Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Other Owners!

My Fiancée and I have just got ourselves 2 Labradoodles puppies. We have had them for 6 weeks now. They are each 5-1/2 months old now and both male.

Both dogs are a lot of fun. They are very attached to each other and seem most contented to wrestle each other, chew rawhide bones or be petted and fed by us.

We got them at 4 months old and they were not house trained. They still have the occasional accident - other than that they have been wonderful additions to the family with incredibly good temperaments. They only occasionally bark and never chew anything we haven't handed them. They love everybody and are extremely happy dogs.

We brought them to our new home in Dubai a couple of weeks ago and I have been crate training them. Hopefully this will help reduce their separation anxieties a little. They love the new home - as we have a large yard, pool, nearby parks and there is always someone in the house.

I have been reading up on training tips and I found www.leerburg.com to have lots of advice - the guy seems to have a huge amount of experience in Dog training. However, I read his article on bring up 2 dogs http://www.leerburg.com/2dogs.htm and he basically says that what we have done is one of the most stupid things possible! He says 2 puppies at the same time is a bad idea, littermates even badder idea and then both male - even worse!

We had thought 2 dogs would keep each other better company and be twice the fun and so far we seem to have been correct.

On the forum on the site he even suggests to people who have made the "mistake" that they try to get rid of one of the dogs. The experience of this trainer seems to mostly be German Sheppard's - but he claims that his advice is good for all breeds.

You guys all know about Labradoodles. Have I made a mistake? Are these wonderful dogs really going to turn on each other in a years time? Should I really consider giving 1 away? What should I be doing?

Hope to hear back from you soon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh my goodness! You will be fine!!! The Leerburg site can be very helpful at times, but there are some things that you can just read there(as most anywhere), say, 'how interesting' and then discard!
Your biggest possible problem might be the puppies bonding more with each other than with you.
Here are some tips:
Take time with each dog individually EVERY day for the first 6 or so months you have them so that they can bond with you instead of just bonding to one another. Go out for separate walks (you'll need to do this to teach nice leash manners anyway), have some one-on-one training sessions with each of them, and attend a group puppy class with each one (separate classes!).
Make sure one puppy is not totally stifling the emotional growth of the other puppy...if you see this happening separate them more often...but only until they are not puppies anymore....then they will be the best buddies in the world.
Good Luck in your new home!
Dubai! How exciting!
Hopefully some breeders will jump in here with some reassurance for you, too!

·
Registered
31 Posts
First off by all means I do not claim to be a dog expert, but i really could not even finish the articles you had linked. I'm not trying to judge the trainer although I do agree with some of the things he claims.

I have two dogs and when I first got Cookie Monster as a 2 year old male English Bulldog (which by the way are known to be dog aggressive) he lived with me at my parents house with our 5 year old Female Eng Bullie Chewy. Chewy was very jealous and alot of times we had to seperate them especially if we ar they were eating. I was even informed that Cookie did not get along with other dogs when I rescued him.After about two weeks we could leave them home alone for short periods and they would lay on the couch together and all. It was not he best of situations but I was waiting for my new home to be constructed so we dealt with it and it was fine.

After I moved into my new home after a few months I got my Goldendood Puffy who was almost 6mths old. When I actullay got him I also got one of his brothers I saved them from a breeder who was running something like a puppymill. Cookie stayed with my parents until I could find one o the Doods a home. I had the 2 bros for 2 weeks and I did not want them to get too close as it would be hardr on them to seperate.

Cookie came home as soon as I found Puffy brother a home. It actually helped with Puffy's seperation anxiety. Cookie and Puffy are now very close Buds. Puffy follows the things Cookie does and he was INSTANTLY house trained.

The main point I agree with is to establish yourself as the alpha leader. Which is not very hard. You HAVE to be the dominant one especially with your commands. I know many people with 2 or even more dogs. I although keep my dogs with me in the house they don't sleep in crates and we do everything together. If done properly I think it is benefical to have to dogs to help with socialization.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have NOT made a mistake!!!! Just read all the posts from people who loved their first "dood" so much they had to get another one (AnnMarie, Gene, Nurse Leslie) to name a few!

It is great that you have two!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well, I had only heard that 2 males MIGHT be a problem, BUT the books I read, (and there were TONS of them), mentioned that in referece to when you bring a puppy into an already established home with an older dog.

I love Calvin to bits and when his sister came up for adoption A YEAR LATER, I HAD to have her. They get along famously and I think it has been the best thing for him AND us....

So you need to do a little selective reading like I do....Read it all, pick out the stuff you like the sound of and ignore the rest....It's kinda like with kids....You get TONS of unsolicited advice on rearing them, you just have to do the things that make sense to you.

ENJOY those little beasts, cause they won't be little for long....And take pictures!
Leslie

·
Registered
462 Posts
My Flat Coated Retriever mix was kept with his brother until about six months of age, when they were both put up for adoption. We firmly believe that his brother was the alpha male. They were soley outside dogs, accord to the pound, and the person who put them up said they were her children's dogs and they weren't caring for them, so she wasn't going to either (boy and am I ever glad they did).

Striker is probably the most obediant dog that I have ever met! But he has pretty extreme separation anxiety, that started after my dad got downsized out of a job and started to hang out with Striker more, and then started trying to find a job, leaving my poor puppy alone again.

It was very easy for all of us to establish dominance over Striker, and I think that's because he was the lesser male. Other than that, there appears to be no problems, we've had him for 8ish years now.

I guess what I'm saying is that as long as you do as these wonderful dual dog owners have done, there shouldn't be a problem. But if you leave them to their own devices, then you might run into problems. Because it isn't like a pack whose alpha male can change, its only one dog over another, and I'm sure that's hard.

In any case, I'm sure everything will be fine!

·
Registered
94 Posts
We adopted 2 year old siblings , Lizzie and Louie nearly a year ago. It was love at first sight, and we have never looked back. We didn't have them as puppies, so don't know if there were any problems early on , but I really doubt it. They are male and female, so don't know about two boys together--but they are wonderful companions, and are totally different from each other. They are great with people and other dogs. I also like knowing that they have each other when we are not at home. I think you will love having sibs !! We sure do !---Kathy, LIzzie and Louie

·
Registered
853 Posts
The only experience I have with this is seeing my neighbor's with two male siblings from birth. They have the mother and kept two of her male pups. They get along 99% of the time just fine, but, once in a while the one dominates the other one and pins him to the ground. BUT, I think the problem with them is that they are not neutered and they are about two years old now, so I don't think they are going to neuter them. I would definitely neuter them if they were mine. Most people have experiences they go by and maybe that trainer had a bad experience once.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think you must consider the breed characteristics. Now, every dog can be great...and I am not judging any type of dog as "good or bad" but as you know, German Shepherd dogs are often used for guard dogs. Their temperament is far different from most Doodles.
You have raised these dogs together so far without incident. You WILL, however, have things come up that would not happen with one dog...but the fact that they are littermates and the same sex, in my opinion, is not a factor.
As in all things...bad behavior can be corrected with good training and patience. Good behavior can be rewarded. You will find that two dogs find twice the trouble, twice the worry, twice the expense, and yet they are also twice the love, happiness, fun, laughter.
I absolutely agree with Linda's advice...do things with them separately and also kennel one without the other, over night, at times. Some day this will have to happen (illness, vet care, etc.) and they should be used to it.
So, be prepared for the bad times, they will come...they do even if you only have one dog...and get good training, be consistent in your training program....and it should be fine.
Labradoodles, if bred from good parents, are very loving and docile dogs. They easily share food and treats and toys...they are not overly protective of their people or property. They share!
I have 2 littermates, both female. We added a standard Poodle, then a Goldendoodle...all living in our house and sharing food dishes, water dishes, toys and attention. We have no trouble at all! Then we kept two of our puppies from different litters...now we just added two small Poodles, siblings. Every dog lives with us. Every dog takes food right out of the mouth of the others.
Okay, so our house gets dirty, cluttered and a bit hectic at times...we wouldn't change a thing!

·
Registered
273 Posts
The breeder I got my doodle from had a strict rule of not selling two pups from the same litter to one family. She said that they bond more with each other and are harder to train. She said we would be better off to get the second dog from another litter and preferably have a bit of age difference between them.

That said, since you already have two I wouldn't worry about it! As long as training and behaviors are going well it seems like you don't have a problem. If problems do start I'm sure they can be worked through with proffesional help if needed.

I do think that getting two sibling back together after they have been separated several months is quite a different situation then two that have always been together.

Enjoy your doodles - and post pictures!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
From our first litter a woman purchased a male cream and amale black puppy. I hear from her every now and then and she could not be happier! I think you have done a wise thing :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
My sweet Pepper was one of two that went to a couple that had just lost an older dog.....It works for some and not others.....this worked out for me!!! And I would have taken sweet sister Pixe too!!! A glass of red wine always helps too if it is a rough (ruff ruff!!) day!!! Try throwing a 3 1/2 year old child in the mix and oh boy!!! Just think of all the fun you get to have with two!!!! Lucky!!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
To me the mistake is the owners if you can handle two puppies then why not. Yes it is twice the work but also twice the pleasure. Some never should own one dog or puppy, some people can have 2, 3, or more and be fine. It is what you are willing to put forth in the puppies that counts if you have the time, devotion, and love then you did not make a mistake!

Enjoy those puppies!!! :wink:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I wanted to add one other thing on this topic,

Some also don't think ahead like what do we do with the puppy/puppies when we go on vacation, (you can't always take them) we can't afford to board them so now what? These are all things that any potential puppy buyer needs to think about before purchasing even one puppy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts