Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got him today. He is beautiful. However I am concerned about his temperament. I picked him because he was the calm one that went and hid from me. He is very scared. I gave him a bath after a few hours, and he began to sniff my hand and the blow dryer, but he is still very shaky. He is now asleep on the couch, but when I take him outside to go, he is very scared. He has not went potty since I got him today at 4:30, not pee or poo. I fed him what was given to me and he lapped it up, put another cupful and he lapped it up as well. He is drinking water too. I guess I am just worried. I just want him to go to the bathroom. I dont care now whether it is outside or not, I just want him to go and he hasnt yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also

He was born 12/8/05...I think he has been kenneled the whole time with the only other brother of his. So I know this is a big change. I am just worried about him not going to the bathroom.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new puppy!
Don't be too worried about your pup's fear just yet. He has been going through a lot of changes and he is feeling pretty insecure.
How old is he? Was he with his mother and siblings when you got him?
You might want to see about getting him a snuggle puppy (they are warm and have a heartbeat) and it might help him. http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ ... garden-aps
And just hold hold him a lot so that he will feel your love and soon he will be more secure with you.
He will potty when he needs to...he just might be afraid to do it in front of you for some reason.
Not knowing what his home was like before, it is hard to say what is going on right now with him...but I think that you can be assured that with your love and attention he will be a different puppy by tomorrow or the next day. If not, then you might want to contact your breeder and ask what advice they can give to you.
Keep us posted and we will try to help you through it too.
But for now, just enjoy the cuddle time! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still on the couch

He is still on the couch lounging and sleeping after 45 minutes...I love him so much already. I guess I just want to know that he is being kind of withdrawn or lazy on purpose. I so want a laid back lazy dog, so this is great! I just want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong or that he isnt suffering from something that makes him lazy.

Geez, I feel like when I brought my son home...I am scared that I am doing something wrong and I will ruin things :( .

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hey, there is nothing wrong with falling in love with your new puppy! :wink:
It doesn't sound to me that you are doing anything wrong and if he is sleeping on your couch...well, he must feel pretty secure!
Just give him lots of love and treats and time and he will be fine.
Have you made an appointment with your vet yet? You might want to discuss his behavior with your vet, make sure that he is healthy because sometimes if they are in pain (for any reason) they tend to hide...so, once you rule out any physical problems, and discuss your fears with your vet, I think you will be ready to move forward and teach your puppy all about how wonderful life with you will be!
I sure is easy to fall head over heels in love with these babies, isn't it?
When you get a chance, maybe you will post his picture so that we can all welcome him properly!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Don't worry about it, i'm sure he's just terrified. He just got pulled out of the only situation he's ever known, being with his mom and littermates, into a new place, with new smells, sounds and sights, and of course you, also completely new.

We adopted our Maggie when she was 9 months old, and she was so terrified that she didn't pee or poo for a good 2-3 days!!! I too was getting rather frustrated, ("I understand you're afraid, but please pee already ;)"), but at one point she got going and hasn't stopped yet ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
It is such a huge change for them.
I would love to see pictures of him when you get around to it.
tm

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
He will warm up to you in no time he probably did bond more with his litter mater but he will pull out of that soon. Just be slow and patienced and give lots of love and maybe a few treats won't hurt either. If your worried about upset tummy I use their dry kibble a lot for this. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice and give an update. He is starting to slowly warm up. He has only had one accident so far, and that was probably my fault because he went to the back door and barked and I was so amazed to hear a sound that I didnt realize he had to go.

His name is Floyd, dh is a pink floyd fan...it wasnt my first choice, but I got to name our son so I thought I would throw him a bone :lol: . He still has to be picked up to go out and picked up to come in, he does not like a leash. Once we are out in the back yard he is ok and starts sniffing around and does his business...but the second I try nudging the leash to get him to go in he just plops right down. He started to play today too, running around and bit and pouncing in the living room. Now he is back on the couch asleep :) .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts