Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Gunner is in the process of outgrowing his medium size travel crate. I have a new wire crate (large) with the divider which I haven't opened yet. I am just wondering if I should get him the x-large one or if I should get him a large travel crate. I like the idea of the wire crate being more open, but I am wondering if that one is big enough and for how long!?! What does everyone else prefer? This is my first experience with crates, so any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
39 Posts
diclaimer: i'm a new puppy owner and have only had my puppy a week. take my advice with a grain of salt :)

we have a large wire cage for maggie. originally we were going to keep her in her travel crate until she outgrew it, but we found that she whined and cried in it. we put her in her wire crate (with the divider) and she is so much happier - i think because she can see everyone and be a part of the action in the house (without actually being in the action).

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a 42" wire crate with the divider which is working out very well so far, but when do you consider your puppy ready to take up the entire crate? Will he regress if I give him too much space? Sawyer has been doing so well, perfect really, with crate training and signaling to go potty and at 17 weeks he is so leggy that I would love for him to be able to stretch out like a little prince in his crate. But I do not want to set him up for failure. Does anyone have advice on the matter?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sadie (3 months old now) has been given the full space in her crate and has not soiled it since she was very young. The crate is not huge, but she has space to move around in it. For the past couple of weeks, we have put her in our bedroom at night and left the door to the crate open. Sometimes she sleeps in the crate, sometimes she sleeps under our bed, and sometimes in her doggie bed which we place in our room. She has not had any accidents and only wants out when someone turns on the light - it's working out great and we are happy to give her the choice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Heres what we did...

Bandit was outgrowing his medium sized crate... Checked prices and such, and went to WalMart. Picked up an XL 42W x 28L x 31H, two doors and a divider. Set that up slightly more than half and he has plenty of room for now. We can continue to adjust it until his full growth sets in. Picked it up for <$70.

Thats my logic and solution to the issue. HTH.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi Amanda

Sadie is 17 pounds. The crate is 2 x 3 feet, and 2 feet high. She will outgrow it at some point - probably sooner rather than later the way she is growing!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sage is in a medium sized travel crate--the one she was shipped in at 9 weeks. I think she'll probably fit in it (comfortably) for another month or so. We are going to be getting a wire crate for her soon and were looking at the one that is 38' x 24' x 24'. We were thinking that she would be good in that one. What do you think? Apparently her full-grown weight will be about 50 lbs. Should we go for the bigger one? I don't really want some honkin' big thing in my kitchen, but I sure don't want to have to buy a third one somewhere down the line either.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we went with the x-large. I am so glad we got the bigger one. I agree...don't like looking at it, but I guess it is better than the alternative! I am hoping to find new place for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi: I am the mom of Ziggy - he is 14 weeks old and we have him in an XL crate - I had this crate for my Labrador (we got him at 9 mos.)
I was concerned that the crate was to big for Ziggy but he has been happy as a bug in a rug in it - without having any mistakes in there. :D It is in my living room and I have covered it with a dark sheet.....Ziggy just loves being in there when he is not running around the house playing with his 2 doggie brothers. Seeing as crates are a large $ investment and our doodle seem to be growing in leaps and bounds I would advise getting a larger crate than you might anticipate getting - better a little large than to small in a month.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Toby started in the medium travel crate. He loved it so I replaced it with the largest one I could find just like it. He is 6.5 months now and it is really too small. I wish I had gone with the XL wire.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LeeBeth, Did you get an X-Large travel Crate or Large? Gunner is much too big for his Medium travel crate. Today, we just put him in the back of the car he seemed fine, but he prefers a travel crate. I was planning on getting an x-large travel crate, but maybe I shouldn't bother? I wonder if an X-large travel crate will even fit in our midsize SUV?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts