Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riley's nails are super sharp - even after cutting, and she's not really keen on the nail file - she won't stay still long enough for me to really file them.

Am i not cutting them short enough, or do i just have to file a nail at a time until they aren't razor sharp anymore? I used to cut my aunt's dog's nails all the time and I don't remember them being like this.

Are there any tips out there for how to clip them the right way? the vet just told me to shave off a little at a time, but I don't know how short is too short without getting to the quick...

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I dont cut ABs nails, I'm always afraid of cutting to short - DH does it - in Very Brigh light so he can see well what he is cutting

if rough spots, we do use the nail file sorry I dont have any good tips

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I take Denver to the groomer and they
file them with a dremal tool................
Only way he will let it be done!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I bet Riley has black nails, correct? I never understood how it was tough to know where to cut until we got Kirby. Dexter has pink/white nails and the part to cut is so obvious. We get nervous with Kirby's nails...my husband will trim them but we took him to Petsmart to have them cut last month.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lmtoth2 said:
I bet Riley has black nails, correct? I never understood how it was tough to know where to cut until we got Kirby.
Yes, her nails are black, well most of them - where her toes are white her nails are white too - so the back few I had no problem cutting, but the rest are so hard, plus the fur everywhere makes it even more difficult to see the nail, add struggling and you have a lovely experience...

The cats have white claws so where we are used to the struggling we at least could see where to cut!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I use nail clippers that have a guard that only lets you remove so much at a time. Jonah and Rumor have the sharpest and they "tolerate" the nail file I use that's curved to match the nail shape. Miko wears hers down naturally with all the zipping she does on the dog run part of my fenced yard.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I use a dremel tool and grind the nails down. I am always playing with Abby's feet while holding my beard trimmer (dog clipper) to get her used to the sound before I use the dremel which works GREAT. It's almost impossible to cut the quick by sanding...Hope this helps...mtd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts