Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Goldendoodle pup will be home with us next week and in researching neutering I see that the timetable varies greatly these days. Decades ago when our family dog went through surgery, I thought it was a fairly standard and agreed upon schedule. Now I see that some are doing surgery early as a young pup while others wait.

Our pup will be over 8 weeks when we have him with us and I realize that part of the neutering decision will have to be based on the veterinary care provider we choose for him . . . BUT . . . I'm still wondering when you all feel is the ideal time for neutering. (How's that for a run-on sentence!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'll wait with you for someone's more knowledgeable reply....

I am getting Coco fixed soon after she is out of heat!!

By the way, run-on sentences are well accepted around here, it seems the typos and spelling errors are worthy of prizes!! You'll be hard pressed to get one though....there are a few who seem to win that one regularly!! ( official contest, or not!! ) :wink:
yes, had to edit a typo!!! :oops:
8)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have no idea when the "best" time is but I am curious if there is one.
Bailey is going in on the 22nd to get snipped....he will be 7 months on the 31st. I just wanted to get it done before he developed any bad "male" habits such as marking his territory.....

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Our vet said that female Ebbe should be fixed at 5 mos.
I don't is the schedule is different for males, but in our case she said it would be less traumatic for her and would helpful in preventing disease in the future.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
WE recommend after 5mth before 6mths, if done too early it can cause incontinance and cancers later
I tell my clients the closer to 6mths the happier i am

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we were right around 5 mos. I wanted to avoid the "bad male behavior" with Dexter as well. There are so many opinions on the "right" time...it normally seems like most dogs here are around 6 mos when they get the big snip snip.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Our Bailey is a female. I don't know if their timeline is the same as males. Anyway, our vet had us wait until she was 6 months.

We had her spayed right at the 6 months though because we wanted to get it done before she had her first heat.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It seems they are doing it pretty early these days. My breeder had Murphy neutered when he was 7 weeks. I personally feel that is a bit young, but it looks like alot of breeders are doing this before they give you the puppy. On the plus side he was practically healed by the time he came with with me so it was easier on me :D But I think if left to me I'd have done around 6 months.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
my vets have recommended around 4-6 months, that is what I tell my puppy parents. the juvenile spay/nueter is still a highly debated topic. I will allow you if you desire to research that outside this thread. :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
We had our Goldendoodle Peanut spayed at 6mos
and max our labradoodle was neutered at almost 8mos

both did great! :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
neutering

Bailey (10 weeks) had a checkup yesterday. The vet said that 4-6 mos would be ok depending on the size of dog. We will decide at the next appt in one month. She did say that a lot of vets are neutering earlier (8 weeks) and she didn't like this idea as she thinks the anesthetic is too hard on their livers when they are so young.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie was an early neuter. He was neutered before we got him at 8 weeks. This is relatively new and not all vets know how or are willing to do it. I'm not sure what the advantages are other than that I don't have to deal with it.

Deb

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Tyke is being spayed on Nov. 6 - she turns 4mos. on Nov. 3. One breeder (not labradoodles) told me that she always liked for them to come into heat once before spaying, but my vet says there is no benefit to that, and a heck of a lot of mess and trouble for the owner! I've seen some other breeder tout the early spay and neuter (8weeks) but that seems like an awful lot to put a little puppy though!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Our vet basis the recommended time frame on the probably full-size of the pup. Since Cody will probably big on the larger size (all things being relative), we were told to wait until 8 months. For smaller dogs, 6 months is recommended. I don't know the reasoning behind this and since I don't do the vet trips, the question didn't get asked. :roll:
So next month Cody turns 8 months and a week after that he goes in.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
2kidsNadog said:
Our vet basis the recommended time frame on the probably full-size of the pup. Since Cody will probably big on the larger size (all things being relative), we were told to wait until 8 months. For smaller dogs, 6 months is recommended. I don't know the reasoning behind this and since I don't do the vet trips, the question didn't get asked. :roll:
So next month Cody turns 8 months and a week after that he goes in.
Denver was done at this age and my vet said because he is a large
breed puppy he needs to grow into himself before he is neutered.
She said that neutering him earlier may cause bones to grow larger and longer and could create hip, bone , leg problems later on.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
which came first: the egg or the chicken?

that's really the answer about when to neuter, it's a personal decision between you and soemtimes your vet.

Max got neutered at 8mos due to health issues and i say for him that was the lateset he should get neutered cause he was starting to mark.

I once had 3 cats in heat at once for 2 weeks :shock: and said i'd never have another animal go into heat again hahahha so peanut was fixed at 6mos

1 - 20 of 20 Posts