Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I've lurked here for several months and figured it was time to say hello. I am a new Doodle owner-- we got my F1b cream labradoodle Holly in December when she was 8 weeks old. She is 18 weeks now, and so much fun and a total joy to have in our family. She is housetrained, smart, knows many commands and tricks, is well-behaved (aside from some puppy nipping) and fun.

But my question is this: it seems like Holly goes happy happy nuts over EVERYONE she meets-- full body wagging, excited panting, big smile, jumping and barking, etc. She is like this when my husband comes home from work every day, when the kids get off the bus from school, if someone knocks at the door, if I meet a friend somewhere, etc. When I come home...nothing. Maybe an unenthusiastic tail thump or two. :( She seems to like strangers better than me!

I am home with her all day, and we do have fun-- we go on several long walks together. I train her, scratch her and pet her, talk to her, play ball with her, etc.... Am I just boring since I'm around all day? Is this just primary caregiver syndrome? (I know my kids would rather spend time with Dad since they don't see him as often-- hence that mysterious 'cool' factor.) Should I be doing something else with my Doodle? HELP!

Thanks for listening to me ramble. You all have answered so many of my questions during the time I've 'lurked' here! You seem like such a friendly and helpful group! I will post pictures of Holly when I figure out how to do so. She is such a silly, smiley cute little thing!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hi and Welcome

I dont' know what to tell you on that one, Annabelle greets me like I've been gone for months if I go to the mailbox. I'm also home with her all day - she goes nuts over Daddy too, she knows when it's time for him to get home from work, but if we go out together and come home, she greets us both lovingly and bouncingly :wink:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Try going away for a few days! :lol: Boyd is like this with me UNTIL I go on a business trip. Then he's absolutely nutso for me upon my return, for a few days at least...

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I am home with her all day, and we do have fun-- we go on several long walks together. I train her, scratch her and pet her, talk to her, play ball with her, etc.... Am I just boring since I'm around all day? Is this just primary caregiver syndrome? (I know my kids would rather spend time with Dad since they don't see him as often-- hence that mysterious 'cool' factor.) Should I be doing something else with my Doodle? HELP!
I bet what's happening is like what happens with a child - they want what they don't have. Maybe she is so used to you being around that her excitement is for the ones she doesn't see? I wouldn't really worry about it...one thing you could try is not paying her too much attention and have her work a bit for it...that may help her want it more.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Welcome! I wonder if this has something to do with your pup identifying with you as the Alpha? Dante is very much like this with me but I am the one who does all of his training and am quick to give a command if he is not being appropriate. My husband and kids on the other hand just spoil him so he sees them as playmates. Although Dante is always so very happy to see my husband - I am the one he will stick with. Last night I fell asleep on the couch and rather than going up to bed with my husband he stayed on the floor by the couch all night.

Heather

G

·
Bella loves, loves loves everyone, especially Daddy.
We came home on Sunday and I tried my darndest to lure her away from her Daddy...she would stop, look and then go back to pouncing and bouncing on him. (I won't let her jump on me!)
The good thing is that I know I have a great case for a 2nd doodle (that will be mine) when I am ready because Bella is definitely a Daddy's girl :lol:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hello there!

Our Sam is a rescue and he loves everyone in the family except Dad!
I'm sure your pup will warm up to ya. Just keep giving him attention and doing things for him (food, walks, etc.) I guess.

At least your doodle doesn't growl and bark at you like my Daddy experiences EVERYDAY!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi, and welcome. My Samantha seems to get way more excited over company or new people we run into on a walk than she does over me. When I come home from work she is real excoted to see me but she sees me as the packleader I think (hope) and so I am sure thats why, she is seeing sll others as a playmate or a toy.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Welcome to Doodleland
Denver gets very excited and happy to see me when
I come home from work. For my daughter and husband
he is a little less excited................but if any friends of any of us come over, Denver acts like its the second coming so i would not worry if I were you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it is absolutely that you spend all day at home with the pup. You are with him/her all day, while the others only get to spend time with the pup after work/school.

Scout is slightly the same. My partner gets a huge crazy greeting upon getting home, while my is a little more subdued. But when everything has calmed down, it is me that Scout follows around and spends all her time with.

I really wouldn't worry too much. I assure you your puppy loves you, and as you spend much more time with him/her, i would say it loves you more than the others.

A day or two away will confirm this in my opinion.

Hope that eases some concerns...

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
blueteal said:
Welcome to Doodleland
Denver gets very excited and happy to see me when
I come home from work. For my daughter and husband
he is a little less excited................but if any friends of any of us come over, Denver acts like its the second coming so i would not worry if I were you.
Cacao is that way too. When I get home she is VERY excited but no so with the rest of the family. But I am home all day other then to run out to take the kids to the YMCA. But I bet with some time she will. Just play with her when you can and let her warm up to you. Don't make it happen.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Cali has always been just like that. It's like she tolerates me, the trainer and provider. She loves playing with her litter mates, my husband and my son who don't train, feed or walk her. She's always gently nipping and nuzzling at them to play. It is disappointing to be doing all the hard work and not get much in the way of cuddles. She gets so excited to meet people on our walks, especially children. Her whole back end is wagging. If only I could get such excitement and adoration. She is a very calm dog, so I think that is part of it. I have accepted that that is her personality and that she does love me, she just shows it in subtle ways of always being in the same room as I am and if I "disappear" she comes and finds me. The more I try to approach and pat her, the more she pulls back. But if I make a game, she is curious and comes to me. Sorry so long.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I too stay at home most of the time and if I go on trips, she comes along. I find that the only time I get "wiggle butt" is if hubby is with me. She will give me WB if I'm late getting up in the morning, but I'm sure that's because she knows food is involved. :lol:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had to laugh when I read this - I was just saying the same thing yesterday!! My puppy is totally devoted to my boyfriend -- she just goes crazy when he comes home -- she once fell over backwards because she was leaping so enthusiastically! He is away one night a week and this morning she kept staring at the bedroom door, like, where is he? why is he not here to play with me? And I was right there! Welll... hopefully that will even out with time, but I know exactly how you feel!!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hi and Welcome! Is this your first dog? Have you trained any dogs in the past? If training are you using positive reinforcement? Treats? If you can provide some background perhaps I can help :) Meanwhile try and avoid corrections of bad behavior and just reward good behavior. Sometimes I forget and have to change my tone of voice in mid sentence to avoid instilling fear instead of confidence :wink: Abby shows much more affection to my wife than I. She rarely gives me kisses YET my wife gets excessive attention and kisses. I do not take it personally as she is my shadow most of the time!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the welcome, and all the responses!

Holly is the FIRST dog I have ever had (not counting a springer spaniel my family had when I was three years old-- who had to go live with my grandparents after I was diagnosed with asthma. :( ) I've always wanted one but for the longest time was afraid my allergies would not permit a dog. Luckily the F1b doodle seems to be OK with me!!

As for training-- I have read lots of books and consulted with my vet, and my sister (who was a vet tech and now runs a petsitting business-- she's quite an expert!) I am completely ignorant when it comes to dogs, but I am learning!

I use only positive methods with Holly-- praise, treats, etc. The only time I do anything negative is when she is nipping too much at me or the kids-- I will say "no" in a low growly voice, then ignore her for 30 seconds or so. I would never hit her or anything like that! But I am definitely the chief disciplinarian in the family-- the kids and my husband are more likely to play with her and get her all riled up and crazy. :)

Don't get me wrong, I know Holly loves me-- I just wish I got a little more enthusiasm! In the evenings she will curl up beside me where she knows she will get scratched and rubbed. I guess I should be happy she likes people so much-- really, she loves everything and everybody, loves all dogs, plays nicely with my sister's 8 lb poodle and my brother's 80 lb lab, and would even be best buddies with our cat if the cat weren't trying to scratch Holly's poor little nose all the time!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
the kids and my husband are more likely to play with her and get her all riled up and crazy

KOOL :D You just explained it! She knows she has different boundaries with you :idea: and she's respecting them :wink: Sounds like a VERY SMART DOG! Which means you are going to have to stay just a little smarter :wink: When you teach 'leave it' you can use that command when she mouths 'anything' including you,the kids or food. Ask yourself what you want your dog to do instead of biting and train her to do that. Example: put a treat in your hand so the dog sees it and close your fist. If the dog bites remove your hand if the dog licks open it and give the treat. You will teach her that biting gets nothing and licking gets treats in a hurry. Then have the kids do the same...VOILA!
Queen of the Licking Dogs!!! She immediately begins to lick instead of bite. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is a GREAT idea, mtd!! I will try that right now! She will do anything for treats! It's amazing how fast she catches on. I taught her to go to her bed by saying 'bed' and pointing, taking her to the bed, then giving her a treat. After doing this twice I said 'bed' and she went right to it. SHe is amazingly smart.

And now Holly's behavior with me is starting to make sense...I am the no-nonsense 'mommy dog' I guess. She certainly does not nip me the way she does the kids-- and she nips my 7 year old daughter more than she does my 10 year old son (my son is pretty good at training Holly and taking her for walks and getting her behave nicely on the leash.) So she know what she can and can't get away with, and with whom, just as you said.

Pretty smart for an 18 week old puppy!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
jacquie your dog sounds like Samantha's twin. Sam is so good at knowing her boundaries. Lmao

1 - 19 of 19 Posts