Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you used a dremel to grind your dood's nails as opposed to clipping them? The vet tech recommended I learn to grind Finn's nails because they are kind of hollow near the tip and the quick is near where the hollowness ends(if I remember what she said correctly).

If you do grind, do you have any recommendations for brands, models, speeds, attachments, etc.? Have you found any techniques that work well for you?

Thanks!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm interested in this too. I've been thinking of getting a nail grinder/dremel but would like to hear about the different products from those who use them first. Are they really as good as the ads say they are?

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
The only way to cut Denver's nails is by grinding
I take him to the groomers for this but am going to
get my own and do it myself. Will talk to groomer
and see what brand etc she uses and buy that, will let you know.........

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
gene said:
My brother ordered the peticure for me for my bday......it's on back order....I'll keep you posted!
If I were you I'd stick to the old fashioned people nail clippers!
I can't see how you are going to get those big fingers of yours into that little hole? :shock: Besides I also use a dremel for Abby in between vet visits to keep the claws shorter.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
mtd885 said:
gene said:
My brother ordered the peticure for me for my bday......it's on back order....I'll keep you posted!
If I were you I'd stick to the old fashioned people nail clippers!
I can't see how you are going to get those big fingers of yours into that little hole? :shock: Besides I also use a dremel for Abby in between vet visits to keep the claws shorter.
I don't know many "old fashioned" people....mostly the "new fangled" variety..... :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I am interested int his as well. Please chime in if you use any type of grinder.
(Not monkey organ grinder, though! I want NO part of that!! :lol: )

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
cissy k said:
I am interested int his as well. Please chime in if you use any type of grinder.
(Not monkey organ grinder, though! I want NO part of that!! :lol: )
Pepper Grinder :lol: I use it all the time even on ice cream :shock:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I got the Peticure Elite and it works !!! Had to get her used to it (they have a video online). She doesn't LOVE it, but she doesn't fight me or run from me. I trained with lots of tiny treats and very short grinding time. Now she's fine.

You can also just buy the attachment if you already have a dremmel that it fits (see website). I wanted chordless, so I had to get the whole thing. It's the attachment that makes it work -- the body is just a dremmel.

I'm very pleased with it thus far. They had issues with the batteries, but so far it is recharging. I think people didn't read the "tiny" insert that said NEVER CHARGE THE BATTERY MORE THAN 2 HOURS STRAIGHT. Can't believe I read it cuz I also usually skip the instructions. :roll:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I decided to try it! I got a dremel minimate for less than $20 and it is even cordless. It runs at low speeds (5000 and 10000 RPM) and is quite quiet. Finn doesn't seem to mind it at all as long as he is tired. I'm just doing a little at a time to get him used to it. I haven't even had to bring out the treats yet!

Pringle is another story. He told me in no uncertain terms that I would need kevlar gloves if that thing was going anywhere near his paws. I'll get a helper and peanut butter before I try him again! Silly old man.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Try leaving it laying next to you turned on and have a favorite treat in your hand and feed a couple. I started this way, then the next day I rubbed it on her body while giving a treat (turned off), then rubbed it on her body (turned on -- mine has a COVER over the top part). Each time your done -- PRAISE PRAISE -- then play with a toy immediately.

We went REALLY slow. Each time was only for a couple of minutes. Then we stopped and played with a toy (but I left it laying on the floor).

I think it's the noise that scares them. You are correct in doing it when they are VERY tired.

·
Registered
66 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts