Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to bathe & doodle & actually get them clean?
I can put Wrigley in the shower & hose him off w/the showerhead attachment, or I can stick him in the bathtub too. Should the tub be filled w/water before sticking the dog in, or is that a waste since if they're tall it would be only getting their legs wet? It's been hard to get Wrigley wet enough all over before lathering him up. Any tips would be very helpful.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I use the tub. But I don't fill it. I don't have a attachment. So I use a big Cup. It takes some time but it works. I get them all wet. Then I get in the tub with the dog and get them all lathered up and then rise off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i use a detachable showerhead in the shower too, and I have the same problem feeling like she isn't getting "lathered up" enough - especially her belly. If you come up with anything, let me know. I'm in the same boat you are!

G

·
I put Maya in the tub and use the detachable shower head thing. I don't fill the tub. It takes me a good 10 min to get her wet enough. I just lather a part at a time and then add more shampoo lather another part and keep going. I am pretty sure Maya isn't crystal clean but she is just going to go roll in dirt as soon as she can so I don't really worry to much about it. She was cleaner than when she went in the tub and that's all I care about!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
We bathe Puddles the same way, in the tub with a large cup. It does take awhile and some days it's a quick one because he's a squirmer. Usually when he's sopping wet, for whatever reason, it triggers the zoomies. So I don't get too concerned if he's not spotless clean because I know he'll be racing around the yard like a loon!

I noticed that Petco here offers a "do it yourself" time in their facility to wash dogs and I know that this concept is spreading. My neighbor will only take her dog to a "do it yourself" dog wash in Boise and swears by it. We haven't tried it yet, but it may be something to consider because the bathtub can be a pain. :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I either put them in the tub and use the Hand Held sprayer but while wetting them down i close the drain so i can also use a small pot to use the clean water to wet them down while getting a good lather going w/the shampoo

AND I shut off the sprayer while giving them a good scrubbing and turn back on when ready to rinse.

HOWEVER I find it easier now to wash them with hand held sprayer in our shower , easier on my back and not as much room for them to move around. :wink:

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you live near a pet store with self-serve baths, give that a try. I think it's totally worth the $10 - $15 to get Davy really clean in a safe environment (no slipping on the tub / tile for either of us). And best of all -- I don't have to clean the bathroom later!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I bathe Cinnamon either with a hose outside or in the shower with the hand held thing. I got that just for her, and I have no trouble getting her wet enough. She's a dream bathing her, she just stands there and takes it.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Cinsmom said:
I bathe Cinnamon either with a hose outside or in the shower with the hand held thing. I got that just for her, and I have no trouble getting her wet enough. She's a dream bathing her, she just stands there and takes it.
I bathe Denver with the hand held as well and he too just stands
there....................his coat is very easy to wet and soap up.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Miko and Rumor are a breeze to bath, either with the hand held shower attachment, or the dreaded hose. Jonah dries so quick, it's hard to get him wet enough to lather! I do him in stages.... :wink:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use the handheld shower head in the bathtub too. One thing that I have found (and I know there are some who will not agree!) is that Callie does better with a good baby/toddler 2-in-1 (I am using L'Oreal Kids Kangaroo Mangoroo right now, and would not use an 'adult' shampoo, 2-in-1 or otherwise) than she does with 'dog' shampoos. Her coat is shinier, less itchy, and I like the smell better, too (they are also about a third the price!). We live on the ocean, so the salt water and sea slimies need to be shampooed out fairly regularly!

Shampooing/lathering seems to go more easily if you dilute the shampoo in a decent amount of warm water first - I use a couple of ounces of shampoo in about a quart of water. Callie is 55 lbs, and seems to need about 2 ounces of shampoo per bath.

Soak 'er down (it takes longer than you'd think), start at the head, and work your way back. Then rinse, rinse, rinse - and when you think you've got every speck of soap out, RINSE AGAIN! A friend of mine is a dog groomer, and that is the best advice she has given me. FYI she also uses plain old Johnson's Baby Shampoo in her shop!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Baby Shampoo....i may have to try that when cacao's hair grows back in.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Calliedoodle said:
Shampooing/lathering seems to go more easily if you dilute the shampoo in a decent amount of warm water first
So true! They recommended this on a groomers forum once. They said you can dilute the shampoo in a bucket of warm water, then apply the mixture onto your DRY dog with a big sponge. Having the dog be dry helps because then you can see where you got shampoo and where you missed. (If the dog's already wet, its easier to miss spots.) I tried it with Boo and it worked really well! :D

The other thing that works really well for me is putting peanut butter on the shower wall! :lol: Seriously! :lol: I spread 2 tablespoons of peanut butter on the wall (level to Boo's nose or just above it) and he licks it off while I start bathing him! It usually keeps him occupied for a third of the bath time. :D (Just make sure you clean the wall thoroughly beforehand. :wink: )

·
Registered
286 Posts
my Boo said:
The other thing that works really well for me is putting peanut butter on the shower wall! :lol: Seriously! :lol: I spread 2 tablespoons of peanut butter on the wall (level to Boo's nose or just above it) and he licks it off while I start bathing him! It usually keeps him occupied for a third of the bath time. :D (Just make sure you clean the wall thoroughly beforehand. :wink: )
omg that is genius - i will have to try that at Riley's next bath!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I just put them in the shower and use the hand held shower head.... takes a while to get them soaked, but I have read that the big lather is not what you are really looking for, the suds don't help clean, actually traps the dirt and can lead to more matts... but a sponge/wash cloth soaked in diluted shampoo all over the body, then rinse works well for us!!!

We walk the lake very often and end up with dirty sandy doodles all time... works wonders!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wow! I LOVE the peanut butter idea!!! I'll have to try that with Ari.

Ari is quite difficult to bathe. He LOVES water, but he hates when it's being sprayed or poured on him with the shower attachment or large cup.

Typically I have to get into a tank top and shorts and sit on the edge of the tub so he doesn't try to avoid the hose. He tends to head for the back of the tub where the attachment won't reach...lol. He's a smart boy!

Bathing Ari takes what seems like forever because the water just rolls right off of him. I have to apply soap one section at a time just to clean him up! (And like the rest of the doods here...) he has to run outside and roll in the dirt! Gahh!!! LOL.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we also put them in the tub and use a handheld attachment. Before we got that attachment it was so hard to give baths (we had to pour water on them with a cup). Dex loves drinking from the attachment :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Related Bath/Shower Questions

When are you supposed to give puppies their first bath or shower and how often should this be done? I heard some dogs have skin problems if done too often. Can it be done with just water in between?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Cinsmom said:
I also use baby shampoo. It rinses out much better than dog shampoo and it doesn't cause the itchies!
Hmmm... maybe that will help get rid of Sampson last few little bouts of the itchies!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts