Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was feeding Angel (11 mos.) ProPlan Large Breed Puppy food and she liked the taste and her poos were normal and no gas and no itching. BUT I've read so many posts of dogs eating Canidae and the rating score was so high that I decided to switch to all life stages. WELL...she has soft stools and gas and I've noticed more itching. It surprises me because it's such a good food. Has anyone scored the Pro Plan Large Breed? I'm just really confused about what to feed her. I was thinking about trying the Canidae Chicken and rice since chicken was the main source of protien in her old food (vs. the chicken, turkey, lamb and fish protiens of the All Life Stages). Any thoughts? I'm really confused...I want her to have a good quality food without the gas and loose stools! :(

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I don't know about ProPlan but Tanner didn't do well on the Canidae...soft stools. We switched him to Merrick Wilderness (which I scored and it was almost as high as Canidae). He likes it and he has had firmer, fewer stools on it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky started out on Iams Smart Puppy Large Breed, but I switched him to Iams Large Breed (now called Iams ProActive Health Large Breed) about a month or so ago. (He's now a little over 14 months old.) He loves the food, never has had any poop problems with it, doesn't itch, and he seems to be thriving. His coat is shiny and, on Oct. 30, he weighed 88 pounds. He hasn't been weighed since then.

Although many people here feed their doodles Canidae, I don't see any reason for me to switch. Iams is readily available in pet and grocery stores as well as Walmart and Target. I don't know where to get Canidae and it probably costs more than I pay for Iams, especially when I frequently have Iams coupons.

If Angel was thriving on ProPlan, I'd go right back to it! Apparently Canidae isn't for all dogs!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
my opinion is feed what AGREES with your dog
For us, Max had "poodle tummy" and we went thru 6 foods and luckily Canidae worked for us

whereas i know others like yourself that it doesn't work

If a dog has bad gas, mushy stools then there is something they aren't digesting and it isn't the food for you.

also for us, I had to study the ingredients in dog foods as we were trying to see what Max's possibly allergy or problem was a while back
for Max.

I had tried Innova, Evo, Blue buffalo, Iams, Purina sensitive tummy, Nutro and
OH the Canidae lamb ...that doesn't work either nor the canned foods
go figure ! hahhahaaa

JUST remember to Slowly introduce a new food as if you go too quickly it will do same as what you described

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are the greatest! I know that i will always find answers or at least feel better when I post here!

I may go back to Pro Plan b/c it did work for her...although I don't like that it has more fillers (corn products than other brands). She doesn't seem to have been bothered by the corn though.

The other brand that I may want to try is Blue Buffalo Large Breed. I like the idea of a food specifically for Large breed...plus it's holistic...no corn, wheat or soy fillers. Anyone like Blue Buffalo Large Breed? It seems more pricey than other brands though, too.

Sandy...I hear you too about food being available. Blue Buffalo is more available here as well as our old Pro Plan.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
nicole , remember you can always stay with your present food and look at the ingredients. Meaning you can always supplement with pineapple, pumpkin, sweet potatoe, even Omega 3 fish oil and veggies , leftover chicken, beef and so on

I know i give our doodles little tidbit supplemental food 4 times a week.

i am a true believer in "it it ain't broke, don't fix it"

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I hesitate to suggest such a radical diet as a raw diet, which works wonders for some dogs so I won't :shock: I guess my initial response is if it ain't broke...mtd

·
Registered
462 Posts
The other thing you want to keep in mind is that if there is such a difference between the two foods, then she could just be reacting to the difference in quality. Napa had that when we had to give him caned food. His food maker makes canned food, but no one around me sold it.... So, I had to either go up a quality of food, or down, which gave Napa the runs....

Good luck finding food!

·
Registered
18 Posts
We use Proplan Turkey and Barley for Licorice. She had a gas problem when we had her on the Lamb and Rice formula. When we switched her, she no longer had the gas problem. I use to feed my collie Proplan Trukey and Barley because she had an allergy to regular dog foods. Licorice seems to suffer from poodle tummy. We have to be careful what she eats.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My boy had terrible stomach issues before I got him and came to me on the special I/D food (prescription only). I was lucky that when I did switch him to California Natural he did good on it.

But I agree with the others that the right food for your pup is the one that best agrees with their tummy.

I tried Canidae in my Greyhound and it was too rich for her. Went back to Diamond Lamb and Rice and she went back to normal. Yes it was a cheaper food but it worked for her so I stuck with it.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
As the old saying goes..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I know someone who has a majestic looking yellow lab that's nearly 8 yrs old. The dog acts like a puppy yet and has never been sick, has a great coat, etc. He's just awesome all around. He's eaten the same cheap supermarket dog food since he was 8 weeks old and even his vet has said don't change a thing! Scores don't mean squat if the food doesn't keep the dog fit and healthy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies! I called Canidae and they said to give her a couple more weeks for her body to adjust. I was told to cut back a little bit on the amount at each feeding for a while to help her adjust. The rep also said that some foods actually put something into their food to make stools harder! Well, it has been 3 weeks now and her poos are back to normal and no more stinky gas...yeah! I'm glad that I called Canidae because they are sendindg me coupons. She will eat less of the Canidae than her old food which makes it a great buy for a top end food. I will also get my 13th bag free at my local pet store.

Problem solved!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
just to let you know....you can do a search on Canidae site to find out where they sell in your area
and the price can vary from $30 to $40+ for a 40lb bag

i pay $30 and yes keep the upc codes to get a free one soon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts