Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a bit over a year now since a tumor was found in his back right foot. It over time grew until it was removed. The vet had to remove his whole foot and took it about a half inch further to make sure the infected area was gone.

Unfortunately, it grew back in the same spot with a vengeance. We have watched it grow over time, but it never seemed to damper his life. He was still the happy puppy he's always been. He would welcome a stranger with much attention if he had the chance. It is sad that it had to be him.

About a half a year later, about a week ago, his health has been on a significant decline. My family is contemplating putting him down due to quality of life. He doesn't each to much and is generally stuck in 1 room of the house. We loves his comfy spot on the couch that we allow for him now due to circumstances.

He has brought joy to everyone who he has been around and it is devistating to know he only has a few days left on this earth with us. We surround him with love as much as we can and we try to play off of his reactions. He still wags his tail and very much enjoys a nice rub down. He is typically quiet now though, not much barking, not much movement.

I am scared to give up on him. I don't want to cut his life short. But I am worried about any pain he may feel. At 8 years old he has always been in shape and healthy. This cancer has certainly turned this around. His name is Milo, he is a golden colored labradoodle. I have so many memories with him I am so afraid of what is currently going on. I have google'd some things and it brought me to this site.

I just needed to speak this somewhere..I am heartbroken. My poor pup does not deserve this. He has done nothing wrong and is a very intelligent doggy.

My younger brother and younger sister are both unaware of what will happen. But, my parents and I have discussed what's best and what's going on.

I can't imagine coming home and not seeing his bright energetic self anymore..

· Registered
935 Posts
Nova - I'm so sorry that this is happening to you guys. Milo sounds like a great dog. It is a very hard decision to make to put a dog down but you have to be strong. No animal should have to live in pain, I'm sure none of you want that. I'm sure your younger siblings will look to you for comfort so it is great that you are reaching out.

My only bit of advice is to take tons of photos of Milo. Make sure to get one of each sibling alone with the pup. Keep us posted on how things are going.

· Registered
111 Posts
Having just (4 months ago) put my 13 & 1/2 year old lab-x Elvis down due to severe arthritis, the only thing I can say is that you have to make a decision at some point. The decision is- are you keeping Milo around for his sake or your own? If his quality of life suffers badly or he gets to be in pain all the time, you need to do what's right for the dog. He would make the right decision for you- you need to do the same for him. Never feel you're giving up on him. I need to tell you that my heart is breaking for you, and I'm in tears at this point, because it's too soon after Elvis' passing to talk about this, but I felt I must. Good luck in your decisions. :-( I'm sorry you're facing this crossroad.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Moe You are so right. We took many many photos of my guy :)

@sidecar I'm sorry to hear of Elvis :( . Your explanation truly helped me. We have moved his vet appt to be put down back a day because we felt we weren't ready. That may of been a selfish act but it also helped us say goodbye and give him all his last joyful things. Such as his favorite veggies and some chicken, along with a spot to lie on the couch!

Today at 3:30 he was put down. Now at rainbow bridge along with all of our lost animals. It was surely the right time. Before anything got noticeably worse..

He was a great companion. Thanks for letting me express some feelings on here guys. I love this place and despite no longer having my labradoodle I will sure contribute to this site.

· Registered
1 Posts
About a half a year later, about a week ago, his health has been on a significant decline. My family is contemplating putting him down due to quality of life. He doesn't each to much and is generally stuck in 1 room of the house. We loves his comfy spot on the couch that we allow for him now due to circumstances.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts