Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a breeder and doubt I have the fortitude to ever be, but I do have a very strong dream of being in the "dog" business. Do any of you board, have day care center, or offer training? I have never been in business for myself and just need some advice. My dream is to offer top-notch facilities for day-care and an agility course for owner-pet participation and training. I would only board pets that I knew well from the other activities. Any thoughts? There is nothing like this at all within 45 miles of my home. I would get lots of recommendations from my vet, my groomer, and my food supplier/boarder.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Lee Beth, I think that is a fabulous idea! You might even check into funding to help you get started.
Like any business, you will need to get insurance, licenses, contracts that limit your liability, etc. But you probably already know that.
I suggest that you start with a business plan, that will help you to focus on the tedious details and also help you get funding if you need to.
There can be a huge liability issue when you have dogs on your premises, even if you don't own them...so check with your local insurance brokers, and look at the laws, it would be a good idea to get an attorney to advise you (many will charge a minimal amount for the first hour) then you can get an idea about the business side of it all.
I would also check for associations...membership in associations related to your line of business are really helpful, you can learn so much from networking with others in the business. Plus, your membership in such an organization will help you gain more credibility.
I agree that this is a very worthwhile business...and I wish you great success!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lee Beth:
I will repost this site I posted long time ago on choosing a good day care also a example of a screening form and a link to the North American dog day care association
http://www.arkofliberty.com/621686.html
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/nadda/

I think doggie day care works well in communities where there is high incidence of apartment dwellers...You might also try working out a deal with local big coorporation ...Some of our big companies offer child care,fitness center and drycleaning , massage discounts....why not doggie daycare ... ?Their is also an big need for extended and evening hours...Many medical people work 12 hour shifts but only 3 days a week....Many of our computer companies require mandatory overtime and it can be difficult to pick your child or dog up by 6.
One of the doggie daycare in Kansas city offers live cam feed...
I used day care with one dog and loved it ...with two dogs I found it much more of a hassel getting two large doddles to day care . in addition to getting myself ready for work...
Good luck in whatever venture you choose....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Jacque and Jackie, No. I know nothing. I have frequented all things "dog" for many years. I have five acres and an existing structure. But am a long way from dog-safe or ready. I will look at the link you provided, Jackie and will try to begin the other steps as well. The property that I could use is at my home but "apart" from our house so I was thinking this might be a fun "retirement" job for me. We are used to hard work as we raise TN Walking Horses. I'm just in the thinking stages, but don't want to do it if I can't do it right. Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back for more.

·
Registered
197 Posts
sounds like a great idea to me. Possibly b/c i often dream of the same thing but i am far far away from doing anything about it. Just to add ... there is a wonderful dog event taking place now called Rally O. I think it is a wonderful dog sport.
Terri Lynn

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Lee Beth, I think this is wonderful and that you should follow up on your dream. Good luck and I wish you all the best in whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Several places that I know of have the property and facility and then rent some of those areas out (boarding, grooming, agility,basic obedience) I know you would still have responsibility for the place but they also would be responsibily and the agility equipment can be very expensive and the trainer really needs to know how to train for it, so you could rent this part out still help oversee it make money and like would be good. Plus it would be a good place to hold a doodle romp and other dog related events.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. I think my husband is starting to realize that I am serious. I have supported his "horse thing" and would really like his help with this. Wish me luck. I'll be here to pick your brains. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.