Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am usually not one to complain or rant, but I am literally at my wits end with Chloe. She is not a "bad" dog so to speak, she just has so much energy and I am honestly beginning to feel guilty for having this type of dog in my small apartment. Granted, I should have researched this breed before I purchase but she was a gift from a friend and all I could think about was "Yay, I am getting a puppy!".

I know that I sound like a bad mother when I say "should she go to a home where she has room to run?". What was supposed to bring joy to my life has mainly only brought stress and frustrations (on Chase's part as well). Chloe is the most loving and sweetest thing but the energy is boundless. I have even had to put away my coffee table because I was afraid that she would break the glass.

Sorry to run on and on guys, I just thought maybe someone would have some advice. I can't imagine parting with Chloe but I want to see her in a home where she will prosper. I really feel like a failure right now :(

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
What are you doing to help her burn off energy? Do you have the time to do more?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I walk her and take her out to play tennis ball every afternoon. Does the energy pass or will she be like this forever. I am so used to Chase who has been laid back from day one. I was going to send her to obedience school but honestly I can't afford that right now. I work all day but go home at lunch to let her out for the hour.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Autumn how old is Chloe now? cause from 6mos to 12mos old they can be a handfull going thru stages AND also their is the temperament to consider.

Max was a breeze compared to Peanut. WE love peanut but OMG she is into everything 24/7 ...Max knows our limits hahahaha and Beau is the cute quiet puppy as he's only 4mos old.

Try to work with Chloe's temperament if you can...it' isnt easy at times Autumn. you have to say something 4000 times during certain stages till they "get it" or "drop it" ahhahhahaaaaa

max is high energy but listens well. Peanut isn't high energy and porky but an air head ignoring us at times and needs 24/7 watching.

Have you tried obedience training at home....if i can find my book from my class Autumn and it will take a day or to to find, if you PM me your address i'll mail you a copy ok?
It really made a difference with Max ......i am just starting with peanut due to her immaturity.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She will be 6 months old on Friday. She does not listen to me and I know that part of it is my fault because I have not spent alot of time working with her. I have never had a dog that required obedience work so I am just not familiar with it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm sorry that you are frustrated with Chloe. Uma had a lot of energy until she was about 16 months old and has calmed down a little since. We would take her to the park once per week and let her run as fast and as hard as she could for an hour. Just that little amount of exercise would hold her until the next weekend.

I also agree that at-home obedience is a great idea. Read up, either online or buy a book, and really work with her. Every dog I've done obedience with loves it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It may be an age thing....Hershey settled down inside considerably after her 1yr birthday. Do you have somewhere close by you can play fetch off leash? I find 30 min of that in the am, and a good play/walk/fetch after work seems to keep her tired out. Sometimes a walk just doesnt do it, and a dog needs to sprint to get a good workout and feel tired. Are there any doggy neighbours that have a fenced in yard that you could arrange a wrestle date?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I'm sorry you are having a hard time, some puppies are more active, more energetic than others. It can be hard when you don't have a place for them to get out and run. Do you have a friend who has a fenced in yard you could let Chloe run every evening to get rid of pent up energy, walking doesnt always take care of that energy.

Where do you live?
Do you have any doggie day cares around you that she could go to even one day a week?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Autumn, wasn't Chloe going to training away from home for a while or do I have my doodles mixed up???

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was Chloe that was supposed to go away but my ex boyfriend (who is now my best friend and bought Chloe for me) backed out on helping me with the cost. I may still try to do this but I am about to move into a new place which will have a small backyard. It won't be enough room for her to run free but at least she will have a little space and freedom to use the bathroom off leash.

Maybe I am just a little frustrated with other things as well and Chloe has been adding to them. I just seems that I have had nothing but problems out of her with all of the skin rash, hair loss, and ear infections.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
(((((((((((((((((( Autumn )))))))))))))))))))))) sounds like you are having a rough time in general - hopefully when you move it will help, at least you can let her outside to potty without a leash and she can roam even if it's a small space, it should help some. Maybe the move to a new place will be the beginning of better days for you

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
All human emotions are easily read by our dogs. :roll:
They can feel our stress etc.
A new move maybe a welcome to a new beginning for
both of you. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Good luck and maybe back to the basics for training as
this breed really needs consistency. They are all so darn cute in the
meantime though...............

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the warm wishes and advice. I have just never had a dog with so much energy. I originally wanted a Yorkie and I think that would have been a better fit into my lifestyle but I am going to do my best with Chloe. I just want her to be happy because I do love her :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I also think I read that you are moving closer to your parents. That may also help. Having even a small yard will be an improvement. You have had a lot to handle and I hope this move will be good for you. You are not a bad mommy...just tired, me thinks. Please vent here anytime you need. I think we have all had those sit on the floor crying over our doodles' misdeeds.

How is the hair loss-skin rash doing? How is Chase doing?

With regard to the training, just 5 minutes a couple of times a day, really makes a difference. When Tanner would get too much for me too handle, I would get a hand full of Zukes treats and run through his training. This seemed to calm him down. I also find that brushing him gently will calm him. Put on some soothing music.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, the move closer to my parents has fell through for the time being (I couldn't get financed for a house and need to keep my job here for a little longer) but I definitely think that getting out of my tiny apartment into a little bigger place will be good for us all.

Chloe still has the rash but she was shaved down in order to hopefully have all of her hair come back in at the same length. I am not really fond of the poodle cut but she looks much better than before (when she had the "mangy" look). Chase had a vet visit this morning because he has previously had some skin cancer spots removed from his eye and they were beginning to come back. The vet says that it is nothing to worry about yet but we will keep a close watch on them.

Yall have really made me feel so much better, you have no idea. I was literally ready to give Chloe away earlier! I know that I just need to work with her and I think when we have a little space, I can do it. It is hard to get anything done when I can't separate her from Chase in order to work with her.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Obedience training will help. I know you don't see it right now, but it will help. It will also give you control.

You don't have to go to a class, just the 5 minutes twice a day will do wonders. After a while, you might go a little longer, but not more than 15 mins. Go through the basics, sit, stay, down, come - all done on a leash is a good start. Off leash comes much later.

She will settle down, she just needs to get out of her teen months!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Oh Autumn....I'm so sorry things look so bad right now! I know how you feel! I too was used to my mellow (most times) cocker spaniel Peche.....who had such a strong connection with me and read my thoughts, needed no training...it was almost scarey! Enter Jonah, the big moose, lovable doofus who at 6 months when I got him was all out 24/7! It's an adjustment for both you and Chloe. With all that's going on in your life right now....just take a deep breathe and remember......IT WILL GE BETTER!! You have Prayers coming from us and licks and hugs from Jonah and Miko!!

Take care....and remember....even though we can't be there in person...we're always here for you on line!! :wink:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you Gene. It is nice to know that I am not alone in my situation. I think that I have just let the stress of other issues get to me that I have blamed Chloe. I know that she is just a pup. Like your cocker, Chase and I are totally in synch and have been from the beginning...I know now that it is probably a rare thing and I cherish him so much :)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Autumn,
I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time, but perhaps a lot of it does have to do with Chloe's age - she is like a teenager right now, and has lots of energy. I think we all get frustrated with our doodles at times - I know Tyke has driven me to distraction on more than one occasion - maybe if you could spend a little more time walking or exercising with her - it might help her outlook and make you feel better too! I run every morning, but right now Tyke is too small to go with me. I just make time every afternoon to take her for at least a short walk - even 15 or 20 minutes helps. It lets her get rid of some of her excess energy - and she has plenty, now that she stays at the office with me all day! It also helps me unwind from the day. Plus, it's just a little more quality time with my doodle! Hang in there - I'm sure Chloe is going to grow into a wonderful dog - with a wonderful Doodle Mom!! :lol:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I was the one who "chose" both Jonah and Miko. Peche on the other hand "chose" me. I got him at 8 weeks from my boss when his dogs had there second (this one unplanned) litter. Since he hadn't gotten them neutered, his wife told him he had to give them away (with papers), because she didn't want to go through all the work she had to the first time. So, I got pick of the litter. Went to see them and Peche at first just sat there in the kiddie pool...looked at me....lept in the air like "me me me...that's who you want....me me me" I picked him up and he fell asleep in my arms. What a great 15 year relationship was started that day! :wink: I still miss him to this day! :cry:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts