Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was gardening today I came across a shed snake skin of what looked like a garter snake. When Cali sniffed it she nearly jumped out of her skin and didn't want to get anywhere near it again. I don't think she's ever encountered a snake in the yard. Has anyone else's dog ever acted this way? My concern is that if she encountered a live snake she would try to paw or bite it. There are diamond backs here, so I really need to keep an eye on her in the yard.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think it probably smelled weird...
I wouldn't worry too juch, dogs are pretty good at sensing danger and won't a diamondback give a warning rattle?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
interesting...I don't blame her - I would be afraid too. Hopefully (for your sake) she is afraid and won't become curious.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
dogs and people can pretty much sense the same thing s..but, the dog has a keaner sense of just about everything..even people..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would be very careful indeed. Scout hasn't come across a snake yet, but my previous dog (a fox terrier x corgi) came across many in her time and she showed no fear at all. She was only a little dog (below knee height) but she used to take on snakes up to 2m long! She was awesome at it, but it had the possibility of going horribly wrong.

She'd grab the snake in the middle of its body and rotate her head as quickly as possible so that the snake smacked its head and then its tail on the ground. After several minutes the snake would be dead. Pretty impressive stuff, but it always filled me with fear.

I'm not sure what you should do about it, but from my experience a dog won't necessarily stay away from snakes.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree whole heartedly with what Sessa posted. I went thru that experience with my little cocker Halo.

She was actually playing with a baby rattler until she nudged it into our pool with her nose! :shock: She had to spend the next few days in intensive care and receive antivenin but she did recover.

p.s. Antivenin is VERY expensive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is actually a snakebite vaccine you can get from the vet. It's 2 shots and although it doesn't completely protect the dog from rattlesnakes, it gives them more time before the antidote needs to be given and also less of the antidote is needed.

You also might check in your area to see if there are any snake avoidance classes. It's big out in Southern California. I did it a couple of times with my other dog. They have a snake out (with its mouth taped) and then when the dog notices the snake, they use the shock collar so the dog associates that smell with the shock.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, those are great tips. I'll ask my vet about the snake vaccine and search for some snake avoidance classes.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Wow, I heard about and have thought about the vaccination as I hike in the woods, but the avoidance class sounds great! I would definitely go that route except that where I live we are lucky to get the occational obedience classes. I am going to have to poke around and see if we can't get some avoidance classes going here. I know that I am not the only one that worries about it here...we have big'ole timber-rattlers. :shock:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
You hear of the occasional rattler here plus copperheads (AKA water moccasins). We've seen the copperheads, but not a rattle snake. I get nervous when Cinnamon starts after something in the grass I can't see. It's a good thing she comes when called, most of the time anyway! I don't mind snakes, I have a respect for them but I'm not afraid of them. Anything that eats mice is ok with me!! I hate meeces to pieces!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Diane (Dakota's mom) told me that Walmart and other sporting goods stores carry a snake aversion training kit. Apparently it contains the scent of a snake and the sound of a rattler...probably a shock-type collar too.
I have been meaning to get one. We are in rattler country too...gosh many places are!
I would not count on the dog having a natural aversion to snakes, it would be great, but I wouldn't count on it.
I have given my dogs the snake bite vaccine but I have read that there is no evidence that it is effective and they question the wisdom of injecting dogs with the vaccine...so I'd say to read about the pros and cons before you ask for the vaccine.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
years ago my dad's dog wouldn't stop barking while my dad was under the house fixing something. Finally my father thought something had to be wrong........his dog was trying to warn him of a rattlesnake by him.

I have seen most dogs scared of snakes here.....many are nonpoisonous but all snakes bite. we do have some poisonous ones though

I wonder if the unfriendliness or some odor is given off to a dog to usually stay away

I do know my father once killed a water moccasin that tried to get my brother and me years ago........i am scared poopless of snakes

what i've done to chase them away is to have a rock garden meaning tons of rocks with some sticks tucked on the edge of my property in the woods so they don't come near the house much. Seems to be working for the past 5years now.
and i do Not allow the doodles to walk there either

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
JUDI...the snakes goes there to nest/hide etc and stay farther away from house and go into wooded areas instead :D

and keep away from me so they stop scaring the beejeebers out of me!! hahaha

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey, I just remembered I had this picture to share. I took this photo (baby western rattlesnake) myself. Caught this little guy in my backyard. He was waiting to be picked up to be dispatched. I couldn't bring myself to do that. Did you know you are supposed to cut off the head and bury it because although dead they are still capable of a poisonous (I'm sorry I can't spell this morning) bite?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
yep I am still scared of snakes, any kind. I hope Cacao doesn't like them. She would try and play with knowing her. She chanced birds all the way to the boys bus stop yesterday. My oldest let her out with out a leash on. I had to run out in my pjs. (sorry off topic, I would do anything to change the subject of snakes.) :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
another BUMP!
It is almost time for Rattlers too!
I hike and often worry....I also gave up trying to find the snake aversion training kit.
I really should make another attempt!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
My friend in the Mojave desert said the snakes are showing themselves there already! I hate snakes! I am so glad I don't live back in the desert because Tia and Buddy would think it was a toy! :shock: Those rattlers were a real problem after a winter of a lot of rain like they had this last year. The training kit sounds like a good idea!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts