Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Everyone. This is my first post, even though I've been lurking for awhile and I've had dozens of questions since bringing my dog home. I'm finally asking a question, after having my cinnamon rolls stolen right from under my nose.

How do I train my pooch to stay away from our food?? Molly is our 5-month old that we've had for about two months. She will not leave us alone when we eat, and will steal food off my childrens' plates any chance she gets. I hate to keep her away at every meal time, and would like to eventually have a dog that will ignore us as we eat. (Is that possible?) Twelve years ago, with my first dog (not a doodle), her vet told me not to make eye contact with her as I ate, ha ha. Well, I didn't, and she left me alone. I had no idea how lucky I was! Molly, on the other hand, does not care who or what I'm looking at-- she puts her paws up on the table and tries to get my plate, she circles the table endlessly looking for a place to scooch in, she gets under the table and sniffs around for crumbs. My husband is at his wit's end, and is at the point where he just throws her in the laundry room at meal time. Does anyone have suggestions?

We know this is just instinct for her, and that the mother would never correct this behavior in her puppies, but if anyone has any tried and true methods for me, please let me know. I would be forever grateful.

And if you can tell me where and how to post a picture, I'd love to do that, as well. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Erika, I think training Molly for down stay may help, but until then putting her in a separate area during mealtime will be the easiest. We used Lani and Toby's crates during meals a couple of times but it isn't an issue now. Toby does counter surf for other things and food if out when he is unattended he is 10 months. Hopefully someone else can give you more suggestions. Good luck. I can help with posting photos though!

To post photos you need to upload photos to a site such as photobucket. I couldn't get shutterfly to work, photobucket just seems to be the easiest. You need 2 two browser windows open, one for the forum and one for your photobucket album. If you just click on the IMG line it will highlight, go up to the edit menu and click on copy. then go to the forum window and open your posting, go up to the edit menu and click on paste and the image address should show up. Click on the quote button on this posting and you will see the address of photo shown here.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
With Jonah, also 10+ months, if people are over, he goes in his kennel during meals> when it is just me, it's more a round of "sit, off, uhuh, and NO!". It takes him a while each time, then he gives up. I find that tossing a favorite toy or other distraction helps. He is still persistent at times, but getting better.

Welcome aboard to the land of doodleholics, we'll be expecting pictures soon! :lol:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :D

We also put Doc in the laundry room while we ate until he was closer to a year old. Then we put him in a "down, stay" near the table. I think that worked only because we had been practicing "down, stay" several months in other parts of the house as part of his obedience training. If you haven't been taking your pup to obedience classes, I would highly recommend that. I think the mother of older puppies would definitely discipline her pups for coming near her food when she was eating. In the dog world, the alpha dog eats first and the others wouldn't dare come near. Some dogs just require more training. I've had dogs like your first dog, too, that were just easy and submissive, but Doc has taken alot of training and consistency.

Glad you joined us and would love to see a picture of your pup. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi and welcome,
Daisy tried the begging thing too. At first we gave her no eye contact and no attention during meal times. She did persist so we would put her in her crate. (Right in the kitchen). She learned very quickly, I would say in less than a week. Now she just lays next to the table at meal time. However, once dinner is done, she is counter and table surfing looking to "clean up" :twisted: I quess we need to work on that one too. She also counter surfs constantly, so I would like some suggestions for that too :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Welcome to Doodleland:
We taught Denver to "go to his mat" during meal times
This is just a spot that you want them to lie down on while you are eating. In the beginning we would take him to the spot and teach lie down and we did give a longer lasting treat at this time. Now we can just point to the spot and he goes. This took training, training ,training. Actually about 6 weeks of constant "go to your mat" command. But it has paid off big time.
Good luck and looking forward to pictures. :wink:

·
Registered
260 Posts
our puppy kindergarden teacher recommended the "step on the leash" technique. whenever we were sitting down to eat a meal, either at home or some outdoor cafe, my fiance put kumo into a down and then stepped on the leash with his foot close enough to the collar that kumo could move his head around but not stand up.

we did this *every single time* we ate a meal. sometimes if kumo tried to get up, my fiance had to put more pressure on the leash and correct him. other times we even wrapped the leash around the foot to be extra sure it didn't slip (nylon leashes are more slippery than leather ones). the nice thing about stepping on the leash is that there's physical feedback when the dog starts to move, both for the dog (it's harder to get up) AND the person who is supposed to be paying attention in order to be ready to correct the dog (the leash starts moving).

before long kumo developed the habit of just laying down on the floor nearby when we ate. we often eat at the coffee table in front of the tv, which means the food is at perfect kumo-height, but he never goes after it.

-em

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
we use "out" and "go lay down"

at the dining table the dogs know better
but occasionally if we are snacking in the living room they can be a little pesty.

I like the above step on leash idea, I am also a proponent of mouse traps and electric collar (takes about once)

Just try a few things one will work and you will all be happy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, again, and thanks to everyone who replied. The advice was good, and I will definitely try some of the suggestions. A mouse trap?? A mouse trap! I never would have thought of it. I'm sure my husband will find that one the most appealing. I'll probably start with the leash, and see if that helps.

I wouldn't call what Molly does "begging." She is not so kind enough as to beg. She simply steals. And she is VERY persistent. Mealtimes consist of constant corrections. Conversation is a thing of the past! When my husband and I are at the table, she's a little bit slower to approach, but we spend the entire time saying NO, OFF, SIT, or whatever, and it becomes very stressful for all of us. If the kids are eating, she has no qualms about getting right up there and taking what she wants. The frustration is endless. We put her in the laundry room whenever we eat now, but I feel (felt?) bad doing so. I thought it would be easier to train her. <sigh>

And yes, she is in obedience class now. She's very bright (of course, ha ha. Aren't they all?) and knows several commands already. We've been working on her sit-stays and down-stays, and she's fine for short periods, but seems to find the idea of us eating without her unthinkable. Oh, well. We'll get there (or she'll continue to spend time in the laundry room)! Thank you again to everyone. I appreciate it, and will let you know how she progresses.

I'm attaching a picture of the culprit. Hope it works.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
What a doll baby :) Just beautiful :) We always crate our dogs during mealtime until they learn to stay out of the kitchen while we are eating.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Molly is beautiful and that makes it even harder! As everyone says consistency is the key. Easy advice given, hard to do, especially with those doodle eyes!! :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Molly and Mouse Traps

Thanks to everyone for the kind words about Molly. She's a cutie-pie, I agree. javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

I wanted to give a quick update on her thievery. I happened to be in Wal-mart the other day getting some air freshener (it's been raining here for days now, and the house smells like wet dog regardless of what we do to get rid of the smell). In any case, just across the aisle I happened to spot the dreaded mouse traps. No lie! So I caved, and bought two friendlier-looking traps.

I sat all three of my kids down at the table and showed them how the traps worked, and told them not to stick their fingers in or anywhere near them. And then I set them up for Molly, who was obviously eavesdropping on the lesson. She somehow figured them out, and isn't the least bit afraid of them! She even got her nose AND a paw stuck in them. Initially, I thought all I'd done was train her to bark madly at the counters, but after a few tries, she figured out how to get it to "catch", and has since treated them as new chew toys.

<sigh>

G

·
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Great story! She figured if you are showing the to your children then there is nothing to be afraid of :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts