Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what happened to our dark chocolate doodle puppy? she (now 11 months) has turned silver! she also has dark chocolate "boot" on her legs at her feet, and a blonde and chocolate face and ears. is this normal. is this silvering or blueing. curious from alaska,
tina carlisle and raleigh

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been told that it is common for a chocolate doodle puppy to actuallly be cafe au lait. True chocolates are extremely dark at birth with no white fur in between their toes. If there is any white between their toes they may end up silvering. The more white, the more they will turn.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yes, all dogs can be born with a dilute gene which causes them to lighten in various ways. But a Blue dog is rare and is called "blue" because its coat is almost bluish black and even the skin tone takes on a blue tint...so, your dog could be "silvering" but I am not too knowlegable about the genetics of color. There are lots of web sites that explain it, here is one: http://www.canine-genetics.com/pdlcolor.html

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Tina and Jorja: I don't know if it's "silvering" or not, but I have just posted new photos of my two choloclate f1's to my gallery, below. They are definitely getting amazing blonde hightlights, particularly Gracie, with the "saddle" markings you describe as well. I don't know where, but I read someplace that chocolates are really prone to sun bleaching, which makes some sense....If you look back at George and Gracie's earlier photos you can see that the blonding has corresponded to our sunny weather.....BUT, it's definitely in a distinct, symmetrical pattern and so it can't be completely that. It'll be interesting to see if they go chocolate again with our long gray winter.... I just think they're gorgeous any way you slice it. Not prejudiced, or anything.....!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Lisa, they are really pretty! And they look so much alike! Other than the obvious male/female thing...do you ever have trouble telling them apart?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Lisa, I have a feeling that my Jorja will look a lot like your two except a smaller version. We have long and gray winters here on the western side of Washington too. San Juan is so beautiful. I have a good friend that lives on Orcas Island.

Marty

·
Registered
6 Posts
From reading the posted messages, I'm realizing that my black doodle doesn't just have sefveral curious white hairs, but that he's "silvering"! Does this mean that he will change color entirely or that he will be salt & peppered? Thanks in advance for the answer!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi tknbs! Welcome...
How old is your puppy? What did the parentsl look like?
There is a good chance the puppy is silvering...there are several pictures of silver dogs on this forum (that started out black)...my Lexie, my Bayley and Suzie's Abbie...to name a few...and then there is Maureen's Sterling who is totally silver!
It is a gradual process, but usually begins around the nose area...but the silver "ticking" in the back that you describe indicate the possibility too.
We'd love to see a picture! (We could tell you quite a bit more by a picture, if you have one, too.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Jacque for the quick, informative response! Our doodle, Ciri, is 8 months old and he has white hairs here and there on his body and chest. I don't see any on his face, like your beautiful doodles have (I checked your website). So I look forward to seeing the final outcome!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You are welcome!
Thanks for the nice compliments about my dogs...I love the silvering too.
You know, it is just so hard to tell about these coloring issues...genetics is such a complicated issue and I am always wondering what is going to happen, but with Labradoodles and Goldendoodles, we are getting some interesting (and very nice) coats from the Poodle side. (In the Poodle world, some of the colors are a fault, but with Doods, all of the variances are embraced and appreciated!)
Labs, as far as I know, have pretty consistent coloring...it is the Poodle that brings in the variety, I believe.
The ticking on your pup's back may just remain as ticking...but I don't know...they say that it takes 3 years for the silvering process to complete and my girls continue to get lighter still.
Thanks for checking out my web page!
Where are you from? Sure hope you continue to join in the forum posts!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks Jac for the compliment! (I've been off to the mainland today and have just gotten off the ferry so I'm late it responding..) Yes, we often can't tell them apart. But Grace has a curled tail with lots of fanning "feathers." George is has a more sedate sabre-like tail, so it's actually easier to tell them apart from a distance. We've always had a green collar on George and a purple one on Gracie. But I still get them confused sometimes....until I scratch their tummies! lol

Hey Marty, we're practically neighbors! There are only a couple of doods that we know of in the islands. Maybe you can get your Orcas friend to get a dood and then we can have a romp right here on our farm.

I never cease to be amazed by how doodles bring people together.

With all this "silvering" talk, I'm starting to wonder if George and Grace are really "cafe au lait." I had no idea, Jac, that it could be three years before they get "done." I guess it makes sense, though.... all MY hair turned "silver" in the last three years and I'm better-lookin' than ever! HA HA

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi Lisa, yep we are pretty close. My friend on Orcas Island has outside dogs and not sure she would want to get a doodle but you never know.
I would imagine it's a big hassle to go to the mainland, especially in the summer. But you sure do live in paradise!

Jorja is right now 17.5 lbs. She will be 5 months old at the end of this month. I'm expecting her to get around 25 lbs. but expecting and what she turns out to be may be totally different. I'll love her no matter what size or color she ends up being. :lol:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I know what you mean, Marty, about loving them no matter what. My doods seem just right to me now. Going to the mainland IS a hassle, but in a weird way, like going to Disneyland is a hassle and it's also fun. HOWEVER, you wouldn't want to live there! Just kidding.... I HAVE to hit Costco and Home Depot every so often, but then the traffic makes me crazy. We DO think we live in paradise and are grateful every single day for the opportunity.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Lisa...sounds like you live in a little spot of heaven! Wow...impressive!

Let's see, 3 human years in dog years is what? 21? See? You can still be young and grey at the same time! :wink:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Good Morning,

We have a 5 month old chocolate doodle, Lani, who is slowly changing to cafe au lait. Her muzzle has turned very blond in areas, kind of highliting around her nose, bottom lip and eyes, the rest of her looks milk chocolate and white hairs everywhere. We met Ripley, 6 months old, over the weekend at the Chicago area doodle romp and she looks like the description given of a chocolate doodle on the ILA site. She is beautiful almost looks mahagony in color. :D Here is how they look side by side.

Lani and Ripley

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am thinking Murph will turn pretty silver as he goes along. Has anybody seen what usually happens with a wite chest patch? I haven't seen too many other photos of Doods with that. Lisa I am thinking he is on the way to looking alot like your George and Gracie. They are beautiful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Chocolate doods

Aren't you nice, Lisa. I've been telling my husband all about the doodle romp last weekend and how cute Lani is with her very cool lighter streaks. And about Ozzie, and Chester, and Riley and the whole crew! Needless to say, he's definitely making the next romp.

Ripley has the odd white hair here and there from her white standard poodle dad (mom was chocolate lab) so I'm not sure what color we'll have a year from now. She seems a little lighter around the muzzle from being in the sun more and the puppy coat has begun to blow so we'll see what comes in next.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts