Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am going to finally give in and get clippers for my standard poodle. I had good quality clippers for my little poodles in the past that worked fine, but they do not go through the standards fur at all so I have been taking her to the groomer :) Financially this has to stop! The groomers here in Michigan are outrageous. So I guess its time for me to pony up and get clippers and a good detangler comb. But with the baby due in a few weeks I am kinda broke :)

So least expensive BEST clippers and or comb and where to buy?

THANKS!

Mic

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I bought mine through Pet Edge it just depends what you buy as far as price. The blades can be resharpen so that helps with cost. Most local Pet stores have someone they can send them out to and sharpen for you at little cost. I use a 4 blade on my poodles body and a 10 on their muzzles and feet.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Linda has given you good advice and I know that she is really good at grooming her dogs. But since she didn't say, specifically, what type of clipper is good for Poodles, I am going to tell you my experience...still don't have the right clippers. I know that they are very expensive...but I can say, from experience, get the most powerful clippers with the sharpest blades you can afford. I have purchased 3 sets of clippers (none of them less than $100) and none have made it through Chase's coat at all.
The last set I bought, I asked the guy at the farm store, he said that they were used by all of the professional groomers and that they would cut through anything (I was actually thinking of getting sheep shears!) these were "horse" clippers by Andis....cost almost $300...problem is that they use a T blade, which is great for complete shavedowns, but I want to use a comb and keep the coat about an inch or longer. This blade does not accommodate combs.
So far, I'm still searching...soooo, my point? Be sure you can return them if they don't do what they say they will do! You might try to lurk on groomer forums or Poodle forums to see if they have ideas too.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
honestly I like to use scissors! We tend to neglect coats here....I'm not proud of it, but, well, it happens. Then we hesitate to clip from October on, because of winter, so if coats get away from me I use scissors! Then, using basic cheapo clippers to "shave" faces and feet work fine. I think that hearing of Jac's experience and others on expensive clippers has me spooked! I've bought several sets of the WAHL brand at Wal-Mart, and for short clips they actually are fine as long as the blades are kept lubed thru the grooming process. The motors get too hot if they aren't oiled throughout.

What is the benefit of ceramic blades?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
When I had my cocker spaniel, I groomed him and tried various clippers, got frustrated, gave up and ended up shaving him. He enjoyed it much more, and so did I!
I think I'll keep taking Miko to the groomers for her cuts. Her hair is SO thick, and with the way she picks up EVERYTHING like a swiffer duster, I'd need sheep shears! :shock:

Is there a chance to sneak peeks at what the pros use or are those way out there price wise?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know my mom can get through mollys coat with the oster a5's and mackenz is short now so i guess for 130 I will give them a try. I think the key is detangling, but then again if she has sheep fur I wll have to get those sheep shears jac is thinking about :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You know, Micky, that is exactly my problem with Chase. His coat, I have discovered, is corded. No amount of brushing makes it easy to get a clipper through! I can never brush him through...and when I brush him, it looks excatly the same as when I don't!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gracielou said:
I bought mine through Pet Edge it just depends what you buy as far as price. The blades can be resharpen so that helps with cost. Most local Pet stores have someone they can send them out to and sharpen for you at little cost. I use a 4 blade on my poodles body and a 10 on their muzzles and feet.
ok I ordered them (through goodmans appliance) got the turbo oster a5 single speed with a 10 and grabbed a 4 also. 154 dollars yeek.
now lets hope I have the energy to use them when they arrive in a few days! I am quite the nappy waddling pregnant girl right now!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oooh I wish I did live closer, I bet you have a fancy table and everything!!

oh well, I will do my best here in a week or so! as long as the blade goes through the body we will be good. Mackenz isnt as near as wooly as jacs chase so hopefully (crossing finger!)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
"Fancy Table" ....hahahahahahahaha!
Linda might have a grooming table....we use an old white plastic patio table! The leash holding the dog goes thru the center hole and is anchored at the leg! :roll:
we're so pathetic! I tell myself we've saved enough on grooming to pay for a real grooming table but I think I'm looking for that "round tuit" to get around to ordering one!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont even have a white plastic table LOL
I know I tether the leash to the porch railing to brush them, but bending over right now isnt really feasible!
I imagine a few towels on the dining room table and my 6 year old holding the leash will work just great!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Okay so I do have a nice table but only because I have a bad neck and back so it bothers me to groom. A vidoe I don't think so I'm not any better than you guys trust me and sissors I use them also until I got bold enough to try the clippers. :shock:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dont feel bad my mom has the nice table too cause of of her back and it does work wonderfully but silly me went and moved 600 miles away :(

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, I bought a fancy table, has a foot pump to raise it up...has an arm and "hangman's" cord to keep 'em in place...and the only dog not afraid to jump up on it is Nitos and then the table wobbles (I can't get that darned thing tightened enough not to wobble!) and Nitos, such a sweetheart, thinks it is great fun...and he gets all happy and the other dogs are swimming around my feet, jumping up to the table to see what is going on (but just front feet, you see) and Nitos, enjoing his heightened position over the others, sort of prances and turns circles and I am grabbing his feet so he doesn't fall off...finally, he lies down! So, he gets one side for a few minutes, then he decides to jump down and come back later.
It's hell, I tell ya! Hell!!!!
Oh, and those darned clippers that I paid a gazillion dollars for can't be used because the comb fittings don't clip on it (stupid me, bought a t-blade). I am determined...but very challenged!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts