Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Ive been considering a Labradoodle since my Samoyed Napoleon passed on after 14 years in june of last year. Napoleon was a great dog I loved him to death but he was as are most samoyed obstinate at times and quite a rambunctious character including eating 1 carat diamond earings (sifting through poop isnt fun) and he tended for a fondness of my dads false teeth. Im hoping for a bit less spirited pup this time around... am I making a bad choice by considering labradoodles? My parents recently got a standard poodle and hes a great pup lots of energy but when we get done playing with him he is just as content to lie at someones feet...anyones feet.. a burglar, no matter :). Years ago I had a lab and I loved her to death and she was quite mellow as well, but I've read stories on here about labradoodles being quite high strung.

I'm in the construction business and cant be with a pup all day, as I'm sure many people cant, but I want to be a good owner and not get a doodle if they need constant attention that I wont be able to provide (that sounds bad but its honest) Basicaly I've experience my folks poodle and the lab we owned when i was a kid and many other of my friends labs over the years and think both breeds are wonderful, just not sure if im barking up the wrong tree as I have no alergies and shedding isnt too much of an issue (only for my new home and cleaning/smell purposes).
Any and all input would be greatly appreciated and if someone could describe any differences in goldendoodle...labradoodle and Ive just seen Irish doodle temperments. Thank you all so much, this site is a truly great resource.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Welcome,

I really think it comes down to the personality of the parents, the personality of the pup and the effort you put into early training. I have the most laid back labradoodle. I've had him since 8 weeks old and he has been so mellow. He is now 16 months. He doesn't get into trouble, doesn't chew on things he shouldn't, follows me from room to room and lays at my feet. I do not walk him daily but do get him to the dog park several times a week. He is wild at the dog park and will fetch until he drops. I have two young rambunctious children at home as well. (The dog is better behaved!)

I really liked the Monks of New Skete book that discusses different puppy temperments and what is the best fit for each situation. Also, the breeder I used steered me towards her female that had more show lines in her background on the lab side rather than the field lines of her other female. She had observed the pups from her one dam were consistantly more laid back than the other dam.

Good luck!

Heather

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Well said Heather!
I agree that even within Doodles there can be a big difference so you need to look at the parents and then talk to the breeder to find one that suits you. Some are very mellow and some are hell on wheels.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I am lucky as Denver is very mellow........but he has his moments
like all dogs. He is excercised 3 times a day and that is the key for
him. Temperment is huge and both his parents are very loving dogs
His Mom has a very sweet personality and is gentle.
His dad is Mr personality and very laid back..................Denver has the traits of both. I did not meet his parents but corresponded back and forth
with his breeder and asked lots of question. I had seen video of his parents with puppies, other dogs and humans and was very impressed
and thought If my puppy grows to be like either one I would be very happy. My breeder is a soft spoken, warm kind person and her love of her dogs was very evident.

He is not the least bit destructive and can be trusted to
roam the house freely, he will be two in May and has had free roam since 11 months. He will not touch any food unless told to do so.
Denver has been to school and trained constantly by me and my hubby.
Like any dog they need to be trained and thrive at learning..............
Research a lot of breeders and ask a lot of questions and really concentrate on temperment and when you are ready, ask even more
questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts