Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the site and was looking for some advice.

I rescued my doodle last nov. from the shelter here in Frederick. And I got really lucky, she is a great girl. About 5-6 they say, big too, probably 80-90lbs of lap dog. After her first vet visit I found out she already had limes disease. It slows her down a little. But one thing I was warmed about is how thirsty it can make her. Since I got her, she'll drink whatever you put down until it's gone. A half bowl or a whole bowl, it doesn’t matter. So I really monitor how much water I do give her, I don't want to make her sick. She has made herself sick before drinking to much to fast. So I really monitor it. Now that the weather is starting to break and it is getting a little warmer I am trying to figure out how much water is enough. When I got her, she was a mess, long matted hair. So I had her shaved, SHAVED she was. I took her to the groomer right from the shelter and I didn't even know that was my dog when they brought her back out to me. She went from brown and cute to black and not so cute. Now it’s been about 6 months and she is a fur ball. Back to being cute and I can tell she is more comfortable with the longer hair. Now with longer hair and warmer weather she is becoming a heavy panter. Early morning and late at night, she just pants, heavy.

This is my first time owning a larger dog, and I guess I am just trying to figure out how normal it is for a doodle, that’s not to active to be such a heavy panter at odd times of the day. I don't want to shave her back down for the summer. From what I've read its not always best to shave long haired dogs in the summer.

Sorry for the long post. If I had some pictures Id put them there too. From when we got her, and shaved to now. Such a difference. It really is rewarding to rescue a dog from a shelter and I got so lucky with her.

Her name is Sasha by the way

Thanks everyone, or anyone that read this whole thing!
Drew

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey, welcome Drew!
I have an old friend in Middletown, MD by the way... :wink:

umm......I think how long you keep Sasha's coat is really up to the two of you: you might want it clipped sorta short for your hot summers. 1" long is a short cut....2" is sort of manageable, in general. How does that sound? do-able?

I have a water cooler-style watering system for our 4 dogs in the house, which wouldn't work for you, probably, with Sasha's thirst being constant, so I am afraid I can't help with the drinking question. Have you asked your vet? Just a thought. I'm sure your vet could tell you the signs, or show you the signs of dehydration, if Sasha wasn't getting enough water.

Welcome, and post any quesitons anytime. Also: Do a search! There's a ton of common questions already answered.....and watch out for Gene and Anne Marie! :wink: they're dangerous! :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi Drew and Welcome
My advice would be to consult your vet like Maureen says and then
go from there. Keep us posted and looking forward to pictures. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Welcome Drew and Sasha!
It is not uncommon for Labradoodles to get too hot and to pant often. My dogs do this a lot...and they drink a lot of water. They like to sleep outside on the porch or in the garage where they can lie down on cool cement.
Since water is essential, especially in Drew's case, you might want to hook up one of those faucet connectors that allow the pet to lick at it for water. There is no huge rush of water, but it is always available.
Please do check with your vet. In the meantime, here is a good article on water for dogs:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2314
Many people have their doods clipped shorter for summer and as Maureen said, 1-2 inch cuts work well.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Welcome Drew and Sasha....nice to have you aboard. These people are a wealth of information and support! They have helped me plenty through many difficult times. If we can't find help for you here, there's none to be found. I too have a rescue doodle named Miko and she is the sweetest little thing. Good luck with Sasha!

PS: Maureen.....you hurt me! :cry: :cry: :lol:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Drew and welcome! :p Unfortunately I do not have much more to offer in terms of advice, but wanted to welcome you to this forum. It's a GREAT group of people and we all will help in any way we can. I'd definitely check with your vet and also just make sure she has some place to get out of the hot direct sun. I've had my dog "trimmed" which has helped on those really hot days. It's not a full on shave, but the groomers just trim it down a bit to help them out. Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi and welcome! I can't help you with the water thing. My baby doodle drinks a lot and she'll lie on the floor panting for no good reason at different time of the day.

Lymes though... Has Sasha's Lymes been treated? What state do you live in? Do they know enough about Lymes to help Sasha?

Where I live has a greater concentration of Lymes in deer ticks (100%) then Lymes CT. One of our million year old Yorkies got Lymes last year and it paralysed her and scared me to death! After treatment she's much better. Mean now but not slowed down.

Lymes can be treated at any stage of it's progression (I'm also an RN in this Lyme infested community and I treat people with it).

LMK if you want me to talk to our local MSPCA and send info about the treatment to you.

:)
Steph.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, here are some pictures

Thanks for the replies. I am glad to here that she is pretty normal.

As for the lymes, she has been treated. I am unsure if the last owners did or not. She will go back later this month for the follow up.

Here are some pictures from when I picked her up, to the shaving, and currently the big ball of fluf.

The day I picked her up.....the picture doesnt do enough for the shape her coat was in...the only thing to do was shave her.

A few days later.....

And today in the park....

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI DREW and welcome. i am so happy you got her and also treated. Seems like you are taking great care of Sasha and really love her alot!
Sasha is gorgeous both as a brownish and black doodle. WOW she is big!! and i am soo happy you posted pics...thanks!!! :D :D

congrats on getting Sasha and having a great bundle of joy to love!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Wow Drew! Sasha is a beauty! Amazing how different and darker she was after she was shaved! Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your beautiful girl! She is one lucky Doodle to have you as a Dad to care for her!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts