Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy, scratches clumps of hair out. I have him on Iams puppy food for puppys up to 50# and a food addative to prevent scratching and dry skin.
Now I am scratching my head wondering why he is scrtatching. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
163 Posts
edit**Looks like Holly beat me to it**edit

Have you had him to the vet to rule out mange? or anything else affecting his skin?
If you have, and he still scrathes, I'd switch him to an all natural food.
Something like Royal Canin, or Nutro, or what I'm not feeding Boone Canidae.
I've seen the changes in Boone since he's been on the high quality food. (p.s. anything you can buy at the grocery store isn't high quality no matter now much you see it on t.v. or your vet recommends it)
Boone doesn't scratch at his ears as much (we've had him checked for infection) he doesn't smell as bad at washroom time, and everything has firmed up nicely.
If you've ruled everything else out at the vet, I'd try the food route.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scratching Doodle

Thanks for your sugestions, we had him to the vet and he said his skin was dry and to try a food addative for dry skin but it hasn't helped.
I will try the Nutro feed right away, cant hurt anything.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nope it certainly won't hurt.
Just remember to ease him onto it. Don't make the switch right away. Just start adding some Nutro to his food a little bit at a time.
So if he usually gets 1.5 cups per meal. Give him 1 cup of his regular and .5 cups of the new stuff for a while gradually increasing the new stuff...and lowering the old stuff.
The Nutro (or any premium food) will be more expensive, and it could look shocking at the store, but do keep in mind that since it's quality ingredients you will feed less so a bag will last longer. It really will end up costing about the same amount, maybe a few bucks extra a month.
I think you'll agree that if he stops scratching it's worth every penny!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scratching Doodle

Is it that different that he might reject it and not eat it or is it a shock to his system?

·
Registered
163 Posts
He'll eat it alright! He's a puppy, he'll eat anything hahah jk
Dogs have sensitive tummies, it'll just be a shock to the stomach.
You could switch him over straight away, but it'll be a lot less messy if you do it slowly.
Even adult dogs need to be switched over slowly or they get runny poop!
Not always, but it's a precautionary thing.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
It also could be from chicken if it is in the food you were feeding a lot of dogs have allergies to chicken also but it could have been the corn like Tina said. Nutro is suppose to be a really good food. If the switch doesn't help you might look into getting him on Nu Vet Plus it is a great supplement and helps dogs with allergies and such. They only sell to breeders and vets so you have to have a code to order once you call or go to their site. www.nuvet.com or 800-474-7044 my code is 77200 we do make a little off sales I'll be upfront about that. I have all my dogs on it and have seen the results in their coats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts