Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been covered already, but what can you do/give to your doodle to keep him from getting car sick? We took Charlie on our first road trip this weekend and he got sick about 45 minutes into the ride. On the way there Friday night we got stuck in rush hour traffic, so we attributed it to the stop and go motion. But on the way home yesterday, it was smooth sailing, and he got sick about 45 minutes inth the hour and fifteen minute ride. Nerves don't appear to be the issue, he jumps right into the minivan and lies down the while time, or sits up to look out the window. In no way does he look distressed, so I think it is true motion sickness. We've taken him around town several times without a problem, it just seems about 45 minutes is all he can take.

Growing up, we had a black lab/Golden retriever mix who would get so nervous, he would throw up before we would get him out of the driveway, so I know what an anxious dog looks like. We used to take him to McDonalds down the street to get him a cup of ice cream, the thought being he would associate a car ride with getting a treat. It worked as long as we went to McDonalds, the minute we went any farther, he'd get sick. :(

·
Registered
150 Posts
How old is Charlie? My dog, Angel (7 mos.) also got sick a few times on long road trips but hasn't had an episode in over a month now. My Dalmatian was the same way when he was a pup...just took them a few longs trips to get use to it and neither dog got sick again. It wasn't stress for either dog...they love the car! I learned not to feed them before the ride :wink:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Charlie is just about 11 months. We got him from a rescue about a month ago, so we're not sure about his history with traveling. It's a learning curve with him, it's something new everyday! He's a good boy though.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
we had a poodle that got car sick. she did not outgrow it. we would make sure not to feed her the night before we were going on a trip. we also gave benedryl. she would still drool up a storm. as you didnt mention the drool I think thats a good sign. My current poodle got sick when she was younger and outgrew it! phew as we drive a lot!!! the no feeding thing worked real well for her and on a longer road trip she wouldnt eat which was fine by us. Dogs know when they need something and when they dont. I would bet you your baby outgrows this. Oh and besides papertowels a little bottle of Natures Miracle in the trunk wouldnt be a bad idea either!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Moses too outgrew his motion sickness. Now he loves to ride in the car and has done fine for 1.5 hr non-stop trips. At 4 months old, he was a sick mess any time I'd take him in the car. He was very nervous about it back then too. Now he has a fit if I DON"T take him with.

So hopefully in time!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your ideas everyone. I guess we'll give dramamine a try to start with. Hopefully it will help, and even more hopeful he'll out grow it in time.

Thanks again!
Bill

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner had major car sickness in the beginning...threw up every time :(

We used meclizine (this is the original dramamine or bonine). Now at 1 year, Tanner has outgrown his car sickness...he still drools sometimes but is 95% better.

Good luck...I don't think you will need to used the meds very long :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts