Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have started noticing that Tucker doesn't seem very interrested in his morning food, it takes him a while to eat it. Evening meal he eats as usual. This am he wouldn't eat then vomited up small amts yellow bile. He did the same thing several weeks ago and we took him to the vet. At that time, the vet thought he ate something bad, gave us some Reglan(antiemetic) and some bland food for a few days. He seemed fine after a couple days until now. I really cant find anything he might be getting into so I guess I might change his food. He has always ate the same food, Iams. I know its not the greatest but I've fed Iams to my cats for 8-9 years and they are very healthy. Anyway, any thoughts or anyone have similar problems with their doodles? Tucker is 10mos old.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Donna, It sounds like a condition that our chocolate lab KC had. It comes from having her stomach empty for too long, I can't remember the medical name, it is something like bilitis. The vet told us it is common in labs. Do you hear his stomach churnig? We could hear KC's. He told us to feed her a snack before she went down for the night, that seemed to take care of it. I hope this helps. Please let us know how things are going.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, thanks Lisa- you know I didn't hear his stomach churning this am (I was leaving for work when it all happened)but I know when this happened several weeks ago, I distinctly remember hearing his stomach gurgling-from across the room. I remember telling the vet that. I will try giving him a snack at bedtime and see if that does it. Maybe I should try that 1st before switiching foods. Thanks so much!
Donna

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Donna, I'd go back to the vet...explain that the condition is continuing...may be a blockage, may be nothing...but it's best to have your vet stay on top of it, I think.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jacque, thanks. I will call the vet and let them know as well as trying the snack thing. I worried about a blockage the 1st time he did it because i read about deepchested breeds and stomach issues. Its kinda funny because when me,my husband or my son get sick I will usually give it a few days before worrying but with Tucker I've had him to the vet several times for little things. Maybe its because he can't tell me whats wrong.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, Lisa, I had to laugh at this because sometimes I am in a hurry and skim through the posts and quickly jot my ideas down without a lot of thought...sorry...I think that your idea is a good one...and I must say that my dogs have been picky eaters for much of their lives...and with that, they get a case of the "icky" too...in fact, I usually give a dose of Pepto and they are better the next day...
But once Bayley was sick for a long time and I was so worried about her and they tested for Addisons and everything...then one day, she started eating...and now she just gets picky...she is very lean, but I don't worry any more because she is just that way, and I know that they tested her for all of the bad things so she is healthy...and now I don't have to be so worried. (Our dogs get so bad that they refuse snacks...they take them and just lie down on them!)
The upset tummy can be from so many things, I just feel good about having the vet know what is going on and what I am doing to help...
One thing that worked for me was putting my dogs on the low residue Eukanuba (sp?) and my dogs like it! I use the canned and dry because usually my dog's don't like to eat just dry. So, adding canned food helps us.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
No problem Jac! I usually am the one running to the vet, but this sounded so familiar. I just wish KC were still here having stomach problems! It has been 7 months but it still hurts. Lani and Toby do help to ease the pain!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Seven months...oh, my...it doesn't seem that long does it?

I agree, your pain will lift a bit and soon the good memories will be the ones most often thought of...still, the pain will come as a surprise visitor sometimes...that's because you loved KC so much...
Kind of like the song...The Dance :cry:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We started feeding Tucker a bedtime snack (dog biscuit) and are in the process of switching food to NutroMax. We're doing 1/2 new food, 1/2 old food and he hasn't been sick since. He still isn't as excited to eat in the mornings as he is in the evenings but overall I think he is better. We will know more once the Iams runs out and he is only on the NutroMax. This is Tucker after burying his bone in my flower garden..... :lol:
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i38/B ... 000266.jpg

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA!! I love this picture!

How great that you posted a picture of a dirty doodle! Most of us try to find the "perfect" pose or the most adorable, innocent look...and you were able to get both...with a natural and oh-so-cute picture! Thanks!

Tucker is a doll!!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Glad to see you posting here Donna :) It just dawned on me that Tucker is from my kennels. I'm a little slow sometimes :roll: Even with a dirty face, Tucker is gorgeous :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Diane, He's such a great dog! Absolutely loves getting dirty. We went to the park yesterday after the rain. I let him off leash and he went crazy running through every mud puddle in sight. Came to the park with a white dog, left with a brown dog!

By the way, it looks like you have your hands full now! I can't help looking at your pups every week. And after looking at your reference page I have to tell you next time Fergie and Zeke breed, we want a pup! That Digory is gorgeus!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
It is so fun for a breeder to be able to find their puppies on forums and to hear how well they are doing and how much they are loved! I am happy for you all!!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Thanks Donna! I'm glad you keep up with my site, Digory is adorable and looks like he is having soooo much fun, what a life?!!! You just let me know when you are ready and I'm sure I will have that perfect doodle just right for your family and Tucker :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an update on Tuckers morning sickness. We used the dog food grading scale from this forum and moved from Iams (scored D) to NutroMax (scored B) and I started giving him a bedtime snack (nutro dog biscuit) and Tucker has not been sick since. He totally gobbles his food up every morning and evening now. Seems he did not like the Iams. Thanks for the good advice, problem solved-yey!
Donna

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Way ta go :D So glad that you solved the problem with Tucker :) And am so happy it was an easy fix like changing the food. Thanks for the update and give Tucker a big ole kiss from Granny Di :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

This is Tucker's serious black and white shot

These are my boys-I love em!!
Lisa, I love an oppurtunity to show off my boys, thanks for asking!
Donna

1 - 20 of 32 Posts