Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the habit of taking Dex with me as I go on my errands (he really likes car rides). He waits for me in the car. Now that the weather is getting pretty chilly, I'm wondering how long he can be out in the car?

In general, how well do doodles tolerate the cold? - I'm even thinking in terms of going for walks, etc. Are they as hearty as say, Huskies?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm interested in this also. My previous dog was a golden/lab mix. We would walk when it was -35 degrees celcius (sorry I am from canada), and she was absolutely fine without boots, coat (for me though, it was bitter cold!).

With Bailey, I find even at -20 celcius he is holding his paws up and a little shivery - even with a sweater on. I had heard that some doodles don't have much of an undercoat (mine is a f1 wiry, seems thin coat) and you need to be more careful in the cold. I don't know if this is true though, I'm sure others here know more.

I think in general, it depends how on how your individual dog tolerates it. My puppy seems not to tolerate the cold half as well as my golden/lab did, even as a puppy. I would get him boots but feel he would just rip them off (unless anyone has suggestions of a good brand out there?).

As for running errands I think a pup would be fine sitting in a vehicle with maybe a blanket to wrap his snout in.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Now that it's cooler I've been doing the same thing with Chouette. If it's daytime the interior of the car is usually very comfortable, and she likes cold, anyway. But I wouldn't leave her in there for long at night if the temperature were low.

Tonight it's going down to the twenties and she has to stay in her crate today because we're going to see The Nutcracker matinée at Stockton College, and then we're going out to dinner later at friends'. She could stay in the car at Stockton if we didn't mind puppy all over our good clothes, but we do. And tonight it will be too cold.

But she loves coming with me in the car. She curls up on the seat while waiting, and when she hears the click of the remote unlocking the doors I can see the curly little head pop up to see where I'm appearing from.

Leslie

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner did the same thing, lifted his paws last year and got cold very quickly. This year however, the snow and cold doesn't seem to bother him.

As far as how long they can stay in the cold, it depends on whether they are running, jumping, walking and generating body heat. Also, the humidity is a factor and whether they are getting wet. It is very dry in Utah so it doesn't feel as cold.

If they are just left sitting in a cold car for 15 minutes, I think that would be okay. Longer, I wouldn't do.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Last year Dex seemed to prefer the very cold :) We walked all winter...but I agree - probably wouldn't leave them in the car for more than 15 min.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HOW do they handle the cold you ask?
I could say ENTHUSIASTICALLY WITH EASE

OR

YOU tell me hahahhahaa

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Wow, Annmarie!! You have snow already?? I haven't seen the weather in days, so that surprised me!! We are going to be nearly 80....high 70's for the next couple of days, I think. Then back into the 60's during the day.

I have taken Coco with me on errands now that it isn't close to 100....and she does fine. In the 40's for a walk is fine, too. Haven't had to try anything much colder yet.

Great photos of the doods in the snow! Makes me a little jealous! Looks like such fun.
8)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
We haven't had the problems with the cold here either, and Tyke has been going EVERYWHERE with me! We walk early in the morning, and have had low 40's so far, and it doesn't seem to bother her. My problem will be the summers, when it stays up in the 90's around here and I can't take her and leave her in the car - she is going to HATE that!! :evil:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
back to topic that i didn't mean to hijack with my silly pics (but couldn't resist hhhahaaa)

Yes Jane we got our 1st snow of the season which is actually late for here and I have NO complaints hahhaaa makes winter a tad shorter :wink:

·
Registered
985 Posts
Kim, I know; I've really been enjoying being able to take Chouette with me now that the temperatures are lower. Summer's going to be a real problem for her, used as she is to accompanying me everywhere. The other day when I crated her for the first time in days, because I was going to be shopping for a longer period of time with my granddaughter, she barked at me indignantly! Although she doesn't like the crate and tries to avoid me when she knows it's That Time again, normally she's quiet about it. This time she scolded me roundly!

Leslie

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Leslie, I think summer is going to be rough for both of us! Tyke has gotten used to going everywhere I do! I'll be getting the indignant barks too this summer!

·
Registered
985 Posts
tykesmom said:
Leslie, I think summer is going to be rough for both of us! Tyke has gotten used to going everywhere I do! I'll be getting the indignant barks too this summer!
Too right! I had hoped that with my moon roof open and the windows down a bit it would be okay, but unless I could park in deep shade it just wouldn't work. I do see people leaving their air conditioning on with dogs in the car, but that would make me too uneasy. Hopefully by that time I'll at least be able to leave her free in the house - maybe. She's fine in my car, and fine in the house if we're outside doing something that we don't want her involved in, like hanging a deer. We've never left her for more than fifteen minutes or so, though.

Leslie

G

·
MaxandMe said:
Yes Jane we got our 1st snow of the season which is actually late for here and I have NO complaints hahhaaa makes winter a tad shorter :wink:
Careful what you say!!! Winter has been known to last well into Apr in those parts!!! Didn't you guys have a wonderful snowy Easter last year??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts