Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just adopted Monte from a rescue on Saturday. He will only eat canned food. I tried wetting it but still a no go. This is my first dog so I am so lost and overwelmed. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
235 Posts
My suggestions is to get a small bag of Canidae All Life Stages dry foor and some Canidae chicken and rice canned food and mix it 3/4 dry to 1/4 can and gise that a try. DOnt forget if you do this to gradually add the canidae to whatever you have been using until weaning out your old food.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
there's definitely nothing wrong w/feeding canned (although I've heard eating dry...or at least partially dry...is good for their teeth) if you wish to do so. I can't stand the smell of canned (or the clean-up) so I refuse to give anything but dry:)

I would do as John suggested and try to make a gradual change.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Murphy went through a time where he wasn't keen on the dry so I mixed it with a couple spoons of canned and a bit of water and after awhile he was ok with just the dry. The canned does get a bit expensive, plus it's smelly so I'm very glad Murphy is done with that silliness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I went to the vet last night. I was so nervous worrying about if he would have an accident on the floor while I was there :oops: He suggested soaking the dry food in water for 20 min. the first few days, then 10 then 5 till not at all. I'll give it a wirl. That canned food sure smells nasty!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Sweet T - Monte is adorable! Congrats on your new baby!
I was just wondering what kind of canned food you are using? Right now I am mixing Tyke's canned with dry food, but I have not noticed a bad smell at all. We usually alternate between Natural Balance and Solid Gold products, and while I don't think they would make me come running to the dinner table, their smell isn't bad at all! (and we even warm it up a little!) If Monte just refuses to eat dry, maybe you could find a canned food you can both live with! Good luck!! :lol:

·
Registered
523 Posts
I mix some Trader Joes Lamb or Beef canned food with Boyd's kibbles (Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul) and a little peanut oil, microwave for 18 seconds and he loves it! The Trader Joes food doesn't have a bad smell either!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Canidae Canned chicken and rice for all life stages does not smell bad. I mix it with Canidae all life stages dry foor. 1/4 can to 3/4 dry in the morning and just dry at night. Samantha eats twice a day. After her breakfast she always gets a 1/2 yogurt 1/2 pumpkin ice cube which makes her poop a good texture for clean up and she absolutely loves the pumpkin/yogurt ice cube as a treat.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Maybe your (beautiful, new) pup doesn't like the brand of dry you are feeding...you might buy small bags of good quality food and try them to see if your do has a preference.
We feed both. We feed canned morning and night and free feed dry. We feed Canidae.
We tried, literally, hundreds of brands and Canidae is the only brand that my dogs will consistently eat. (They usually like the first day or so, but won't eat it after that.)
I feel good about feeding canned because I do not believe that kibble is a good full time diet. (These dogs were hunters...meat eaters...foragers! Would you feed your child a high quality dry food for life?)
If I only had one dog, I would cook for it...or feed raw! Seriously...but with 10 adult dogs, I would be cooking/shopping for fresh twice a day!
A word of caution here...the commercial foods that many dogs like are made with corn syrup or sugar...be sure that you are feeding a high quality food (not Kibbles 'n Bits!) and feed nothing from China...and when you switch foods, do it gradually so your pup doesn't get runny poops or vomiting.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI sweet T...you're getting good advice/info

another thing....you new doodle is also adjusting to you and your family, house, new sounds smells etc a whole new environment

and it's only been 3 days so possibly by next week he also might entertain the idea of new food maybe even kibble when he's a bit more settled in.

I know with raising 3 doodles from small puppies when i first brought them home their eating schedule (and one day not wanting their food but the other kind i was feeding the older ones and/or going back and forth) was common while they settled in with me and my family and house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts