Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I promise faithfully to dig the camera out of the moving boxes today. But I had to tell about Dex's first swim. We went down to the riverfront the other day. Of course, Ken (our neighbor) saw us and here comes Pork Chop for a romp. They played and played. Pork Chop is a retriever and he would happily jump in the water for a stick. Dex would follow, til the water was up to his chest, then put on the breaks. Fortunately, the river at our house is very shallow for a very long ways and nice mud/sand bottom, gradual slope, no current near the bank. But nothing doing, no amount of coaxing would get Dexter in over his chest. So Pork Chop went home after their romp and we stayed. Kevin decided he was going in and getting Dexter in. So he kicks off his shoes and wades out to where it's just shallow enough for Dex to walk. Dex would take a few hops and put on the breaks. Then back to shore. Each time, Kevin would go out a little farther. Then it happened. Dex couldn't stand it anymore and he jumped into Kevin's arms. So Kevin cradled him and held him up in the swimming position. He said Dex's little legs were just a'churnin, so he slowly removed his arms and viola! Dex was swimming! I wish you could have seen his eyes! He had this look like, hey, what am I doing? I'm swimming!!!!! After that, he was back and forth like a little furry submarine. Just wait, next time Pork Chop thinks the stick is his cause Dex won't swim, he has another thought comin!

Had to edit to say: I made the two of them lay in the hammock til Dex dried a bit, then it was off to the bathtub for my little submarine. When they finished, I had an inch of grit in my tub, but a tired and clean doodle!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh that's the cutest story. Swimming does tire them out a lot. I love watching Dexter's legs churning under the water in our pool - it's so cute. I'm glad your Dexter had fun :)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Same here - big grin as I read the story. I wish I could have seen a moment like that in person...

WAY TO GO, BIG GUY!!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I too love that story, the first time of anything new
is priceless and I love the expressions on their faces
Congrats on your first swim!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Way to go Dood!!!!! hahaha...I did my first big swimming on vacation with Mom,Dad and Molly at the lake...and it was lottsa fun!!! :D but they keep a 20 rope on me, cause they don't want me going out over THEIR heads....hahahaha...
Your pal,
Raleigh! :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
When our public outdoor pool closes for the summer they make the pools dog safe and have one afternoon of dog swimming. I am hoping to get Dante to the pool for his first swim next Wednesday evening. DH is out of town so I will be going with the dog and two young kids so I hope I can handle it. The pool has a gradually sloping entry and only goes to 3'6" deep so I think it will be great for Dante to learn to swim. He loves water - I just haven't had the chance to get him anywhere deep enough to swim.

Heather

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cute story nuthin lyk the first swim. When zoey was little we took her to rockie moutain park ans our bull dog wanted 2 play in the water zoey followed her in and they pounced and played. That summer we got a little pool and zoey just came running and jumped on me and we both fellin in with clothes and all :roll: just like her 2 do dat but we had fun but she almost Drowed me freaking out wen the water went up 2 her neck.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Hey Dex!! Woofs and licks to you, pal! What a guy! And that's how it happens. Happened that way for me too. Was playing chase the ball, like I always do, but this time the ball was going further and further out. Before I knew it, the ground went away and I kicked and paddled trying to find the ground until I realized, hey I'm NOT sinking! Wow it was kind of fun! Now, I can't wait to hit the water!!

Your buddy,
Dakota

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ohhhhhhhhh how sweet ...i love hearing about the 'first time' experiences thanks sooooo much for sharing a heartwarming story of Dexter :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts