Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you work on getting your pup to stop mouthing you? She doesn't bite but she mouths like when I'm sitting down. I've tried the "Ouch" really loud she'll stop but continue. I think she does it playfully but I would like it to stop. Some ideas would be great.

Thanks
Cristina

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Always

Always!! be Consistant, if she stops and then starts again say it again,,it may get a bit frustrating but doodles pickup fast,,but you must be consistant,, and not allow it at any time,,,I say ATTTTTTTTTTTTTT,,,real loud when correcting

hope this helps
Nancy

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Nancy is correct being consistent is the best, also you can take the sides of their face where there is extra hair and take it and shake NOT HARD to where it hurts look them in the eyes and say NO BITE LOUDLY or whatever your word is this might help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
THis is one of the problems I have with Max. He never does it to my husband--always to me. I have been told to just ignore and turn away and when I do that he nips me from behind. Finally our new trainer told me Max looks at me as his litter mate and that I shoud leave my arm, hand etc in his mouth and correct him with a stern "no." I must say that hurts quite a lot. That worked for a day or two, but now he tries to mouth me constantly. Needless to say I understand completely.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
oh yeah they do think you are a litter mate! if you were to see them with their brothers and sisters you would see the rough mouthy play and you would see the mom come through and growl and nip at them if they try it with her. needless to say the dont play the games with mom! my trainer had me take their mouth and pinch it and firmly say no. they can whine a bit. it stops rather quickly after a time or two of that. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I must admit she probably does think I'm a litter mate same with my daughter. My husband she fears because he has that stern voice. I've always been a pushover and when I try to be stern she just looks at me like you've got to be kidding then I giggle. I have been doing the grabbing the fur on the sides of her head. It seems to help a little. Thanks for all your advice and understanding.

Moviestar~ how do you pinch there mouth?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I can picture the look! lol I get it frequently myself as a 5"1" girl and my husband the 6' big man with stern voice! they sure do listen to him :)

I was taught to use thumb and forefinger grabbing the top roof of their mouth and squeeze.

I think there are a few other methods. there is a search function at the top of the page that you can use to look up a few other posts about this same subject. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts