Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never posted here before, but I've been reading the forum for about six months. It's been a long puppy journey for my husband and I, and I'm really at a breaking point. I've grown to love this forum and the friendly advice and support, and I guess I could use some now.

To start from the beginning, my husband and I decided to get our first puppy, a 12-week-old labradoodle named Trevor, from a rescue. We were told he'd been rescued from a puppy mill. After having him for a couple of months, he lost use of both his back legs. He had torn both ACLs. We took him to two vets, had him x-rayed, and eventually decided to put him down. He had terrible hip dysplasia, and since he had not fallen, run into anything, etc, we were told that he must have had a genetic prcondition to weak ligaments. The thousands of dollars worth of surgery just wouldn't have saved him.

I wanted to write then, but I was just too heartbroken. We don't have children, and Trevor was really our little guy--even in so little time.

After Trevor died, I was obsessed with finding another puppy. There was such a hole in our lives! This time I researched like crazy, read a lot of this forum and adopted a puppy form a very good breeder.

Wesley, our goldendoodle puppy, is truly a joy--he's six months old now and just the love of my life! We got him at 8 weeks, and since then he's just been the center of our lives and so healthy and growing.

Well, on New Years day he started to throw up and being a "paranoid mom" I ran him to the vet right away.

He has been diagnosed with Parvo and is very sick. This is despite 4 VACCINATIONS and being 6 months old!!!! We've thought of several places he might have contracted it (park, from a friend's puppy, from the clinic we take him to...). At this point, it doesn't matter. I just want him to get better. I feel like we've been through so much. I just visited him in the hospital (I won't even begin to get into what all these vet bills are totaling up to) and he looks so pathetic and sweet with his IV drip and funnel to prevent him from pulling it out.

Has anyone else been though this and came out okay? I can't even wrap my mind around the fact that I may lose this puppy too. I'm going crazy unable to think of anything else...

Sorry this has gotten so long-winded. Nervous energy! I really apreciate you reading and responding.

Kate (and Wesley)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
O Kate, my heart weeps for you. I'm so sorry about Trevor, how heartbreaking that must have been.

And now Wesley, prayers headed your way, I hope this treatment has him on the mend.
I've never dealt with Parvo so don't know what you are going thru, can only imagine

This is a wonderful place for support - I'm sure others will be along soon, maybe someone who has had a pup with parvo.

I know lots of prayers will be headed your way

please keep us posted

hugs
Mary & Annabelle

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Kate and Wesley...I am soooooooooo sorry to hear about your doodle having parvo

I did a search on some parvo discussions on this forum with doodle parents and breeders

http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... ight=parvo

Please give me an update when possible as i know how our doodles become our whole life.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the link. I've been reading like crazy! Unfortunately, so many stories seem to have sad endings.

We're in the process of cleaning and bleaching eveyrthing in the house. Wes has free reign, so every surface needs attention... It's maddening, but at least is keeping me busy.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Oh Kate! How heartbreaking! You've been through soooo much!!!
Wesley is going to be just fine...........you've been through enough.
Sending positive vibes and prayers your way.
I'm glad you came in to tell your story. You really need a place right now. Welcome and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
paws crossed and prayers for a happy ending and speedy recovery

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone. It helps to think of everyone out there thinking good thoughts for him!

Adam and I are saying that when he gets back, we going to get him a giant hamster ball. He'll be the "puppy in a bubble" :)

I'll update agian tomorrow, hoepfully there will be some good news...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So sorry to read about your puppy! I'm sending good wishes for his recovery. Please keep us posted.

Deb

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dear Kate,

Best wishes for you and Wesley. Prayers and positive vibes coming to you from Portland, Oregon.

I found an interesting article here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=467

The section under "Immunity and Vaccination" explains why some of the vaccinations don't "take". (You've probably already seen this, but others might find the info useful.

Please keep us posted, we're all hoping for good news.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Many prayers for a complete recovery for Wesley!!
I am so sorry to hear of all the difficult circumstances you have faced!
I am praying for you, too!

Have any other puppies from this breeder been infected? Does she/he know this has happened?

Hang in there.....I've asked for strength to see you through!
Keep us posted!
8)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know, we wondered the same thing. But the vet told us that he had been exposed to the virus no more than 14 days ago at most. So I really can't say it was the breeder. I haven't called them. I guess once we know how things turn out I will.

Its terrible how much second-guessing you do. We took him to the dog park last week, a trip weve taken regularly since he completed his shots. It's just so fun and we figured the socialization would be good for him. Now, of course, I wish we hadn't.

My suspicion, though, is a strange story I heard. ( I feel like a detective) A friend of the family came over with his parents new puppy last week. It was a labradoodle as well, and knowing how crazy we are about doodles, he wanted to introduce us. He said the puppy was a girl, and they were supposed to get a boy, but all of the rest of the litter had run away.

Run away!!?? In the middle of winter, from a breeder? Does this sound fishy to anyone else? We questioned how odd that sounded at the time, but I didn't think parvovirus until Wes got it. We'll never know for sure, I guess.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Here's wishing you and Wesley a speedy recovery! :) I think you should alert the breeder so other pups in the litter can be monitored and possibly save someone else the pain and suffering of discovering Parvo in their pup...best mtd

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
My heart goes out to you. We lost our first doodle at 6-7 months also.

Years ago I got a Biscon Frise from a breeder. He had been returned because he developed Parvo. I don't know what all the breeder went through to treat him, but he was fine afterwards.

Sending puppy prayers and hugs your way. (((((()))))))

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
OMG that is so horrible and scary! I didn't realize they could still get parvo after being vaccinated! Good luck and I hope to read good news!

G

·
Prayers for you and your precious puppy.
As you know, parvo has an incubation period of 1 to 2 weeks. Since Wesley is 6 months old now and you have had him for 3 months, this did not come from YOUR breeder. I definitely find it suspicious that all the puppies from that other breeder 'ran away'. Umm, as you said, puppies don't run away...And since your pup was in close contact with this pup, I think it is possible...The friends puppy may have just enough immunity left from his mom to not be showing symptoms, but it will show symptoms once the immunity wears off. Either way, you should alert the family to Wesley's infection so they can monitor their pup closely and let their vet know she was exposed. Ugh, it's so scary to watch our 'babies' when they are sick. Wesley being 6 months old is good because he can fight better than a younger puppy AND his chances of getting parvo again are very slim, he will have immunity against the strain he currently has. I'm sure you have done a ton of cleaning and that's good, but you don't have to obsess about it so much, unless you were to be bringing a new puppy into your home.
Welcome to the forum and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Linda,

Thank you! Your post really put my mind at ease....I guess I still am confused as to the window of opportunity the parvo virus has....as Mom's immunities wear off....and the vaccine kicks in....and after 4 vaccinations, it is amazing to me that Wesley got it at all! That part is still scarry to me.

Good to know he is probably now immune to that strain and that obsessive cleaning isn't really necessary. I would stil clean, in case another puppy came over? Yes? Not sure I'd want to do that again anytime soon, anyway!

I am so sorry about Wesley's situation, but I am learning tons with all the responses. Thanks!

G

·
Another tidbit:

If a puppy recovers from CPV-2 infection, it is immune to reinfection for probably at least twenty months and possibly for life. In addition, after recovery(The virus will shed actually for one to two weeks after onset of symptoms), the virus is not shed in the feces.

And it is rare for a puppy OLDER than 6 months to contract parvo. Looks like poor Wesley just missed his safe window.

Please keep us posted and again let the new puppy owners know...parvo infection mimics antifreeze poisoning and the treatment is different, so knowing the puppy was exposed could hasten lifesaving treatment.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts