Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per my buyers contract, I am supposed to give my darling doodle, Kryczek, a NuVet vitamin every day...only thing is that if I crush it into his food, he doesn't eat, and he sure won't take it plain. Also, he had a couple episodes of vomiting and I honestly can't determine whether it is the twigs he is getting his paws on outside, the rawhide chew or the vitamins in his food. Any suggestions on how to get him to take his vitamin?
Oh, I should mention, that when we leave the vitamin out of the food, he gobbles up with no problems.

BTW, LOVE this forum and you all seem so helpful and nice. I am looking forward to learning tons more as well as sharing my doodle happiness!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
hmmmmm sounds like K doesn't like the vitamin :wink: Annabelle doesn't get vitamins, but whenever we had to give one of our labs anything, we wrapped it in a small piece of bread and they sucked it down.
You can also try wrapping it in a small piece of cheese, buying pill pockets which I've heard do work and don't work, guess it depends on the doggie

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... ocket&Np=1

Good luck

G

·
I did this with Maya when she had to take antibiotics she hated. I cut the pill up in small pieces. Took a spoonful of Peanut Butter and then just turned the spoon over on the cut up pill and then held the spoon out for her to lick.

BTW I don't give Maya vitamins either.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Huh... I've never heard of a buyer's contract specifying vitamins! Personally, I'd think it more important to feed a high quality food then to supplement with vitamins.

ANYWAY... it might be easier to just put it down his throat. I hold the dog's head back, put the pill as far back as in can reach in the throat, then hold the mouth shut and stroke the neck. Once its down, I usually follow with a treat to reinforce cooperative behavior.

Deb

G

·
Speaking of vitamins....those that give fish oil. Do you just put the whole capsule in the food? Or do you squirt the sontents on the food? I just started giving Maya fish oil capsule cause she has been itching a little more and I think it could be cause of the colder weather. Plus her and I have been shocking each other at least 10 times a day. Anyway I put the capsule in her food and she eats it put I think some squirts out because I caught her licking the kitchen floor this morning.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i don't give vitamins and i am surprised a breeder would say that you Have to give vitamins. I would think that is up to you and possibly a vet?

Heather, i take a pin and pierce the fish oil and squirt it on my dogs food
they gobble it up then

oh why don't i give vitamins? they eat 2 kinds of canidae
along with pineapple, sweet potato, little bit of avacado, sometimes canned pumpkin, along with some veggies.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Normally if I have to give pills of some sort, I wrap it in cheese or a piece of meat. Mine are not fond of pills.

Hearing that a breeder would say that the dog has to take those vitamins is ridiculous, but I have heard of some that do that. I am sure you are all aware that when you buy the nuvet vitmains with the breeders code, the breeder gets money for your purchase, and it is another way to void a contract if you do not use them. Pretty silly if you ask me.

Heather, I give mine fish oil capsules and just throw the capsule in their bowl. They eat it just fine that way.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Per contract? WOW! My vet doesn't recommend any vitamins at all........I'm surprised a breeder would. :roll:
If I have to give any pills/capsules I put them in a piece of no fat cheese slices. All my dogs loved it that way! :D

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We cover pills in peanut butter when we give them to the doodles - they act like it's a treat.

I'm also quite surprised there is a vitamin claus in your contract...how would that ever be enforce? I mean I don't see any harm in giving them (they're probably beneficial), but still...

G

·
Thanks...Maya eats hers fine that way too. I was just curious as to why she was licking the kitchen floor. I don't cook so that wasn't the reason!!!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Shannon(Phantom-Star) said:
Hearing that a breeder would say that the dog has to take those vitamins is ridiculous, but I have heard of some that do that. I am sure you are all aware that when you buy the nuvet vitmains with the breeders code, the breeder gets money for your purchase, and it is another way to void a contract if you do not use them. Pretty silly if you ask me.

Heather, I give mine fish oil capsules and just throw the capsule in their bowl. They eat it just fine that way.
I give Chouette fish oil capsules in her food. Sometimes she picks them out and crunches them; she loves them.

Re the vitamins, I wonder whether the formulation of Nuvet is something we'd want to give our dogs anyway. I'm very picky about the kinds of vitamins we take ourselves. What would be the repercussions of not following through on the Nuvet? Could the breeder take the dog back? Or would the breeder simply not consider himself liable should a health problem surface? I would think that if you had a decent lawyer and could produce vet records vouching for your impeccable care of your dog you could nullify that clause. Not suggesting you do that, Kristen, but I'm just speculating.

Especially in view of the kickback that Shannon mentions, I would feel very uncomfortable with that stipulation.

Leslie

·
Registered
972 Posts
The vitamins would be fine for the dog, but most of the stuff that is in there is in a lot of the good dog foods that we feed our dogs. I don't see these as being any better than other vitamins that other companies would sell cheaper. These are almost 60 dollars for 3 months and if you have to also add grooming onto that, it can start to get very costly.

The reprocussions would be that the contract would be void. Basically, if there were any health issues, the dog would not be covered. People have been raising dogs for so many years without vitamins like this and the dogs have lived quite well and happy. I just see it as more money for the breeder if they do stipulate this type of thing.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I noticed alot of the LD breeders recommending and also requiring these vitamins so checked into them. I ordered the intro pkg. and handed a hand-ful of them out with along with the pamphlet, with each puppy, but I did not require them. I give only a half of a tablet to my mini-pins & puppy, and a whole tablet to mom(75#). My 14 yr.old mini-pin won't eat them, her daughter has started refusing them, the puppy takes them, and mom kinda say's "well.... okay" now. I am almost through my 2nd. bottle.
Since them I have read articles on nutrition which say's that if you feed a quality food, no vitamins are needed. We feed Canidae so I don't push the vitamins & now kind of question even giving them.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Shannon(Phantom-Star) said:
I just see it as more money for the breeder if they do stipulate this type of thing.
Good angle. I hadn't thought of that. The cynic in me now wonders if the breeder gets a kick-back from the vitamin company. That's kind of low if the whole friggin' contract is void because the dog wasn't taking vitamins.

Sounds as though the breeder has an agenda. My radar is blipping.

I'd be reeeeealy interested to see how the breeder would respond if you called her/him and said that your dog was NOT eating satisfactorily with the vitamin, but willingly ate everything when it was omitted, and since you and your vet are concerned about malnourishment at this point, and since the vitamin and its clause appears to be the reason, would she mind releasing you IN WRITING from that stipulation?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow...I didn't mean to cause such a stir. I really am happy with the breeder I got him from and honestly feel that they meant no ill harm. I too have researched some on the type of vitamins and don't find any negative about them. I could purchase them direct from the manufacturer, but if ordering using a breeder's code, it is discounted. I completely trust my breeder and they sell other products at practical cost compared to Petco, etc. In regards to vitamins in general, if they have the potential to increase the health of my dog, I am in support of doing all I can. Thank you again for the suggestions.

·
Registered
313 Posts
the suggestions here are all good...Bubba and our other dogs get NuPro, it mixes with a little water to create a sauce for their food which they enjoy...it seems to work well as our 16 year old pointer will attest

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
It's quite possible that with the vitamins your dog is getting an overload of something... possibly iron or such... that's upsetting the stomach. I can't imagine any justifiable reason a breeder would put that in a contract. Too much is just as bad for them as not enough... and each body uses them a bit differently.

Makes me wonder what the motive really is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts