Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh Boy! I had a girlfriend come to the house yesterday with her 1.5 year old daughter to meet Della. Well, Lucas could not keep is mouth off of her! He wasnt biting her, just mouthing her... her arms and legs were covered in doggy saliva...she didn't seem to mind it, but obviously is not desired behavior. I have no idea what his problem was, I could not get him to stop for the life of me! We have had children over before, and he was fine, we stop and see kids on our walks, and he is fine??? Any ideas on what I can do to prevent this in the future?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
When Hershey first met Ellie (2yr old niece) we kept her on her leash the whole time (Hershey, not Ellie). Any time she did something a little out of line we picked up the leash to give her a correction. Just like any training, doodles pick this up fast. very fast she was just laying on the ground letting Ellie crawl on her and pet her without licks.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will do this for sure, may need to invite her over again, to work on some training....

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
1. how old is your doodle?

2. Keep your doodle on a leash trying to correct this behavior each time it happens

3. Also hand your doodle a toy or ball or whatever, giving your doodle something appropriate to mouth then praise your doodle

it's part training and part maturity

4. have the child just walk away, doodle mouths, doodle gets no attention

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lucas is 9 months. I will do all these things! Funny thing is, he doesn't usually do this? But yesterday, he couldn't resist tasting her, again and again and again...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe she tasted sweet? MMMMMMMM baby skin??? Who knows, but will have to work hard on keeping hiim from doing it again! Hard to be made at him, since he was so gentle about it!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
some cake in her pocket. :lol: :lol: Ditto with what everyone else has said to do try.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rosie did this a lot to Kayley when we first got her. Kayley called it "puppying". We heard lots of "Mooooom, Rosie keeps puppying me!" the first few weeks. Kayley is 5.5 and we taught her to grab her snout (not hard!) and to say firmly "no!" and to make her sit. Once we established Kayley as a "pack leader' and not a littermate it eased up. When Rosie gets excited she still mouths all of us but its never hard and we just tell her no. I put my fingers in her mouth to trigger the gag reflex a couple of times but now we just have to tell her no and to have her sit or lay down. I don't know what it is but little kids/babies and little dogs makes Rosie all excited.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe with the arrival of Della, Lucas thought the little girl was also a new puppy?

I know, I am just making excuses for my dogs bad behavior... but what can I say? I love the guy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts