Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday I took Murphy to get neutered, he is feeling great and acts like nothing has happened. However yesterday when he happily rolled over to get his belly rubbed, I took the opportunity to check his incision site thats when I noticed two small lumps one on each side of his penis above his scrotum. Is that swelling that will go down or did they forget to take something out? I took a look again last night, but didn't see them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Jamie, those lumps are due to exitement :shock: and are normal for male dogs nuetered or not.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
This is... well... a very natural part of his anatomy. :wink:

When male dogs breed, they tie, the lumps you felt are the cause of the tie...at the right time during mating, the lumps expand and form a large bulb and the bulb makes it so the penis can't eaisly slip out. This is not removed when they are neutered, only the scrotum is removed.

This might be a bit embarrassing to ask, and to answer, but it is a good question and many owners of male dogs have the same concern...so thanks for asking!

I am glad that Murphy is well on his way to a full and easy recovery!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thanks to both of you for the answer, That is something that I have never heard of before in my life. I also never noticed it on any of our other dogs. Your right it is a bit embarassing, mostly because I had no idea what it was. But that's what your here for, thanks alot!! Now I can assure my wife they did what they were supposed to :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Jamie...I have shared the following story before, but I think I'll repeat it here ... so you can see that we all learn from these things...

When my Lexie was in heat (my first female to experience it)...I had read everything about it...I knew what to expect. Then one day, she rolled over for a belly rub and ...my goodness! She was HUGE (her private part) ... I mean HUGE....about the size of my fist! Well, I was CERTAIN that she had some sort of horrible infection. Of course, this was on a Sunday. Still, I rushed her to the emergency vet because I thought she would burst! LOL :oops:

The vet took a look and said, "Yep, she's in heat."

I wanted to die. I was so embarrassed...still the vet continued to explain that females are all different and that some get really big, as Lexie had done, ... "Makes a good target." she said...*sigh*

Well, it cost me over $100 for that lesson! Sooo, see? This forum has probably saved you a visit with the vet...and a few bucks!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Such clear explanations. Thanks.
Archie is beginning to ummm...express himself in a manly way...or as my daughter says, "Ugh...he's being a guy again."

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm so gald I read these posts. Toby is my first male dog and I'm sure I would have been making a few unnecessary trips to the vet! Toby is also beginning some male behavior. About a week and a half ago he went around tot he fromt of the couch and was sitting very quietly. I went over to see what he was doing and he looked away and I noticed... well as my sister would say "his lipstick was out!" My daughter almost died! :oops: That's a boy for you! :lol:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well thanks again you guys are a great source of information, I just had never seen those lumps, they actually looked just like they had forgotten something down there towards the bottom of his manhood.

·
Registered
215 Posts
LOL you guys are TOO FUNNY! After Duke was neutered, he was excited on day during a belly rub, and my boyfriend was convinced that the vet forgot to take everything out. That's always an interesting conversation topic!

Bridget, Summer and Duke

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
K9Summer said:
LOL you guys are TOO FUNNY! After Duke was neutered, he was excited on day during a belly rub, and my boyfriend was convinced that the vet forgot to take everything out. That's always an interesting conversation topic!

Bridget, Summer and Duke
Well I sure am glad I asked the question, a good laugh is good for everyone!! Thanks for making me feel better with the story about your boyfriend, it helps. Hey my wife laughed too. :oops: I must admit this forum is alot of fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts