Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm home alone tonight with my furbabies.
A friend of my sons dropped by, and being the rude young man that he is, walked into my house without knocking. Finding no one in the kitchen or living room, he was headed for the hall that comes down to the office and bedrooms. He got just a couple strides across the living room when Moses came flying at him barking, prancing, jumping around like a welter weight boxer! He was NOT going to let that stranger get to the den where I was.

He actually did manage to look convincing enough that the guy froze in his tracks and was standing with his hands in the air when I walked in. Rather than scold him, I praised Moses wildly in front of the guy for "doing his job and warning me of the intruder" at which time the guys face did manage to get a bit red. Until he left, Moses kept himself positioned between me and "the intruder" and kept up a steady rumble deep in his chest. BOY he was NOT happy!
After he left, Moses leaned against me with this excited "I did good!" look on his silly face. LOL

I just had to share, 'cause I never expected my gentle powderpuff of a boy to jump on the defense like that, but I was sure glad he did! I'm not scared of the guy, but he needs to learn manners, so maybe Moses can teach him some.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Isn't it the coolest feeling the first time they show protectiveness for you? All you know is the cuddly lovey little goofus, til all the sudden there's a snarling serious grown up dog saying "step back, Jack"

When Kevin leaves for midnights, the last thing he says is "guard Mommy" and he takes it totally seriously. He sleeps on Kevin's schedule during the day, so night time is spent pacing back and forth to all the windows and doors gruffing at anything he hears. He even stops in front of the oven door, to check out the dog in the oven, LOLOLOL!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Way to Go Moses !! Good boy protecting Mommy

Tink that must of given you quite a start, would have freaked me to see someone standing there like that

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Alright MOSES........thata boy!!! way to go!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
You do not get near my house without a big old Denver
standing at the door with a very, very loud bark and a stance that
will make you think twice.

If he knows you then he is a big old marshmellow
and will give you anything in the house that you want. :oops:
but if you are a stranger then Denver's size and bark will turn you
around from my door. I am never afraid to be alone in the house
with my baby around.(teehee)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I'm not sure what Annabelle would do in those circumstances, I hope be protective.
She does bark very protectively if someone she doesnt know comes in our drive our near our yard, or the neighbors yard

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
gene said:
Jonah hitting the screen door....even though with glee....is usually enough to make people think twice. :wink:
See to me, that is perfect because people do not know
and will back off. People are weird about the colours of dogs to begin
with anyway, as most people are scared of Denver because he is
dark and tall. Yet I have seen people approach a lighter dog thinking
it will be real friendly and laughed when the dog was not(nobody got hurt)
It is just stupidly remakable to me how people judge dogs by colour and size. Those of you with a light colour and a dark colour dog do you notice any difference from strangers.?????????

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL I'm so glad Moses isn't the only one.
I love that he's protective without being a true threat. It was just SO far removed from his usual "I love everyone" attitude that it surprised me.

My husband is an over the road trucker, and my kids are grown, so I'm home alone most nights. If Moses wants to be my early warning system, more power to him! He can reserve the tail wag and sweet smile for those with enough decency to knock before they enter my home.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Atta Boy Moses! You keep an eye out for Mom!
We've had workmen not come in the house (big guys :shock: ) unless Ebbe is out of the vicinity.
The bark begins it ... followed by the power of her pull and jump. It looks to her doting Mom and Dad that it's her playfulness but now I wonder ...
Again great job Moses ... I bet there was a 'little something' treat for you following that!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We took Tanner to the vet this AM. He had the first appointment and the vet wasn't in yet. We were in the front talking with the tech when Lynette (vet) snuck in the back door. Tanner started to growl....I think it was that the vet didn't look up at us when she shuck in and he was on alert.

When the vet came in to the exam room though, he was his usual sweet self.

Also when I walk Tanner down the street at night in the dark, if anyone is walking, even 2 blocks away, he will growl and really watch them....then he usually turns and makes a beeline for home...so brave
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts