Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me thank everyone for sharing your knowledge on this board. I am new here and have learned a lot! My Rudy is 2 yrs. old (going on 6 months) and the most wonderful labradoodle and very smart but we're running into a particular behavior trait that concerns me. When he decides he doesn't want to "come" when called, he doesn't (this isn't a new thing). He takes off into the wild blue yonder and we have to track him down. We live in a relatively rural area but there are cars that go by. He knows what "come" means because he does it over and over. (We often take him to a nearby field to run and romp). He usually winds up about 1/4 mile away where there are 2 dogs and they play. Sometimes, he'll come right back to us and sometimes it's a "catch me if you can" routine. We also have to be very careful going in and out of the house because if he slips out, he's off and running and no amount of "come" will deter him from his mission. He gets plenty of love, attention and exersize and is well rewarded every time he comes on call. Sometimes, he will stop and look at us when we call "come" and then, off he goes (this is after obeying on command half a dozen times). I know this isn't just a labradoodle problem but I need some advice . I do not want him to run into a speeding car, skunk, porkupine, predator or dog thief while he's on his rounds (we do go after him immediately). He is not neutered because we were going to breed him but have decided not breed and plan to have him neutered soon. Thank you so much for any tips. By the way, I have to chuckle at some of the posters and their feelings of being overwhelmed over their pups antics. Oh, I know it's not funny and I'm not diminishing those concerns...been there, done that. But what a gem of a dog they will find as each dog matures through the various stages of puppydom!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi and welcome.

I am no expert, but I think I've heard that an unneutered dog may wanter to try to find a female in heat...could be totally wrong about this though.

Hopefully others will have good advice for you.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I hope somebody has some advice for you because we have the same problem. Charlie is younger and he has "selective" obedience. I've been trying to be more forceful/dominant in the small things so that he understands that I am the boss. I'm not sure what more I can do.

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi Deb,

Charlie is under a year, right? If so, the bad behavior is pretty common - 8-12 mos (and sometimes older) is adolescence. Dex still has selective listening (Kirby a bit too) and he's 15 mos :shock:

It's important to remind them of how to behave (like repeating training you did when he was younger).

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
Hi and welcome.

I am no expert, but I think I've heard that an unneutered dog may wanter to try to find a female in heat...could be totally wrong about this though.

Hopefully others will have good advice for you.
Not wrong very true.........
I think that this is one of the very hardest commands to teach
"Come when Called"
for this reason I learned to use a different word and the word I use is "Bye Bye" Denver will turn in midstep and return to me with this word
and here is the reason.

One day at the school/park where we romp everyday I noticed that he
was getting a little slack on returning to me when called so I hid behind
part of the building when he got out of my sight and watched when
he came to see where I was, the panic in his face was frightening
and I jumped out so he could see me and he came running.
Since then when I wanted him to come I started off running in the different direction and saying bye bye Denver and he would run back to me. After doing this running in different direction thing over and over
he got it and now I just say bye bye Denver and he knows Mom could dissappear so he does not hesitate and runs back to me everytime.
Case in point, there is a doberman who comes there once in a while
and is not very well trained or friendly. Denver started to bolt towards the dog and I yelled bye bye Denver and he literally stopped in his tracks
and turned around, and raced back to me. Do I trust it 100 percent? of course not and the day I do think that he would never do something dangerous is the day that I have to rethink my training methods and not his. I am also not advocating scarying your dog but i felt Denver needed to learn this lesson, and it was painful to see the fear on his face but he is safer now than he was without the lesson. This area where I train is fenced on three sides and all my training off leash is done where he cannot run out onto the road . Back to basic training, maybe use a long leash and let him get to the end of it and call him back with whatever word is going to work for you and be consistent over and over again,
It is not easy but so worth it to make your dog safe if you want them
to be off leash..........
Sorry for the book :wink: :roll: :wink:

PS neuturing will make the world of difference!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Roodle and welcome to the forum!! I whole heartedly agree with Sue about the command for them to come. I just completed my first obedience training class with Cooper and still work with him everyday. He's now 5 months old. The trainer suggested a different word than "come." They tend to associate it with things like having to go inside, go to the kennel, etc. You'll find a phrase that works best for you. (I love the bye-bye as Cooper never wants to be left out of ANYTHING that's going on in our house!) At first I treated him when he'd come when I used the bye-bye phrase, then just phased it out. Good luck, because it is one of the hardest things to get them to do.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm having the same issue with 6-month-old Chouette. Our trainer just told me to work with her some more, and I've also been told that unless the recall is instantaneous each time she shouldn't be offlead at all. But that's very difficult to keep up around here.

I finally posted the question on the My Smart Puppy board, led by Brian Kilcommon and Sarah Wilson who write dogtraining books, and got some good advice

http://familydog.yuku.com/topic/5770/master/1/

Sarah Wilson also referred me to a podcast she'd just aired on coming when called, which was also helpful. That's at the end of the thread.

I got a 30' long light line as they suggested and use it for Chouette when we're going for walks or wandering around outside, and when it's on I don't call her unless I can grab it. The only problem with it is that it tangles if you don't put it away just right, but I think it will help. Meanwhile she's only not come instantly once in the last couple of weeks.

Remembering your experience, Sue, I've tried hiding behind a tree when she gets too far away on our walks. Little devil always finds me! No fear there!

Maybe your doodle needs to get a super delicious treat for awhile for good "comes." I agree that this problem can be really scary.

Leslie

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yes, Leslie, Charlie is only 8 months. I am hoping he outgrows some of his rebelliousness.

I have to agree Come is a very hard command. At home, in a confined area, I have to stare Charlie down. I'll repeat the command and hold eye contact until he sheepishly responds.

But I have to tell you there is one worse. It is DROP! If he has something he shouldn't and knows it, he wants to be chased and he sure does not give it up easy.

ETA, I just read the link the other Leslie posted and found it really helpful. Thanks!

Deb

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone!

All of your suggestions are excellent! I especially like the idea of using a different word for "come" when he is not going back in the house, on leash, etc. It just makes so much sense...Rudy and I will be playing hide and seek, for sure now! He is pretty much over his 'selective obedience' but I can tell he is sometimes struggling with himself to obey. H'e so incredibly happy when someone visits and just wants to devour their attention and get right into (or should I say UP to) their face. I can see that he wants to smother them while he knows he must remain calm. We're also working on his thieving tendencies. He will take and move anything he can, be it pop cans, firewood, shoes, socks, his food bowl, the cats food bowl (lol)...whatever. He doesn't chew them up, just moves them. I'm always looking for my other shoe. One time I found a pair of underwear on the deck...needless to say, the laundry basket is put in a safer location! I agree that neutering will probably have a hand in keeping him from wandering. Are there any negatives to having him neutered at two years rather than as a young pup?

When I have the capabilities to post a pic, I will. He looks very much like Leslies light colored doodle. (I assume these ARE photos of your dogs?).

Thank you all so much!

Rosanna

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Welcome to Doodleland Rosanna
(I forgot to say that earlier.)
I cannot see any problems with the neuter at that age but
your vet will tell you more if there is.
Cannot wait to see pictures of your baby!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We had Kirby neutered at 13 mos and he was fine. It didn't take him any longer to recover than Dexter (at 5 mos). I think the only "risk" with a late neuter is that he will have matured already and may keep some of the more male behaviors such as marking.

I can't wait to see his photo :)

P.S. Yes - the small photos are of our dogs. They're called avitars. If you do a search on the board you will find directions for adding them. If you have trouble let me (or Gene) know.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI Roodle and welcome!!!! nice to meet you!!

I do the same as SUE aka blueteal

i say BYE BYE and walk the other way like i am not concerned at all if they follow me, USUALLY THEY come running right away.

there is only one other thing ihave to say: You want to eat? hahahha
Both max and peanut come running

when they were younger i would have a treat stashed in my pocket and they could smell it but not have it till we were back inside
next step was the BYE BYE ...it works

lastly, a few times it didn't so i went in the house and closed the door
when they came back a few minutes later I stood at the storm door eating a BIG piece of cheese making yummy sounds hahhaa
and then closed the door again :shock:
about 30 seconds later ...i opened the door and they came in looking for cheese. hahhahaaa

moral: if ya snooze ya lose ...i think they understand this because 98% of the time they come running now

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome Rosanna and Rudy :) I can't ad much more advise than you've already been given except to always end a training session with a positive note such as, you never want to say come and then go immediately inside or he will associate "come" or whatever call word you use, with the fun being over.

I would definately get Rudy neutered ASAP, the sooner the better. It is healthier for him and you will also see a big difference in his behaviour. An intact male can be very hard headed, will have a tendency to wonder and is more apt to mark his territory. They also want to fight other intact males.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
River Rat said:
[quote="annabelles mom":2asjgj7i]Welcome

I'm afraid I can't help, I never let my dogs run, we have a fenced yard for playtime
But even if you have a fenced yard for playtime, Annabelle still has to come when you call her to go back inside, no? Or does she go in and out at will?

Leslie[/quote:2asjgj7i]

Annabelle has a doggie door and comes and goes when she wants, unless it's raining, I will sometimes block the door.

If I want her to come in - I usually just yell "hey" or "let's go"

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Leslie it is very nice, we got the doggie door when we got Heidi & Molly our 2 labs before Annabelle - they were constantly wanting in and out at different times so the doggie door was installed and it's been great - All the dogs we babysit are taught how to use it on first visit and always remember it when they return :wink:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
River Rat said:
Only works if you have a fenced in yard, though, which we don't. Chouette would love that!

How is Annabelle if she's away from that area and you need her to come? Is she good about it?
Our backyard is all fenced, prob about 1/4 acre or a little more - if she is out of that area, like to go get the mail or paper she is on a leash. We do open Van door when we get home and let her run from the Van to the garage, about 30 ft and she is fine. Once or twice she has disregarded me when she saw John (next door) and went across front yard to him but came when I called her but 99% of time when we get out of Van I say inside and she just runs into the garage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts