Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of your with multi-doodle/dog homes how do you deal with dominance issues between your dogs? Do you let them work it out themselves or do you step in because humans are the dominant ones?

My male is slightly more dominant than my female and he is always biting her neck and will occasionally mount her.

Thanks!
Sarah

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Mounting Miko is a favorite past time at my house (with Jonah and Rumor, that is... :oops: ). I tell the boys "OFF", while Miko yawns.... :wink: The occasional dominance issues between the boys I let them work out, mostly, unless it escalates too much, then they go into a "SIT" command. It is something they need to work out mostly on their own.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Lil is diffidently the boss of the three but the issues are small she likes to keep them in line with bones and toys but we just go and take the object and either put it away or gives it to the boys and she is fine with that . Neither of the boys has a dominant bone in their body they are so submissive it is funny
We have never had any barking or growling or fighting from any of them

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we had some dominance issues when we first got Kirby...but they worked it out pretty quickly. Getting Kirby neutered seemed to help. We only intervene if it seems like it's getting out of hand. It hasn't really happened much lately. They established early that Kirby is dominant and Dex is fine with it.

Oh yeah - we do tell them "off" if they try to hump each other - it rarely happens (mostly when they're too tired and need a nap).

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
with our 3 doodles happy times are had 95% of the time
but then little Mr Raging Hormone BEAU who's intact tries to be dominant over Max every so often. Usually i let them work it out, and like Gene
if they can't they i make them both SIT and Settle

and our doodles all of them have daily humping contests :roll:
Peanut is like Miko, ignores it usually

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I think that what I've been doing is in line with what everyone else is doing. It seems like when Manchego is trying to dominate Brie it often leads to them playing and making the wookie noises at each other. Pretty comical. :lol:

Thanks again,
Sarah

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
It's so funny...we had no humping problems in months...all of a sudden Dex and Kirby are allowed to play (supervised) post surgery and we are having a hump a thon...one minute I'm telling Kirb to get off Dex and the next I'm telling Dex to get off Kirby. Kirby was humping Dexter's head before. I wonder if they're just so excited to be able to play that it's going too far? haha...it's actually pretty funny because neither of them are at all upset by all of this :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Parker has tried but Sofie is "top dog". They both hump Sofies 1st friend abby, a black lab. :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts