Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last evening when I took Doc for a walk, we were walking by my neighbor's who has two, almost two-year old, unneutered male Great Danes and their mother. They are on a three acre fenced property with an automatic gate for the driveway. Just as we were approaching the gate, someone in a car opened it to go in, and the dogs ran out and started circling us and barking. The two males stayed back a ways but the mother was coming in, growling aggressively and I kept kicking her over and over and over each time she tried to bite Doc. I even fell down at one point. The lady who was driving the car was standing their yelling and trying to keep the dogs back. Then someone else at the property came running and they finally got the dogs back into the yard. It could have been disastrous so I'm thankful that nothing really happened and the other people were there. It wasn't really anybody's fault. The dogs stay in the yard just fine when the gate is opening for a car or horse to go in and out, but, they wanted to get to Doc. They always run up and down the fence barking furiously when we walk by. I really don't know why my neighbor is keeping both males intact. :? She's not a breeder, although, she did breed the mother once. It sure was scary.

G

·
Wow, Kim that is really scary. Thank God all three did not attack. I hope you both are feeling OK after the fall and scare.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You are really lucky that the two of you didn't get bit, most of the time they all will go after another dog once one does. I do find most of the time females to be somewhat more dominant than males. Not always just sometimes.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
omigosh you poor thing. I am so glad you are ok and so is Doc.
That is just ridiculous, we had a dane and he was the sweetest dog. In fact he was so non aggresive. The lady should do a little training "just in case" that ever happens again.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I can't imagine the 3 of them coming at you! It had to be a nightmare. You're so lucky the pack mentality hadn't taken over yet. Poor Doc too!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone.

LAM - Doc acted fine the whole time. It didn't seem to phase him. He did growl kinda mean a couple times when the female got in his face.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
wow kim...glad to hear YOU and DOC are okay!!! that was probably one hell of a scare.

Did you talk to the owners???? They really need to do something as it could have been alot worse. And your neighbor has a responsibility especially with an incident like this.

Sorry if i sound harsh but I once lived in a beach community where I once got chased by a boxer when I was 9mos pregnant running as fast as I could into a neighbor's hourse. The owner thought it was funny! :shock:
And another neightbor had 2 german shepard guard dogs that did bite 3 people!

Sorry to hear you had to go through this but happy you're both safe and sound

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Annmarie - I don't think it would do any good to talk to the owners. She would somehow turn it into "my fault" if you know what I mean. You're right about it having the potential to be alot worse. As the male dogs mature even more, I'm afraid they could be more aggressive. The owner was not home at the time but came home about a minute later because when I continued on my walk, she turned in on our street. I'm sure the other ladies told her about it, and I half-expected an apology when I went back by on my way home (she was outside) but I shouldn't have. :(

She runs a small boarding stable which is why the other ladies were there.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Okay, Kim...you know my background...you MUST at least report this...why? Because, legally, once an owner has been put on notice that their dog has aggressive tendencies, they are liable for all damage caused by the animal from that point on.
It was lucky that you and Doc were not harmed...really lucky.
I would do two things. I would write a letter, not accusing, just stating facts, and say, "I am writing to put you on notice that your dogs are aggressive and have the potential to hurt passersby and other animals." And I would send a copy to your local animal control officer.
That way, if ever you hear of these dogs attacking a child or a dog, or a cat, or a person...you can prove that the owners knew about it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh Jac, you are probably right (sigh), but, I would be burning my bridges of being able to use her arena and roundpen for my horse. I don't have another place to ride. I pay her a monthly fee, but, she would be so mad at me that I would not be able to use her place anymore. OO, boy, now I feel guilty because I don't want anyone to ever get hurt. They are around other people and children regularly, it's just the dogs they are aggressive towards. What to do, what to do...........

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh...well, that does make a difference...I thought you didn't know them well...still, I think I'd mention it and tell them that it really frightened you...and that you fell down trying to fend off an attack.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Oh Kim: Very tough situation but go with your heart on this one before someone or some animal is seriously injured. I had an experience many years ago with a German Shepherd who used to chase me down the street on my way home from work(there was no alternate route.) The owners of the dog cared less, this was their guard dog. The dog never bit me but terrified me.(would not stop barking or jumping at me) I was scared to report it because I figured the dog would end up being put down and I guess I did not want to be responsible for that. I ended up moving from that area and never did report it or know of any outcome. But I wish now that I did report it because I have always wondered if it ever hurt anyone or anything. I am older and wiser now. So very glad to hear that you and puppy are ok.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Jac is right in that if reported they could have civil suit the next time from SOMEONE ELSE if this happened.

we once fostered a dog here that bit 2 of my children. MY PEDIATRICIAN gave me a choice: give the dog back or it goes reported and the next time she would have to press charges. Also when a dog has a 2nd offense of biting it does get put down.

all i'm saying KIM is not to burn bridges but just let her know how scared you were and if that if it happened to someone else they may not be understanding

1 - 17 of 17 Posts