Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OH
Posted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:01 pm Post subject: My itchy doodle...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone!

This is my first time on the site and am hoping you can help...

I have a six month old F1b male named Onyx. He is my world! About a month ago, he started developing small bumps on his front leg and on one of his rear flanks. They look almost like skin tags and are very itchy. After taking him to the vet...several times...we were unable to find the cause. Since then, I've changed his diet and removed all of his raw hide treats.

The rash appears to be going away and his itching has dramatically decreased. In fact, it looks great! So, I'm assuming it was just a food allergy... It also appears that his coat may be changing although I was unaware that F1b's coats change...??

I guess I wanted to just double check with other doodle owners to see whether or not this could be something I should continue looking into medically or check to see if there were any other reasons as to why he might have developed a rash...

Any ideas??

Thanks so much!

Jamie

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hi Jamie and WELCOME! :D

An itchy condition is typically environmental, so the easiest thing to start with is food and then go from there. I have found CORN to be a culprit with the itchy ears my poodles get, and also some skin-scratching. It's funny how it doesn't bother our puppies but at or near 6mos old this can occur, so I would guess there's a maturation happening somewhere. <??> There are coat changes than happen between 6-12mos in f1b doodles as they shift from puppy to adult coats. Matting seems to take over at some point as the 2 coats try to co-exist, or a major shedding spell if your puppy has the shedding hormone.

I love the name Onyx! I'm glad he's clearing up, too.

What are you feeding your pup now?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, thank you SO much for getting back to me!

I switched him from Iams Puppy Chicken Chiots over to the Lamb and Rice meal. He seems to be taking to it well, although he is starting to get picky. Any suggestions for a really good, but not too expensive, food?

We have been struggling with quite a bit of matting, or at least more than usual, so that may be part of the problem. I actually took him back to our groomers yesterday and just had them cut him short. I hated to do it, but I just couldn't keep struggling with some of the knots (especially under his legs, his forehead, and beard). His hair has been growing very quickly, so hopefully it won't take him too long to get back to his doodle-look.

Another quick question if you don't mind... I'm going back and forth with the idea of allowing him to be a stud dog. (I've done my research, but everyone I talk to seems to have a different opinion.)

Actually, I have a friend who breeds F1's who is begging me to let Onyx stud for her so that she can start raising multi-gens. She has a 2 yr. old apricot F1 and is hoping that I'll allow her and Onyx to start "dating" when he gets a bit older. He is CKC registered and from champion lines (at least on his poodle side) and he has an amazing temperment and conformation.

I've heard a number of different opinions so I was just wondering what your take might be?

I just have so many questions... How will it effect my dog's temperment if I allow him to stud and then have him neutered? Is six months the ideal age to neuter a dog or is it ok if I wait a bit longer to decide? And, if I do allow him to stud, how do I go about getting the proper tests run first, i.e. OFA? Is there a way to register him as a stud dog so we might be able to work with other breeders than just my friend??? Ugh... Lots of questions!

Onyx is a cutie though... I have two of his pics posted on the site below. One pic is at six weeks, the other is at six months.

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures/g ... oodle-0057

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures/g ... oodle-0062

Thanks again for your help and advice!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts