Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, my appaloosa horse had an accident and flipped over and fractured her skull, it was a very bad wreck. Paralysis on the leftside of her face and lower lips just dangled, after 5 days andmuch improvement, we had to put her down.

When we got home from the large animal vet, my Digby who is always a happy little guy (hyper) was very calm and actually subdued. I took him out and he wouldn't leave my side. The next morning he jumps on the bed (try an 70 pds doodle trying to be quiet) and he laid down next to me at put his head on my pillow and just looked at me.

As the days have passed I am just so mentally exhausted he comes over and rests his head on my lap and looks up at me and almost like he wants to talk but just whines. We think he would sound like Michael J. Fox the actor if he did. Like the Shaggydog (what is going through his head- my husband said "static" like on the TV) Nothing like a Doodle face to cheer you up!

I am so thankful for my Digby!!

Someday I will figure on how to post a picture, I have tried with no luck :x

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am soooo sorry about your horse! Oh, how sad and painful for you.
I am certain that Digby knows your feelings, they are so tuned in to us...bless his little heart...he is determined to be your personal guardian angel right now. Very sweet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your horse, I am sure you Dood was mourning with you. However I like you had trouble posting photos. I went to tripod.com and created a web page and now I have it attached to my photo. It actually worked great and I can update the photos anytime I want. Besides that it's free.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm so sorry about your horse. I had a horse that I tied to a trailer, and she spooked and pulled back. The snap on the lead rope finally broke and she went straight backwards. She broke her withers and hit her head on the cement. I stood there and watched the whole thing- it was just terrible. It is one of those accidents that you never think will happen. I'm so sorry for your loss, and I'm glad you have your doodle to console you. Take care

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I think Digby did know you needed him for comfort. When our friend's daughter was coming home from college over Thanksgiving she fell asleep at the wheel and rolled her car. She was banged up and bruise but luckily not seriously injured. When she came to our house Chester sat next to her and either put his head in her lap or was touching her somehow the entire time. Like he knew she was hurt and he wanted to comfort her. It was very sweet.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
wow what an awful accident with your horse!
I'm so very sorry.... I guess you can probably relate to how Michael Matz, trainer of Barbaro feels these days. I can't really imagine yet our whole family is following the sad story of Barbaro this week.

I think some dogs are more intuitive than others and I'm thrilled for you that your Digby is one of those boys who wants you to have his comfort.

Thanks for sharing both parts of your life. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your kind words.

I never thought that he would miss "Checks". Digby (doodle) would come out with me to the barn to do night check and he would play with the mare and she would put her head down and he would try to nip at her and she would pull her head up fast and it was a cute game they played. I also have a miniature horse and Digby tries to play that with the mini "Cheyenne" but he just looks at him as to what is this dog doing. The mini is only 36 inches tall and it is cute to watch them.

Thanks again!!

Chris

I will try the tripod.com thing for pictures!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts