Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lack there of...

So, about an hour ago, I received a phone call, from one of the office staff at my apartment complex. She was collecting the key to my apartment because it was the SECOND time they've found Napa outside of our apartment.

Yes, you've heard me right, SECOND. The first time, they found him, went to our apartment, found the front door WIDE open, and Napa running around the parking lot. They put him in, closed the door and went on their way. They are circling back, and found him AGAIN, running around the complex. The put him back in, and started to walk away and Napa OPENED UP the FRONT DOOR! This is when they called me....

Now, back story.... I left Napa this morning with three treat filled toys, a hampster water bottle filled. We thought we were having workers come into the house so I made sure everything was secure.... But, I hadn't put Napa's collar on. I brushed him last night, and he's alright on recall, so I just left it off of him this morning.....

So, my little houdini managed to push himself out of the bottom part of the crate, run out of the bedroom he was in. Grab with his mouth the poochie bells that we've got on the door. Pulled the handle, which automatically unlocks the deadbolt, and allows the person to escape out...

What am I going to do with this dog? We thought he'd just sleep all day since he's been out at doggie daycare all week. I'm returning the crate to either Petco or Petsmart, which ever one we bought it from. It was an expensive crate, and its not containing him. And we're going to have to find a Baby's R Us or something similar to baby proof, or Napa proof, the doors.... *ACK*

I'm glad he's ok, but how do you stop behavior that happens when your not home? And how do I contain him if he's figured out how to escape wire crates?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Napa is a smart doodle. I wish I could help. I have no ideas other then say get a different cage and I just don't know.....sorry. :cry:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Kristen...you install a dead bolt lock :D

i had to years ago due to my daughter escaping at the ripe age of 2 years old

·
Registered
146 Posts
Napa is a smarty!!! That is a funny story, although it is very concerning.
Hopefully next time he will use his genius for good-doodle stuff :D instead of bad stuff :twisted: .

Jaxy opens the doors too (the ones with the "hook" handle). So if we are concerned that he might get out we have to lock it (dead-bolt etc). The kennel we use for Jaxy is a simple metal one we got at Walmart. It has two locks on the front gate and he has never gotten out (just make sure that the door is latched correctly). I dont think it was more than $60.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We HAVE a deadbolt :cry: :cry: :cry:

What do you guys think of this?

Crate

We need a door that's on the side of the crate (long side) because of the position of the crate in our apartment. We downsized out of two hundred sqft, so space is limited....

Also, what do you think of something like this?

DAP

I hate that he's so stressed out, especially after such an exhausting week. I DO plan on figuring out a way to crate train him and Striker this summer, but I want a back up plan at this point. I can't have him escaping like this when I move home!

·
Registered
448 Posts
The crate I had for Nicky had two doors, but we only used the end one. I bought the crate at Petco. It worked fine. Each door had 2 closures and Nicky never escaped from it.

I don't think I'd use the plugin gadget. I think it would be a waste of money, but then I don't use any scented plugins or any other such scent producing items in my house. The scents are artificial smelling to me and are more annoying than they are soothing. They make me sneeze!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Wow! Napa sure is a smartypants! That's scary that he managed to get outside though. Can you put a strong lock on the outside of the bedroom door? Something that you can lock as you're leaving? Then if he escapes his crate at least he'll be stuck in your bedroom.

You could also try reinforcing/blocking the bottom part of his crate with zip-ties, chains, padlocks, etc. Apparently this works for some "escape artists".

Do you leave the radio or tv on when you're gone? Sometimes it calms them a little.

You'll appreciate this: :wink:
http://www.danesonline.com/dc/dcboard.p ... c_id=46516

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
On the DAP.....tried it when Jonah was having separation issues pre-Miko....he must be part of the 9% that it didn't work for!! I say don't waste the money!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I know you'll hate to hear this again.....but I have no further advice either.
I'm so happy he's okay!!!
These doods are too smart sometimes! :shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts