Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this happen to them?

My Callie (8 months) is shy at the best of times. It takes her awhile to warm up to new people, especially men. Right now, we are visiting with my family across the province, and though she is just fine with my mother, my brother joined us yesterday and little miss Callie has become little miss Nasty. She barks at him, growls at him, gets inbetween him and my mother... this is a side of my sweet shy little girl that I haven't seen before. I have tried telling her 'NO', when she gets started, but it isn't working. I have asked him to simply let her approach him at her own pace, and he is cooperative... he ignores her. But still, she reacts so negatively to him (and to most male strangers, but never before with this intensity). They haven't met before, so I know he's never done anything to hurt her. I'm almost afraid to leave them alone together, she really looks at times like she may bite him!

Theories? Comments? Thanks!

G

·
Maya is afraid of men too. she really doesn't like my grandpa and I feel so bad cause he hasn't done anything to her and I have known him for 30 years and he is the kindest man so it's not a judge of character thing on her part. He just wants to pet her and have her come up to him and she runs from him. I have no idea what to do!!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Try having someone she trusts stand over here as this helps Lincoln feel protected. If she has a collar/leash on you can yank it upwards and say "sit" However she is only 8 months old and i havent been around an 8 month old dog so maybe to little ? Before my parents came by yesterday i gave him a homeopathic remedy for calm and i think it DID help. I also use bachs flower remedies. You could try something like Bachs rescue remedy spray and it is amazing how quick it works. We all use it in our family if we are feeling overly stressed etc and its totally safe. They call it "yoga in a bottle " HAHA Bachs remedy Cherry Plum may work well too.

Michele

·
Registered
156 Posts
Also if you allow others to give him treats have him be the one that gives something like a raw bone something exciting and special. I was told to make sure the boys are the ones that give Lincoln the realllllly special treats so he associates them with that too. DH and I also make sure to switch off on who feeds him. When my dad came to the door i snuck him a treat in his hand.

ALso tell him not to look into his eyes as this tends to make dogs more fearful and they are pretty intuitive and can pick up on the fears. however my mom was really nervous of Lincoln because she was recently bit by a large dog however even though Lincoln probably sensed that he just licked her to death. maybe he was able to take away her fear now.
Michele :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
this site seems to have some good info .

http://www.oes.org/page2/5451~biting_scared.html

we are working with not allow any food from the table while we eat, has to sit and wait until he gets his food, we are first out the door etc, While i will play tug a war with him i always make sure i win and we do allow him in our bed because its so great to have a doodle that wakes you when you sleep in with kisses ( this is when Dh lets him out before i get up) and they look so pretty up there too haha.

Lincoln has to sit before any treats or to play, if he wants to play we are working on not engaging right away so we initiate it.

we all work differently with our dogs but the foster was saying since he never bonded he needs and wants that reassurance that the HUMAN is the alpha.

Oh and just like kids i have been trying to use distraction if i know he will exhibit a certain behavior so i will make sure to give hima treat before hand but NOT after he say growls etc

boy im chatting tonight lol
michele

G

·
lmtoth2 said:
Heather - have you tried having your grandpa sit with treats and let Maya come to him?
Yeah we tried that and she won't go near him even for those. But if the only spot left on the couch is next to him well then she will grudgingly sit there. (After she tries to climb in my lap). I don't know what's with her.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Jaxy is afraid of men do and he is a little wiry of women too (at first and the LOVES them). He ALWAYS loves kids and other dogs.

I have found this to be concerning a (frankly) a little embarrassing. Jaxy was barking like a crazy dog at my brother's friend (the guy was creepy--he actually started barking back at Jax!) Jaxy is such a sweet lovey dog, I hate to see him behave this way.

There is very little that seems to help him except trying to supervise interactions between Jax and new people and have them give him a treat.

·
Registered
146 Posts
No, but I think he is kind of a timid dog...although you would never know it once he gets past the first hurdle of getting to know the person a little.

We are going to try and socialize him a little more with people, besides family.

Any ideas of what's the best way to socialize a dog with people? He doesn't get nasty as much as barks then runs away or hides behind me or my husband.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Beau is shy. He takes some time to warm up to people. He isn't bad. Just walks away from new people at first. But he is now warmed up to the boys and Chris and i. But when my mom and sister came over it took him a few minutes to warm up to them. And we had to take it slow. They would walk up to him slowly and hold out a hand I would take their hand and tell Beau it is ok. And he would sniff their hand then lick it. Then it was all good.

·
Registered
593 Posts
A: Oh we know a lot about that kind of behavior, don't we Sampson?
S: *Looks innocent* Woof!
A: You still don't want to go near Daddy even though its been 6 months.
S: *Head Tilt*
A: You know he's not going to hurt you...
S: *Jumps up and gives kisses in the middle of our "talk*

Yeah, Sam hates men but that is because he was abused in his former home. He will be okay sometimes but then he'll get growly and barky. He slounds really mean but honestly is running away while barking so he's more afraid I guess.

Right now, when someone comes to the house, they hand Sammy-Doodle a treat and we make a big deal hugging them and showing Sammy that they are people we are comfortable with.
Daddy has special treats that only he is allowed to give Sam also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts