Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kevin has been laid off since we've owned Dexter. After 7 mos. of being home, he's finally back to work. The problem is, they put him on midnights. I work 4p.m. to 10p.m. Kevin works from 10p.m. to 7a.m. So here's how our days are going. 7 a.m. I get up, get Dex out of his crate and go potty, wait for daddy to get home. Daddy spends an hour or so with Dex, then off to bed. If I close the bedroom door, Dex lays there and whines and scratches all day. If I leave it open, he terrorizes cats and is up and down off the bed like a wild man, wondering why daddy is sleeping. He even went as far as to hold his potty til he couldn't hold it anymore and then pee on my foot yesterday. He is really upset with this new routine. About 6 p.m., Kevin gets up and spends a few hours with him, then crates him and leaves for work. At 10 p.m., I come home and get him out of his crate and we walk. About midnight, I crate him and go to bed. I can't take him for midday walks since it is so hot and I have a heart condition, I can't take the heat. I sometimes worry that it wasn't fair to bring such a large active dog into a tiny little place with no yard to run. But he's here and he's ours and we wouldn't do it any differently.

So how can I help him adjust to his new routine? He doesn't have playmates he can visit, or anywhere air conditioned to romp other than here. He's about to go out of his little doodle mind and I'm not far behind him!! HELP!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
:( I wonder if Dexter just needs a little time to get used to the new routine? Do you have a room or area where he can be put while your husband is sleeping? We keep our Dexter in the basement while we're at work...we shut (and lock) the basement door so he can't get anywhere else.

Besides that, do you have any dog parks near you? Especially with this heat - our Dexter is exhausted after 15 min of running there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately no dog parks at all. The only way to keep him clear of the bedroom would be to put a very tall gate that he couldn't leap over at this end of the hallway. That may be an option, if he doesn't adjust soon. I know they're flexible and they get used to things eventually. But I feel bad for him. He's really pretty po'd at the lot of us for upsetting his apple cart LOL.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
They are creatures of habit, aren't they?

He'll get used to it. It will take a couple of days for it to set in and then maybe another week for him to get used to it.

As far as exercise goes, ever try to just play fetch or is that not an option. I don't know if there is a yard or a fenced area close you can play. Try the schools or ask a friend or neighbor who has one. 10 minutes playing frisbee or ball will tire him out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I forget how old he is but if I remember he is young huh? My dogs are lazy and sleep at my feet a lot. He will adjust! I like the ball throwing in the house idea, my parents do it all the time with their doodle. (Unless you have wood floors then I wouldnt!) Have you told him no yet? Didnt see that mentioned!! I am the mouse trap queen, you can block the door with mouse traps or try a startle can (coke can with a few pennies in it) if the door is closed and he tries to whine or scratch. Also you could try him on a long lead in the house if he goes near the door to your room you could give him a correction. Just a few thoughts!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, he's just 8 mos. and full of energy. We do the ball fetch for an hour after daddy gets home to wear him down a bit. He recharges pretty quickly though. The apartment below us is vacant now and we're thinking of moving downstairs. Then he can romp to his heart's desire without making the neighbors mad. I just stuck my head in and took a peek and it's horribly filthy in there. Accckkk! I gotta check with the caretaker and see if he's going to paint or replace carpet before I commit.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Is there any possibility of taking Dexter to doggy day care for 3-4 hrs a day after Kevin goes to bed? That way he can expend his energy and socialize with the other dogs. You could pick him up before you go to work, and he hopefully would be tired and sleep before Kevin gets up...just a thought! :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am for a few days of doggie daycare for his socialization. That is important.
Other than that, he will adjust. Dogs are creatures of habit but they can learn to change habits...it just takes time.
Still, the most important thing is to keep his body and mind active for a reasonable amount of time. Doodles are very active and social animals, as you know, and doggie day care (or hiring a dog walker) is a good optaion.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Our dog walker is really good and it isn't too expensive. It all depends on how professional they are. Often you can get a kid to not only dog walk but to help on training...which is why it is hard to walk your dog...if pulling is a problem there are some pretty good solutions and a good dog walker could help...and maybe you can arrange to trade something of value with that person...??? It's worth a try to ask! :eek:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts