Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son went to let Charlie out before they left for school this morning, and Charlie got a little excited and pushed Timmy out of the way before the storm door opened all the way. Because the door didn't open all they way, the piston didn't have a chance to fill up with air to close it slowly, and it caught Charlie's tail in the door. The end got "de-gloved" as the vet put it. About a half inch of bone was sticking out of the end with no skin to cover it and stitch together. The firsty vet, the one we always go to, wanted to take his whole tail off because she was afraid he would chew the stitches after surgery and cause complications. Their estimate was way high ($1800), so I took him down the street to an other well known vet. They just amputated enough bone to get enough flesh to stitch together. I dropped him off at 11:00 and I got a call at 1:30 saying he was already done. Their estimate was only $430. I couldn't believe the price difference.

My old vet just put a huge beautiful addition on, so I guess they need to pay for it somehow. I know the price shouldn't be the determining factor, but both vets have been in business for a long time, and both are well known. I didn't hesitate one bit thinking he wouldn't be cared for any less at the second vet. I was just amazed how over-priced the first vet was!

G

·
Owwwwie! Poor Charlie...poor wallet! Get well soon, Charlie! (And a BIG PFFFFT to the vet who was afraid Charlie would chew his stitches so lets take off his WHOLE beautiful tail! :roll: That's what the e-collars are for! )

G

·
Sheesh! I still can't believe the vet wanted to REMOVE his tail! Is this common?
I found this pic of him with his tail.
Gorgeous Charlie with tail:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm picking him up shortly, so I'll see the damage. The vet left me a voice-mail when he was done and said they just took off what they had to, so I'm hoping there won't be a noticable difference. I don't think I could have brought myself to give them the go ahead to take off the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Oh my gosh poor Charlie! Poor baby, PLEASE update how he'd doing. What an out-of-left-field injury. Ugh this one made me cringe. Lotsa lotsa hugs and kisses going his way.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
So, are you going to switch vets permanently to the second one? I only ask because the two proposed outcomes, cost of surgery aside, were so different. I would prefer conservative to not in that circumstance.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Yikes!! I just saw this!! Poor Charlie. Glad you did the right thing for a second opinion. Although I love my Miko's little nubbins of a tail.....your vet was totally wrong on that call. Please keep us informed and even post a picture of poor Charlie's "remodeling".

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
my back hurt when i read this..im really glad charlie is going to
be OK..im sure everyone is going to be a little more careful from
here on out..

im sure the hell am..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He's doing ok for now. We took the cone off for a while so he could get some rest.

So far he hasn't bothered it, but he is still pretty doped up on meds....

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Oh, your poor boy! I'm sure he will be fine but what a nightmare! It's a good thing dog's don't have much vanity. He probably won't mind at all haven't a bit shorter tail once it heals.

But about the vet.... I'd seriously consider whether or not your first vet is a good choice.

Deb

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DebBrown said:
But about the vet.... I'd seriously consider whether or not your first vet is a good choice.

Deb
I think we'll be going to the new vet for everything now. I was very pleased with everything they did.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts