Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the second time this week we were awakened by Sienna retching in her crate at 6 am. After a few minutes she does produce about a tablespoon of clear liquid (empty stomach juices I assume). I am stumped as to why this happens. We give her about a 1/2 cup of her food at bed-time so that she is not going to sleep on an empty stomach. I still assume it is the empty stomach that is making her sick? The other thought is that maybe she is cleaning herself and gets a hairball in her throat - we only wake-up to the retching so I don't know what she is doing prior to this.

She is happy and healthy and "normal" all other times of the day so I don't think it is illness.

Anyone have a doodle do this too? Any ideas on why or what to do about it? It has only happened a few times so I guess I should try to figure out why some mornings and not others.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i don t know about Toby..but, i have it :cry:

the doctor s told me it was allergies to grass
..so i guess dog s as well can have the same
thing..

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My Sandy vomits bile like that when his stomach gets too empty. For a while I was getting up really early to feed him - but at 15 months he seems to be growing out of it... hopefully!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Our neighbors 3 year old doodle has to have a meal at about 11PM.....or she does this too.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
in the past Max did that and a handful of kibble when we were ready for bed at night seemed to fix that problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My doddle does the same thing and we have already been to the vet for this. She apparently has pretty bad acid reflux. You can give your dog a pepcid tablet once or twice a day and it should help. If the throwing up happens late at night or in the early morning i usually give her an antacid tablet ...she didnt eat them at first but now i think she knows they help her belly and she scarfs them down. We also have our dog on prilosec otc. Acid reflux is more common in dogs than a lot of people think. If there is ever a time that they are throwing up foam as well that is a clear sign of acid reflux.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm... that is interesting, I never thought about acid reflux. Does your doodle get sick only in the morning too? What strength pepcid do you give? Do you think a Tums would do the trick too?

We have been increasing the amount of food we give her just before bed and it hasn't happened again. She does get hiccups early in the morning sometimes too and I wonder if this is also related in some way to the barfing.

We'll keep an eye on it......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts