Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadie has developed a new game where she steals mitts, boots, hats, socks, shoes, anything she can grab with her mouth and runs away with them. I have tried teaching her to drop it, or give, but she thinks it's a game and refuses to give. You can actually see the glint in her eye as she waits for you to chase her. And if you don't chase her, she will parade back and forth in front of you with the object in her mouth to get some attention. She will drop it and come if you call her with a treat in your hand, but that's the only way to get her to do it. I think I am reinforcing the behaviour by ending it with a treat.

What to do?

· Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lisa and Jac! I really appreciate your help. All of the people on this forum are so postitive and so giving of their time and expertise.

How do I teach her to leave it or drop it? That is what has me stumped.

Because we don't have a fenced yard she is indoors most of the time, except when we take her out for walks. And with 4 kids in the house, there is usually lots of stuff within her reach to tempt her - boots, mitts, shoes, etc. She even sticks her nose into laundry baskets and chooses a nice stinky sock once in a while. I think she does it because she is bored and wants to stir up a little action. We really try not to make a big deal out of it, but I don't want her to pick up something harmful, or something valuable that she could destroy. She doesn't chew the item, just carries it around in her mouth to tease us and get us to chase her. She is a smart girl that is for sure.

Any advice on how to teach the leave it and drop it commands would be much appreciated!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.