Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend we started our shopping for 'must haves' for our new pup. :D We got a crate (got the one for a 90 lb dog, but it can be adjusted in size as our pup grows) and food & water bowls. But when we got to the collar and leash section we got a bit overwhelmed by not only the selection, but the sizes. I realize we will probably go through a few collar sizes in our dogs lifetime, but do we start with Medium or Small?

I know the 10 week old pups our breeder had when we went to check out the new pups were 15 pounders so I'm assuming our pup at 8 weeks of age will be around 12 pounds or so. Any idea what size collar that translates to?

Also any seatbelt harness preferences out there?

TIA

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Our pup that I'm picking up today weighs 9lbs - I bought a small collar for now and a medium for later.

HTH

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we needed a small for Dexter when we first brought him home. He wasn't in the small for very long, but the medium was just too big...and he was a fairly large puppy.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
dont think there is a hurry

the pup cannot be put down anywhere until it has gotten all its shots ,12weeks old normally
so you have time to get a collar, i suggest a martingale collar by priemere
it is a very secure collar and a good training aide
in fact all mypups go home with one i like them so much
also dont leave the collar on your pup ,, it can get hung in floor or cage and choke them
only use when taking for a walk,, after he has had all his vaccines

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nancy,

If the dog can't be put down anywhere until 12 weeks, do we have to hold him when we stop for potty breaks on the way home? That seems a might inconvienent and uncomfortable for both of us. I've never read that in all the reading my husband and I have been doing. Our breeder is a 3 hour drive from our house. From what I've read, puppies aren't able to hold it this long. I definitely don't want the pup to pee in the car (or worse).

Suggestions?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we took dex out on a leash in our backyard to go pee when he was small because we didn't have a fence yet so we needed the small collar. I know rest stops are a very bad spot to allow a young puppy to go pee on the way home (there are other dogs that go there that could have a disease). We went to a spot at a rest stop very far from the main building (so it would be far from where most people would take their dogs and let him go there). I know it's not 100% safe, but we had to let him go (our drive home was 3 hrs). We did not let him stay on the ground for long.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
you dont

you let him potty int he trunk of the car on a table cloth and newpapers
being exposed to ONE parvo germ is deadly you have no idea what transit dogs have been and where

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
plus

only 3 hrs you let the pup potty b4 you leave the breeder
and he will likly sleep the entire way home take towels,newspapers,papertowels
im sure you can be uncomfortable for that short a period to keep your new pup healthy and not take any chances

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm pretty sure what Nancy is referring to is the possibility of your puppy being exposed to nasty viruses that are lurking in the grass/ground where you would likely take your puppy to use the potty on your way home. Until he's gotten all of his immunizations, It IS POSSIBLE for him to contract an illness by using the bathroom in the same place a sick dog has been. So, what my breeder recommended was to carry newspapers with me, and let the puppy go on those instead of the ground. Definitely inconvenient, but a lot safer! :wink:
Jenny

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, that leads to more questions. I understand the severity of parvo and other nasty diseases out there.
Carrying newspapers w/ us to use when we stop (sorry, but we have to stop- the boy child can't make it that far most trips) is fine.

Now, about grass and putting the pup down. Our yard is being fenced today. Should we not take the pup out to potty in our own yard until 12 weeks of age? I know we have rabbits living under our deck (we're hoping they will be convinced to move when the dog shows up lol). I have no idea what dogs or other creatures may have made their way through our yard in the past. The last snow just melted yesterday so don't know if that makes a difference. Would the possible diseases have been killed by the ton of snow we got this winter?

I'm all for being cautious and doing everything possible to keep the pup healthy. Just wondering if we need to make other potty plans for the 4 weeks after we get our pup. We were thinking we'd just take the pup out in our yard, but maybe that's not the best route. I'm completely new to this pup thing and my husband was a young kid when his dog was a pup.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
No worries you yard should be fine unless you have a problem with stray dogs the breeders home or your home if you feel safe
other animals shouldnt carry parvo,, other disease they do but you should be ok,,just be aware
also carry your pup in the vets office, see them disinfect the table and the scales b4 placing your pup anywhere, makes sure they wash there hands and dont allow them to carry the pup around
I know i sound paranoic but >>>>> No one benifits from the pup getting sick not you,,not the pup,,only the vet if you get my meaning

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! No stray dogs in the 'hood that I'm aware of - just stray kids. :) Thanks for the vet tip. I will relay it to DH because chances are those trips will happen when I'm at work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts