He will probably act normal after the first day.
Some dogs lick/bite at the stitches, some don't...if he does, you might need an e-collar...but none of my pups needed one with neutering.
Let us know how he is doing!
Best wishes to you an to Charlie!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Otto was done a few weeks ago and had a E collar, I was the one that suffered, bruises to my legs with him charging about with it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well...it only took the short ride home in the car to know that the e-collar was going to be needed. Once we put it on him, he sulked, pouted, cried, and whined. He's still doing it (and it's been about 2 hours) but at least he's not licking his stitches - which is what he was doing. For those of you whose dog had to wear it, how long did they wear it for? Did they sleep with it on? I'm thinking that he will have to because I won't be awake to stop him from licking. He's rather calm with it on...almost in a depressed stance. I'm hoping he'll move out of that stage soon. It's so sad!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I had to have my 4 pound poodle wear it for another issue (the leg thing) for two weeks. he ate with it, slept with it and drank with it on. So dont let him tell you otherwise lol it can be done. just watch his neck occasionally to make sure its not rubbing to much! good luck it will pass quickly :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Jenny,

Sorry that Charlie is not taking to the e-collar. My dogs hate them too, I feel horrible when I see them running into the house and hit the collar on a door frame! Ouch!
There is a soft collar alternative... http://www.funstufffordogs.com/Qstore/Q ... 1136997566 (I'd check various stores/prices.)
And this looks good to me, it's called a Bite-Not Collar: http://www.vetamerica.com/index.asp?Pag ... Not+Collar
I don't know if either of these are effective, but they sure look more comfortable! Let us know if you decide on one...I'd like to hear how it works!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He does seem better with it today, but still lots of bumping into things. And, yes, I do feel so bad for him. At least he's not as freaked out today. Any idea how many days it takes for the stitches to dissolve?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts